Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Long Range Only Hits 220 miles in Real World Test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With around 30-40 degree is northeast, heat set to 68 degree, no heated seat or steering wheel turn on, i can get 270 kwM with 50/50 mixed highway and city driving. Max speed was 75-80, cruise at 70mph most of the time.

270 kWM / 75kWh = 277 miles
277/326 = 85%

So the range is 85% of advertised, that’s not bad in cold winter, i am very happy.

BUT, to achieve this number, i needed to be very very careful with my foot, you absolutely CANNOT mesh the throttle or try to accelerate the car fast, and once you up to speed, you need to maintain constant speed as long as possible. many quick acceleration from 0-20mph will kill your range! (but it is so tempted to do!!)
It is easier to do with chill mode.
If i don’t pay attention, it can easier be 310-340kwM!

just my 2cents :)

It’s interesting to note that they must also have tested a 2021 Model Y since they’re mentioning it has 80+ kWh... I was pretty sure the 2020s were like 72-75kWh.

You are correct, 75kWh.
InsideEVs misquoted Car and Driver's article.
Then misinformation gets pushed around to unsuspecting readers. Screenshot_20210228-211708_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20210228-211824_Samsung Internet.jpg

Although I like to get the max range, but the enjoyment of driving it's important for me. I always never pay attention to range, accelerate whenever I feel like, max speed 90mph if I need to. If I have to stop for charging, then no big deal for me. It's easier for me to say since I am in California where DCFC is everywhere. But the point is if you have fast charging available, do you care to drive to max out the range? I really don't care, I just enjoy driving and never care about stopping many times to charge.

Although I like to get the max range, but the enjoyment of driving it's important for me. I always never pay attention to range, accelerate whenever I feel like, max speed 90mph if I need to. If I have to stop for charging, then no big deal for me. It's easier for me to say since I am in California where DCFC is everywhere. But the point is if you have fast charging available, do you care to drive to max out the range? I really don't care, I just enjoy driving and never care about stopping many times to charge.
Go outside of CA and you care. Add cold weather, loads of rain or snow, and often 100+ miles between superchargers, or more stressful, ONE supercharger on a 200+ mile route. Sure it’s in the middle which makes it 100 miles to the supercharger and 100 miles after it... but what if that supercharger is damaged, the town doesn’t have power, or it’s offline for any other reason.

220 miles realistically is 150 to 180 in the winter conditions. It would be nice if it actually got 300 on the highway because that means in winter you’ll have 200 or more...

CA is a little weird area that isn’t representative of most places so there is a lot of care for the majority of owners.

Go outside of CA and you care. Add cold weather, loads of rain or snow, and often 100+ miles between superchargers, or more stressful, ONE supercharger on a 200+ mile route. Sure it’s in the middle which makes it 100 miles to the supercharger and 100 miles after it... but what if that supercharger is damaged, the town doesn’t have power, or it’s offline for any other reason.

220 miles realistically is 150 to 180 in the winter conditions. It would be nice if it actually got 300 on the highway because that means in winter you’ll have 200 or more...

CA is a little weird area that isn’t representative of most places so there is a lot of care for the majority of owners.
This is what I'm scared about

I live in sunny OC but I'm doing a road trip to Portland in June. There are stretches of over 150 miles with zero superchargers.

That 220 miles of range is the equivalent of 341 wh/mi. I've never gotten more than 305 wh/mi in 20F temps. Most of my drives are 270 wh/mi to 300 wh/mi, speeds of 65-75 mph, cabin at 67-68F, 2 seat warmers, mid 20F temps. Same drives in 70F is 240-250 wh/mi.

My lifetime efficiency is 262 wh/mi. I'm guessing these publications aren't pre-conditioning during colder months.

That 220 miles of range is the equivalent of 341 wh/mi. I've never gotten more than 305 wh/mi in 20F temps. Most of my drives are 270 wh/mi to 300 wh/mi, speeds of 65-75 mph, cabin at 67-68F, 2 seat warmers, mid 20F temps. Same drives in 70F is 240-250 wh/mi.

My lifetime efficiency is 262 wh/mi. I'm guessing these publications aren't pre-conditioning during colder months.
But it states that the model Y was done at 75 degrees? so weather was fairly good. I think 220 miles at 75 mph isn’t terrible.

But it states that the model Y was done at 75 degrees? so weather was fairly good. I think 220 miles at 75 mph isn’t terrible.
Numbers still seem off. Using the Scan My Tesla app, the rear motor needs about 25 kW to maintain 75 mph, approximately. 80 kWh pack divided by 25 kW = 3.2 kW per mile, or 312.5 wh/mi efficiency. 80 kWh pack divided by 312 watts per mile = 256 miles of range.

This does not bode well for me and my road trip from OC to oregon in June

(For road tripping, actual range isn't critical. Many have posted that the most efficient way to road trip is to keep between 10% and 65% SOC.

I proved this yesterday. 150 kW Supercharger, took me from 28 miles to 192 miles of range in 15 minutes. Road trip? That's a very brief stop, about every 150 miles.)

This is what I'm scared about

I live in sunny OC but I'm doing a road trip to Portland in June. There are stretches of over 150 miles with zero superchargers.

What version of the Y do you have? If you're worried about range on any single section, just reduce speed to like 65 mph, that should help with range right away and a 10 mph difference only adds 1.5 hours over a 700 mile trip.

Yah, I hear you. That's why I say "it's easy for me to say since I am in California". Yes, I feel the pain where there is fewer chargers. I feel very lucky, never have issues with charge stations in Bay Area, California. Road trip from NoCal to SoCal is very easy too, so many charging stations along highway 5. Yes, I am very lucky :)

Yeah, it doesn't seem to pass the basic sniff test. The Y has been out for nearly a year and people have been performing range tests ever since (see below for an example). Seems like they need to publish bad info and numbers to get clicks now.

Tesla Model Y 70 MPH Highway Range Test: How Far Did It Go?
They managed to drive 253 miles with an efficiency rate of 283 Wh/mi.

Numbers still seem off. Using the Scan My Tesla app, the rear motor needs about 25 kW to maintain 75 mph, approximately. 80 kWh pack divided by 25 kW = 3.2 kW per mile, or 312.5 wh/mi efficiency. 80 kWh pack divided by 312 watts per mile = 256 miles of range.

Reactions: pt19713
Yeah, it doesn't seem to pass the basic sniff test. The Y has been out for nearly a year and people have been performing range tests ever since (see below for an example). Seems like they need to publish bad info and numbers to get clicks now.

Tesla Model Y 70 MPH Highway Range Test: How Far Did It Go?
They managed to drive 253 miles with an efficiency rate of 283 Wh/mi.

Yeah, 283 wh/mi at 70 mph.
I pretty much avoid watching the clickbait YouTube videos. They're pretty obvious with their large bold letters, like "7 reasons why I hate my Tesla!" it's all for the clicks. A lot of articles are doing the same for the ad revenue.