Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y-LR in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even a Model Y-'2' motor standard range one, it's the performance I would be after not the extra bit of range.
There isn't one because performance and range go hand-in-hand: in order to get the performance you need a battery capable of higher sustained output, which means more cells, which means more range. There's additional tweaks possible on top of that (eg to go from the LR to the P) but a bigger battery is table stakes.

in order to get the performance you need a battery capable of higher sustained output, which means more cells, which means more range.
Thats not true.
Model S tri motor plaid has less range than the dual motor
Model 3 performance has less range than the dual motor
Model y dual motor has longer range but that not necessarily because it needs a bigger battery. If Tesla wanted to it could do a Model y RWD long range.

Thats not true.
Model S tri motor plaid has less range than the dual motor
Model 3 performance has less range than the dual motor
That is the "additional tweaks". The Model 3 RWD battery is not sufficient to run the Model 3 Performance - you could not have a P with the RWD-size battery, it does not have the output.

Model y dual motor has longer range but that not necessarily because it needs a bigger battery. If Tesla wanted to it could do a Model y RWD long range.
It's the other way around for the LR - once you put in the bigger battery for range, you naturally get more output, which means you have the ability to add that second motor for more performance almost for free. Of course they could do a RWD Long Range - there was a short-lived one of those in the Model 3 lineup - it's the opposite ("short range performance") I'm saying doesn't really exist.

Does anyone have any clue/guesses as to when the MY-LR might come to Australia? I ordered a MY-SR but man, I'm worried about the 450km WLTP. Also, how do all of your MY-SR owners feel about the current range?
This video should answer your questions. I just did Gundagai to Chatswood at mostly 110km/h and got 131Wh/km in a MY RWD that was loaded to the brim.

This video should answer your questions. I just did Gundagai to Chatswood at mostly 110km/h and got 131Wh/km in a MY RWD that was loaded to the brim.
That is really good going for the Y. Shows the Tesla drivetrain and aero at its best.
But we are in some of the best temperatures for EV's at the moment.
When winter comes that is where any LR Tesla will be worth the price for some.
I know you and many of us are aware of how temp kills the range but there are many EV owners that have taken delivery post September and think their cars will satisfy their range all the time (whirlpool).
I suspect many of the ATTO 3 buyers will be a little shocked come winter 2023 when doing long trips and having to DCFC. Don't think those cars have preconditioning built-in whilst driving to a DCFC either?
I do like using chargefox Goulburn if it's available for quick top ups when I do Syd-Can and handy to use the big M so I hope don't get caught behind a few of these in June. Will be painfully slow I guess.
Always have Tesla SC as backup though.

That is really good going for the Y. Shows the Tesla drivetrain and aero at its best.
But we are in some of the best temperatures for EV's at the moment.
When winter comes that is where any LR Tesla will be worth the price for some.
I know you and many of us are aware of how temp kills the range but there are many EV owners that have taken delivery post September and think their cars will satisfy their range all the time (whirlpool).
I suspect many of the ATTO 3 buyers will be a little shocked come winter 2023 when doing long trips and having to DCFC. Don't think those cars have preconditioning built-in whilst driving to a DCFC either?
I do like using chargefox Goulburn if it's available for quick top ups when I do Syd-Can and handy to use the big M so I hope don't get caught behind a few of these in June. Will be painfully slow I guess.
Always have Tesla SC as backup though.
Their is talk of a dual motor standard range Y using 4680 cells in USA.
Tesla UK has approx 50 of the MY AWD LR RHD in stock now, HongKong about 8. Will be great if Tesla offer the same model for Australia to order now. A Model Y AWD LR RHD. (Ship them here) Ideally slightly cheaper than the current +$5k Aus gap for the M3->MY price, if the total is below the LCT I think many would get them via a Novated lease and would save a lot. Current estimate would put a ‘Blue’ one about $300 over the limit unfortunately (take the 5 models for sale in Aus now and work out where the 6th would fit = $81,900), add Blue, delivery, order and plate fee, ends slightly over today. Fingers Crossed.

Reactions: Punchbuggy
Tesla UK has approx 50 of the MY AWD LR RHD in stock now, HongKong about 8. Will be great if Tesla offer the same model for Australia to order now. A Model Y AWD LR RHD. (Ship them here) Ideally slightly cheaper than the current +$5k Aus gap for the M3->MY price, if the total is below the LCT I think many would get them via a Novated lease and would save a lot. Current estimate would put a ‘Blue’ one about $300 over the limit unfortunately (take the 5 models for sale in Aus now and work out where the 6th would fit = $81,900), add Blue, delivery, order and plate fee, ends slightly over today. Fingers Crossed.
I guess there is a valid point that if there are now an excess of RHD YLRs versus orders out of china, they may send some our way.
But conventional wisdom has it that they won't release YLR here until all the initial YP deliveries are made. Like many, I would seriously consider swapping from performance to long range, and I believe they want to maximise YP sales in preference to LR Due to the much higher margins. At present it is looking like YP deliveries will start late Feb (a very few people from day one now have VINs) and likely go through to Mar/Apr or later. We see NZ are getting more YP VINs than us in Oz.
Another reason to wait rather than take up a YP order - i.e. lose the deposit - (there's always a reason!) is to hold out for things like more range (next gen batteries, which do seem a long way off for China) or paint colours (like those ex-Berlin but again that may need a paint shop plant upgrade in Shanghai). I am definitely in two minds on "my" YP but having ordered on the 4th day (13 June), I likely won't be allocated in first few delivery shipments. Fingers crossed indeed!

