Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y-LR in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
with the way price rises are going, I think those of us who ordered the MYP will be laughing as by the time the LR comes out it'll probably be more expensive than the P is today.
I am in this category too. And starting to like the prospect of a MYP so if they release the LR it could be a line ball decision now....have accepted the possibility they may not do so, as silly as that seems to me. Plenty of time for me, I ordered the Monday after after the release so am in the post-Feb 2023 group and happy enough with that.

I am in this category too. And starting to like the prospect of a MYP so if they release the LR it could be a line ball decision now....have accepted the possibility they may not do so, as silly as that seems to me. Plenty of time for me, I ordered the Monday after after the release so am in the post-Feb 2023 group and happy enough with that.
Problem with the MYP is those 21" wheels which I'm personally not a fan of. I ended up ordering a M3LR as I couldn't wait for the Y and after seeing both in the flesh, the 3 looks better (subjective I know)

Reactions: Stuart2023
Problem with the MYP is those 21" wheels which I'm personally not a fan of. I ended up ordering a M3LR as I couldn't wait for the Y and after seeing both in the flesh, the 3 looks better (subjective I know)
Hi K9 (Dr Who ref?), I don't really like any of the current Tesla wheels but dislike the turbines less than the rest! I really like the 19inch third party wheels that Bjorn put on a Model Y but doubt I'd want to pay a few thousand more for them unless I had a firm buyer for the std ones. Re Y vs 3, if I wanted a 3 I would have had one long ago. Wanted to hold out for the higher ride, bigger boot entry on the Y. Critical differences for us. Each to their own. I also can't say I like the front styling of either model but am willing to swallow that for the pure EV, range, performance, electronics integration etc etc. Love 'em from the rear though (or side for that matter) and that's what most people will see ;)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: *Sparkles*
Same for me. As the Y would have been a more functional for my rural location and dirt road to shed but opted for some underbody protection for the 3LR and saved 20K. 20" rims don't work well in the bush and Ill live with a little less boot access and opposed to a hatch and have more performance and range if I go for the upgrade download.

I'm in the same boat, I would've preferred a Y-LR, but I'm solving the 21" Uberturbine Wheel 'problem'. I bought a guy's set of 19" Gemini Wheels without tyres, and hoping to get Michelin Pilot EV tyres for them. And I ordered aftermarket Aero Covers to replace the imo ugly ones. Many high quality options are available these days, and even symmetrical (mirror imaged), unlike most wheels or covers:

Because I live in the hinterland, I really wanted the big battery. So I bit the bullet and ordered a MYP, but worry about our terrible roads and ride comfort. But I'm hoping to get close to the comfort and efficiency of a Y-LR with the Gemini wheels. Selling the Überturbines should pay for all of this. At one stage Tesla offered the Gemini wheels as a Winter Package option for MYPs, and quite a few owners in the states run them without problems.
Even Elon once replied to a tweet that the reduction in range vs the MYP is basically due to the wheels and tyres.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221215-093841.jpg
    Screenshot_20221215-093841.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Reactions: Blue heaven
I'm in the same boat, I would've preferred a Y-LR, but I'm solving the 21" Uberturbine Wheel 'problem'. I bought a guy's set of 19" Gemini Wheels without tyres, and hoping to get Michelin Pilot EV tyres for them. And I ordered aftermarket Aero Covers to replace the imo ugly ones. Many high quality options are available these days, and even symmetrical (mirror imaged), unlike most wheels or covers:

Because I live in the hinterland, I really wanted the big battery. So I bit the bullet and ordered a MYP, but worry about our terrible roads and ride comfort. But I'm hoping to get close to the comfort and efficiency of a Y-LR with the Gemini wheels. Selling the Überturbines should pay for all of this. At one stage Tesla offered the Gemini wheels as a Winter Package option for MYPs, and quite a few owners in the states run them without problems.
Even Elon once replied to a tweet that the reduction in range vs the MYP is basically due to the wheels and tyres.
It’s really not that bad, despite what you read online. People just whinge. I have 20” on my 3 and it’s fine, slightly firmer than the 19s but I got used to it after a week. If you live on a *sugar* road with potholes etc then yes, I understand.

Reactions: tom_kauf
Does anyone have any clue/guesses as to when the MY-LR might come to Australia? I ordered a MY-SR but man, I'm worried about the 450km WLTP. Also, how do all of your MY-SR owners feel about the current range?

At 100% mine shows 435km. No issues around town of course. On road trips highway driving you get around 350km (90-110km speeds). Sydney-Gold Coast return we charged 3-4 times each way on super chargers. No issues. I would wait for the LR if you really need AWD, otherwise take the SR and enjoy your time with it.

Reactions: Hairyman
I won't be until they start delivering the Performance variant, otherwise they'll miss out on a bunch of profit from people changing their orders.

And it's anyone's guess when they'll start delivering the Performance. It could be soon, or it could be delayed again.

Reactions: positiv
Maybe use the existing thread?

Does anyone have any clue/guesses as to when the MY-LR might come to Australia? I ordered a MY-SR but man, I'm worried about the 450km WLTP. Also, how do all of your MY-SR owners feel about the current range?
@Chris Lin
3 different standard range model Ys have been driven around Australia in 14 days, 16 days and 17 days, range is not an issue.

Reactions: Maximillan
I won't be until they start delivering the Performance variant, otherwise they'll miss out on a bunch of profit from people changing their orders.

And it's anyone's guess when they'll start delivering the Performance. It could be soon, or it could be delayed again.
This +1

Tesla won't be releasing any LR variant until they've started delivering the Performance model. The Performance is basically the same hardware but with a larger profit margin. Why would Tesla leave money on the table?

Why would Tesla leave money on the table?
Some of us simply won’t be upsold a performance, and I am now considering the cheaper model, an SR instead. For our market, with the introduction of FBT exemption only applicable to cars not subject to the LCT, the performance is simply not the right car for some us. Having said that, I think it is touch and go if the LR will be priced below the LCT threshold, if and when it does get released.

Reactions: Stuart2023
Fully agree, if a Model Y-LR (Blue/Red) was priced under the LCT in Australia I believe many more would be sold. Even a Model Y-'2' motor standard range one, it's the performance I would be after not the extra bit of range. Looking at a Model 3-LR instead but if I place an order unsure could I change it to a Model Y-LR / Model Y-'2 motor' came up.