Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Is Spotted Testing LiDAR With Manufacturer Plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have a California plate, there's a way to skip the phrase “dmv.ca.gov” by paying more with a personalized plate.

View attachment 766077

View attachment 766084

images

You can pay about $900 for a digital plate (it's a programmable 2400 x 1034 UHD display) but if you don't pay for a personalized plate, you still can't escape the phrase “dmv.ca.gov”:

gettyimages-963767120_wide-7200de8f331eed3cfae99b91fcc95003662a75f6-s800-c85.webp
That only applies to some of the personal plates available in CA. I have a personal plate (that has personalized text, but is the normal mainly white w/ red/blue accents plate style) that I've had since 2013 and it has the dmv.ca.gov address on it. My plate is considered a "Environmental License Plate (ELP) (BASIC PERSONALIZED PLATE)".

That only applies to some of the personal plates available in CA...
Correct. If I don't pay more for a personalized plate, I have no options to get rid of that phrase “dmv.ca.gov”.

It's a template so some personalized plates still have the phrase while others don't. If I don't like that phrase, I just have to choose the templates that don't have it.

Just because a plate is a MFG registration, it doesn't mean the car is owned by Tesla. Just saying.

There's a confirmation that the LIDAR setup car is from Tesla as @Bugeater talked to them:

There's a confirmation that the LIDAR setup car is from Tesla as @Bugeater talked to them:

OK. Thanks.