MYP White/Black no options no tradein, OD 13/6/22. Melbourne

I think I will also jump ship too to MY LR if it is release . We are all so used to waiting for our MYP so I dont care if I wait another 4-6 month as long as tesla will accept the order.

Maybe Y LR might scrape just below $85k to meet the new EV incentive as some suggested in previous post. Hopefully Tesla Aus is smart enough to price the MY LR with no option just below the threshold...

Reactions: Stuart2023
I would go a 'base' model MYP, (with the higher spec AWD motors), instead of a MYLR AWD, if it did come in under the LCT limit for Novated Leases FBT Exemption. Can't see it happening yet but options... (what models AWD Model Y models could come in under $84,916, inc colour, delivery fee, plate cost) (if you know the big savings possible under a Novated Lease for EV's now FBT exempt), and they could offer SW upgrades or Service HW upgrades for all the extras later...

Base Model Y AWD P (lower retail price) then, aftermarket:
  1. Increased top speed from 217 km/h to 250 km/h. - could be a SW upgrade
  2. 21’’ Überturbine Wheels - sell with 19" to get lower retail and and options for 20" ,21" aftermarket if desired
  3. Performance Brakes - have this as a service upgrade if desired
  4. Lowered suspension - potential service upgrade ?
  5. Aluminum alloy pedals - have this as a service upgrade
  6. Carbon fiber spoiler - already is a service upgrade for model 3
others: Sell slower and SW upgrade "performance boost"

Note this is all moot if the retail price > LCT limit.

Just saying Tesla have been keen to drop retail price under certain Gov incentive limits in other countries, Aus has similar just different schemes and limits, but the savings are big / bigger pending a lot of factors. (Not financial advice, but contact a Novated Lease company if you don't know the savings or options)

I'm going to go the highest performance MY. aka an AWD, either LR (if offered) or a base P if under the LCT limit (if offered) and then later upgrade, what's missing over time.

Sadly it looks like the announced Vedaprime breaking news is that a US LHD 4680 battery test car is coming to Oz for harsh climate testing. Not the news any of us was looking for and NOT pending release of the Y-LR. Sigh.
Did it say if it was a RWD, or AWD model at all ? Seems like the lower cost USA Model Y 4680 RWD with not much advantage yet, eg we already have the lower cost Model Y RWD with LFP batteries in Aus (eg approx $69K) (not offered in USA), unless they make a AWD or LR out of 4680 for Aus ? or let Aus buy a AWD/LR model Y 4680 from USA productions as they rampup ? I can't see it changing our low cost Model Y that much compared to LFP prices we have now (could be surprised).

I think Tesla could open orders for an Aus Y-AWD-LR now, even if 9mths away, they then see the demand in Aus for a AWD Y-LR (we are a big country...) and then they might make it quicker if a lot of demand is seen, having the option and knowing the potential price is key now (aka locking in an order under the LCT limit now), I would place an order waiting 6-9mths... for a Model Y-AWD. eg Polstar 3 is now taking orders for 12mths away (enticing customers) , just say how far away and people accept it or not.

PS: Tesla make a Model Y-AWD-LR-RHD NCA batteries for UK, Hongkong today and I believe already have Aus approvals a year ago, so would not be a matter of making something new, just if demand is their at a price. (fingers still crossed),

or they maybe making a Model Y-AWD-LR 4680 NCA cell in USA next, that they then might make a RHD model of and sell in Aus,UK,HK (like the S and X today) ?

Did it say if it was a RWD, or AWD model at all ? Seems like the lower cost USA Model Y 4680 RWD with not much advantage yet, eg we already have the lower cost Model Y RWD with LFP batteries in Aus (eg approx $69K) (not offered in USA), unless they make a AWD or LR out of 4680 for Aus ? or let Aus buy a AWD/LR model Y 4680 from USA productions as they rampup ? I can't see it changing our low cost Model Y that much compared to LFP prices we have now (could be surprised).

No, all that was mentioned was "2022 Austin built Tesla Model Y left hand drive".

Twitter post: Breaking news for Australia

What sort of Govt approval do they need to run a car here for a long extended test? Would it have to be entered on the approved models database (forget what that is at the moment)? I assume they would want it running around the outback on public roads not just circling Lang Lang or similar test track. Surely "they" would want to rack up 50,000 km or far more to get meaningful stats. Guessing they want some results before the US summer otherwise they would test it in death valley or something.

Getting somewhat off topic but it's interesting (still disappointed though). I am with you Stuart, would LOVE that german cherry red but no real hope of it for us this year.