Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Long Range vs AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are replacing my wife's 2014 QX60 with a Model Y as soon as possible. She still has range anxiety and wants as much range as possible. She has to see that 300 miles on the screen. (At least for the first few months until the degradation kicks in)
I want AWD for rain and snow travel (It hardly rains and never snows here in my part of CA). I really want the 4.8 0-60 time. (My friend has a Porsche Macan S and talked crap about Tesla. I have to have better stats than him.) Losing 20 miles in range means nothing to me. I currently drive a 2016 MX75D with 17 miles of degradation.
Why does Tesla make 300 miles of range and AWD on the Model Y mutually exclusive?
300 miles with AWD or 320 miles with Long range would have been perfect for me. Maybe I'll get lucky and Tesla will tweak the options line up before launch.
Which package should we order?
What options are you considering?

We are replacing my wife's 2014 QX60 with a Model Y as soon as possible. She still has range anxiety and wants as much range as possible. She has to see that 300 miles on the screen. (At least for the first few months until the degradation kicks in)
I want AWD for rain and snow travel (It hardly rains and never snows here in my part of CA). I really want the 4.8 0-60 time. (My friend has a Porsche Macan S and talked crap about Tesla. I have to have better stats than him.) Losing 20 miles in range means nothing to me. I currently drive a 2016 MX75D with 17 miles of degradation.
Why does Tesla make 300 miles of range and AWD on the Model Y mutually exclusive?
300 miles with AWD or 320 miles with RWD would have been perfect for me. Maybe I'll get lucky and Tesla will tweak the options line up before launch.

• Funny
Reactions: Watts_Up and VQTRVA
AWD is slightly less efficient than RWD. The numbers just calculated where they did.
300 miles isn't a magic number. For most folks the magic number is around 100 miles. It's just the press, the folks that don't understand what they are saying where the number becomes that big.
It may go up before production

Tesla Model Y Long Range RWD vs AWD
In one case you get about 200+ hp with the single motor, and 400+ hp otherwise, for an additional 10% of the Price.
So easy answer, unless you are on a budjet and looking for the SR+, IMO the LR AWD is a better choice than the LR RWD.

Unless you are driving only on freeways, with the AWD, beside rain or snow conditions, you will immediatly feel the difference
with a dual motor when driving on cuving roads going up the hill with passengers with a lot of gears.

If you really need more range for a particular trip with few superchargers, just reduce your speed then.
Anyway, you could theorically drive from 100% to 5%m but basically never charge more than 80 to 90%
and go below 10 to 20%, so typcal range is more around 200 miles for the

Note: I really don't know why the Model Y will be available with LR RWD, while the Model 3 only has LR AWD.
I suspect that for the first models, only the RWD and the P will be available, and then the LR AWD will become available,
and eventually the LR RWD will be discontinued and replaced with the SR+ RWD to simplyfy the number of versions to deliver.

I imagine that only the LR AWD and the P will have the 7 seats option.
Now knowing if the tow hitch option will be available, this is what I am waiting for.
I ordered the LR AWD 19" FSD in May 2019, but may be I will opt for the P- 19" if available.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dadiggaman
I watch TeslaBjorn on youtube a bit. He has a new tool that shows how much energy is being used by each motor. One of the motors (can't remember if it was front or rear) goes to sleep as soon as you reach a steady speed. So it doesn't use very much energy except during acceleration. So mostly freeway driving would be very close to a LR RWD.

We are a little bit in the same place. Recently purchased a Model 3 LR AWD and couldn’t be more pleased with it. Seriously considering ordering a Y for my wife with the 7 seat option.

If the rated range for the AWD was 300, I’d place the deposit today. My only hesitation is on one of our two main long distance trips in a year (one up north and one down south) there was some perceived range anxiety on the 180 miles between Atlanta & Tifton on a cool morning. We could add a stop in Macon, but a bit inconvenient.

I understand the Y is a heavier car, thus less range, but as of now going to wait.

We are a little bit in the same place. Recently purchased a Model 3 LR AWD and couldn’t be more pleased with it. Seriously considering ordering a Y for my wife with the 7 seat option.

If the rated range for the AWD was 300, I’d place the deposit today. My only hesitation is on one of our two main long distance trips in a year (one up north and one down south) there was some perceived range anxiety on the 180 miles between Atlanta & Tifton on a cool morning. We could add a stop in Macon, but a bit inconvenient.

I understand the Y is a heavier car, thus less range, but as of now going to wait.

Same with me - given the model 3 owner complaints about range dropping below 300 for dual motor cars, I'm concerned that the 280mi range estimate may not be accurate? I'd even consider a rear wheel drive LR model if I was confident the car would get >300 miles of range.

I'm also struggling with this. I'd prefer a AWD, but at 280 miles range (and with many of the Model 3's having range haircuts 1 year in), I'm thinking about the difference between this and our current 2015 Model S85D. That car gets 265-270 miles of range and cost about the same (used), so is the Y really any better for us (aside from sitting slightly higher)?

I would also like the range to be a bit higher.
Wife wants AWD, so that's not a whole lot more than my MR 3; 280 vs ~250.
250 isn't quite enough to be comfortable, as we are a bit short on chargers around here. 300 would make me feel a little better.

The recent software upgrade bumped the range of M3. Y stays the same. Tesla has not updated it yet. It is quite possible, that AWD will hit 300 or more when it is released.

I think we’ve seen the range bump is meaningless for current owners and more of a marketing benefit for Tesla’s new customers. My AWD has seen range go from 310 down to to 295-299 in a year. There’s been no increase as a result of any software update for me, and according to Stats, my efficiency is better than 97% of other Mode 3 owners.

I went with RWD for a few reasons. Range is king for me since we plan on doing a bunch of longer trips so it will make a difference how often and how long we need to stop for charging. Where I live, snow tires are needed and Model 3 RWD with snow tires perform exceptionally well for the conditions we get. These are heavy cars but the traction control is very well sorted. I also like that it's less cost and complexity.

We have both a LR RWD Model 3 and LR AWD Model 3. The RWD is much more efficient and we take that on most road trips. The AWD we take on ski trips. I really wish the AWD had more range, as cold weather on ski trips reduces range even further. It would be awesome to be able to make it up to Tahoe without stopping for charging.

When Elon releases a 100kW battery AWD Model Y, we'll be first in line to trade one of our Model 3s in.

Since Model Y order page was last updated in August 2019, Model Y SR+ and AWD LR got 10 and 12 mile boosts, respectively. I am curious if Tesla will keep the real wheel drive LR variant for Model Y since it's no longer an option for Model 3. Tesla likes to keep things consistent. My guess is that they will make the rear-wheel LR for a limited time to satisfy the early orders and then phase it out and go to SR+, LR AWD and P AWD trims (or maybe scrap the LR rear wheel drive altogether prior to production). Bigger picture is that it's a safe bet that Model Y will cost ~10% more than Model 3 and have ~10% less range and the two products will coexist similarly to how Model X and S do now. Another thing to keep in mind is that Tesla constantly makes improvements in specs and will host a battery investor day around the same time the first Model Ys will start shipping. So good chance we may see a boost in specs around the same time so as to not kill then current sales. I may go out on a limb here but I think there is a good chance that the AWD LR Y will have an EPA >300 range by the time it hits full production in 2H20/1H21.

300 miles with AWD or 320 miles with Long range would have been perfect for me. Maybe I'll get lucky and Tesla will tweak the options line up before launch.