Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y - no parcel shelf

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just looking at some of the photos of the Model Y on the Y forum. It might seem like a small detail, but I find it inconceivable that the Model Y doesn’t have a parcel shelf to cover the contents of the hatch back.

That seems so odd in the UK, where every hatch I’ve owned - and most I’ve seen - have one and people use them.

I guess a third party solution will arrive.

• Funny
Reactions: WarpedOne
thats-inconceivable.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-14_14-52-22.png
    upload_2020-3-14_14-52-22.png
    69.8 KB · Views: 179
  • Informative
Reactions: lklundin
I was just looking at some of the photos of the Model Y on the Y forum. It might seem like a small detail, but I find it inconceivable that the Model Y doesn’t have a parcel shelf to cover the contents of the hatch back.

That seems so odd in the UK, where every hatch I’ve owned - and most I’ve seen - have one and people use them.

I guess a third party solution will arrive.

Well the good news is that thieves won't bother breaking the window if they can see nothing is there!

Reactions: ringi
It’s a bizarre decision not to have a parcel shelf of pull out cover. I was also surprised to see the Y is a couple of inches wider than a 3. Not much but enough to make it much harder to get in and out of my garage.

I love the wider opening and powered hatchback on my 4 series GC. But the 3 is already not exactly a compact car, so the Y being even wider is a shame. Apparently it has *less* width inside for rear passengers which I find strange?

Does anyone actually do anything with a parcel shelf? The last time I remember actually “using” one was to stick 6x9” speakers in back when I thought listening to distorted bass music was the height of cool.

Only time I remember doing anything with parcel shelves in any car I’ve had since has been removing them so I could get something big on the seats.

Reactions: Joelly
Does anyone actually do anything with a parcel shelf? The last time I remember actually “using” one was to stick 6x9” speakers in back when I thought listening to distorted bass music was the height of cool.

Only time I remember doing anything with parcel shelves in any car I’ve had since has been removing them so I could get something big on the seats.
Um, to hide stuff?

In some cars it seems to affect interior acoustics when it's removed.

I also thought it weird the back seats don't seem to have anything solid at the extremeties to latch into. What if you have a load of heavy stuff in the boot.
Yes it looks a bit unfinished at the sides of the rear seat. I guess it’s the same design for the 5 seat and 7 seat versions - the latter will have to be able to slide the rear seats forward to access the third row. I’d assumed it would be the same as the model 3 for the 5 seat Y. Plus the large bar that sticks out when you fold the middle section down.

This to me is the stupidest omission ever. I for one constantly carry expensive equipment for work in the back of my car and not being able to slide a cover over it is ridiculous and just asking for it to get smashed windows and stolen equipment.
What a shame.

Guess I'll wait for the next version of the model y which includes parcel shelf. I dont tint my windows to super black like a lot of people who owns teslas. I like the natural lighting. But if I cant hide stuff like my laptop bag and such which is enticing thieves to break my windows to steal, I'm hold to my money until they put one in or at least have some after market.