Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New user, first-time poster in this forum to bring up something insane (and possibly unprecedented) during my several years as a Tesla owner.

Ever since driving up a mountain summit for a ski trip, my 2021 Model Y Performance has been experiencing all kinds of problems after locking out on a 5,000ft summit and towing it to a service center from there to fix this issue, but temporarily as it turns out. Yes, lockout as in the car being completely unresponsive despite being connected via the app and/or using my card key. App-wise, it's deceiving because the car would sometimes appear "connected" with the doors opened, but would then throw error messages for turning on certain features like climate.

As of writing this, the lockout still happens even after numerous scheduled appointments (e.g. replacing a 12V battery, modules of the vehicle controller, and etc. as attached in this post). This really only happens when the car is out in somewhat cold temperatures (even with my car's climate at 50 degrees in a garage) during an extended period of time such as overnight. But of the very few times I was lucky to get into the car from say, after waiting 30min for the car to wake up, there are usually connection issues with the gears to actually drive the car (while the battery makes the same buzzing noise you hear while supercharging) for another 30min before actually being drivable.

I have yet another appointment scheduled at the service center next week, but this time, will try leaving the car at the service center overnight out in the cold the night prior to the appointment so they can reproduce this lockout on their end even though this has been supposedly fixed the very first time the tow truck dropped off my car from the summit back then. It's very unfortunate that we're going back in circles now.

Which finally brings me to ask... has anyone else experienced this or something similar?

Vlogged about my lockout experience back at the summit:

Attachments

• error1.jpeg
    error1.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 452
  • error2.jpeg
    error2.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 128
  • thumbnail.jpeg
    thumbnail.jpeg
    223.2 KB · Views: 95
  • service_center_invoice.png
    service_center_invoice.png
    140.6 KB · Views: 108
  • service_center_invoice2.png
    service_center_invoice2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 111
  • lockout_thumbnail.jpeg
    lockout_thumbnail.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 117
  • PXL_20220113_142354060.jpg
    PXL_20220113_142354060.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 125
Experiencing the same thing with my model Y it completely locked me out key card won’t work or phone app really frustrating service team won’t come out until one week later it’s ridiculous
How did the lockout start happening? Was your situation like mine driving up a summit and/or out in the cold?

But yes, definitely a ridiculous process for sure. It lasted me a good 2-3 months of trying to get this fixed with the service team, and shipping delays for ordering parts didn't help at all. Fortunately, it wasn't until my third visit at the service center that my Model Y started to unlock/drive properly again. With the invoice shown below, replacing the driver-side body controller (instead of just the front-side at my previous appointment) did the trick. Also, setting a PIN that gets checked before driving may have helped as well unless it was part of a software update. Good luck either way.

Screenshot_20220328-192921.png