Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y-LR in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, well now that the Y-SR and Y-P have been released in Australia, I wanted to start a specific thread in search of the Long Range model Y Here. The reason is that the existing Model Y thread is getting large and many people are happy discussing the available ones now. But I want to keep a very sharp eye on the LR and jump when (if) they get released. And tracking that is hard without a specific thread especially since it won't have its own separate page on the Tesla AU website (Which I have been refreshing every morning and night for months).

In the meantime I have ordered a YP but due to indecision (its not our preferred model) we missed the first delivery window and fell into Feb-May 23. As a positive, thats plenty of time to wait for an LR release and change horses midstream IF (yes IF) it gets released to Aus.

I hope this thread is very short lived!

Reactions: Stuart2023
Taking some inspiration from Tesla's FSD approach - you might be better off using some AI to check for Y-LR being added to order page. Or just do what I did last week and tune in to Tesla Tom's Ludicrous Feed Youtube livestream on a Thurs evening and get an insightful prediction the night before it drops! In the meantime, you can watch this Australian family test out a Y-LR in the US

OK, this thread not really grabbing the public's attention! But thanks Praveen and congratulations on your order. I have ordered a YP but hoping to move across to the YLR if it becomes available.

However I have a questionfor long term Teslaratis: what would be the clear signs that a Long Range model is coming?

I see on the Aus Tesla site that the LR model has disappeared, would that come back in advance of orders? I have a feeling that I heard the YSR and YP had got some sort of Australian certification a few months ago, is there a similar step needed for the LR which would be very public. I think Vedaprime on Twitter keeps track of these things.

Cheers all.

OK, this thread not really grabbing the public's attention! But thanks Praveen and congratulations on your order. I have ordered a YP but hoping to move across to the YLR if it becomes available.

However I have a questionfor long term Teslaratis: what would be the clear signs that a Long Range model is coming?

I see on the Aus Tesla site that the LR model has disappeared, would that come back in advance of orders? I have a feeling that I heard the YSR and YP had got some sort of Australian certification a few months ago, is there a similar step needed for the LR which would be very public. I think Vedaprime on Twitter keeps track of these things.

Cheers all.
With the price increase, you probably better off staying with the P even if the LR order is open in the near future.

Reactions: positiv
A drop off in YP orders, due to everyone who really wants a P having ordered one, and everyone who really wants an LR keeping their money in their pockets. (And prices going up, of course.) Once that starts to happen, the LR will be announced as night follows day. That said, I don't believe for a minute that Tesla doesn't have a plan as to when, but front line employees probably aren't told so there's no point asking them. My guess, FWIW, is in months rather than years.

Reactions: Stuart2023

Cheers all.

Let me know if you have any leads. My trigger finger is ready to order Y-LR haha.

I reckon it will be at least 6 months unfortuntaely :(

Let me know if you have any leads. My trigger finger is ready to order Y-LR haha.

I reckon it will be at least 6 months unfortuntaely :(
I am checking twice a day at least almost every day. Friday seems to be the favoured orders release day based on two releases. But I think the LR specs etc will have to reappear on the AU Model Y page well ahead of a release just so they (Tesla) know there are not going to be any last minute IT glitches on a release.

I am checking twice a day at least almost every day. Friday seems to be the favoured orders release day based on two releases. But I think the LR specs etc will have to reappear on the AU Model Y page well ahead of a release just so they (Tesla) know there are not going to be any last minute IT glitches on a release.
Haha wow you are keen. No one knows but I doubt it will be in the next 3 months. Not even sure if it will be this year.

Taking some inspiration from Tesla's FSD approach - you might be better off using some AI to check for Y-LR being added to order page. Or just do what I did last week and tune in to Tesla Tom's Ludicrous Feed Youtube livestream on a Thurs evening and get an insightful prediction the night before it drops! In the meantime, you can watch this Australian family test out a Y-LR in the US
Hi Simon, sorry somehow I missed your post. I will check these links out but as far as AI goes, I have enough trouble assembling enough personal intelligence to get by every day so artificial is a stretch too far 🤪

• Funny
Reactions: *Sparkles*
Guys, they won't open orders for the Long Range until they've delivered some Performances. Otherwise they risk being stuck with excess Performance stock as people cancel their orders.

Given that Y-Performance orders haven't been assigned any VIN's, and the Gigafactory is going into shutdown, and the website states Feb-May for new orders, we will be waiting a while.

They're just keeping up with MYLR in the UK and they've been able to order since OCT21, whatever capacity in Shanghai given to RHD MYLR will be given priority to the UK first (The waiting lit for MYLR if you order now in the UK is Oct-Dec 2022). Because we already have two models available and the sales on the MY RWD is going gangbusters, we would need to see a massive slow down in ordering of both the RWD and P before the LR.

Also remember that currently China is the ONLY market that you can order all three variants of the of the Model Y... I don't see how we would be offered all three variants before the US and European markets as we're not a huge nor super attractive markets items of incentives. I don't see either Berlin nor Texas being made to RH vehicles given they're barely keeping up manufacturing of the LHD ones, not to mention the real possibility of spot covid related shutdowns in Shanghai affecting RHD cars further.

They're just keeping up with MYLR in the UK and they've been able to order since OCT21, whatever capacity in Shanghai given to RHD MYLR will be given priority to the UK first (The waiting lit for MYLR if you order now in the UK is Oct-Dec 2022). Because we already have two models available and the sales on the MY RWD is going gangbusters, we would need to see a massive slow down in ordering of both the RWD and P before the LR.

Also remember that currently China is the ONLY market that you can order all three variants of the of the Model Y... I don't see how we would be offered all three variants before the US and European markets as we're not a huge nor super attractive markets items of incentives. I don't see either Berlin nor Texas being made to RH vehicles given they're barely keeping up manufacturing of the LHD ones, not to mention the real possibility of spot covid related shutdowns in Shanghai affecting RHD cars further.
Good point. We could be waiting 12+ months realistically :(