TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Model Y Not A Crossover, But A Tall Sedan: Says Designer

Discussion in 'Model Y' started by TMC Staff, May 20, 2019.

1. TMC Staff

As we all know, the lines between vehicle classes are completely blurred these days. While the Tesla Model 3 may be the best thing that ever happened to Tesla, the new American automaker is still struggling, as expected. Perhaps a small crossover or even a pickup truck should have come first? We ask this since...
    READ FULL ARTICLE

• Funny x 3
  2. Brando

Brando Active Member

Struggling - can't make them fast enough - ALL other auto companies want this same "struggle" - right ??

• Like x 1
  3. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Supporting Member

To be honest, the Model Y is closer to what I wanted with the Model 3 (which I ended up buying anyway). Mainly for the hatch. Well, I’m hoping when my wife finally gets tired of her ‘13 Escape, we might replace it with a Model Y. :)

• Like x 1
  4. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

Well, the issue I see is that the majority of the people "need" a model 3 or model Y. It's shaped for high efficiency (low drag), can fit stuff and people. More with the model Y.

But what people "want" is something that looks like a SUV/Suburban - square back. Less aerodynamic... can hold more stuff those few times its desired.

The "want" hurts the efficiency pretty dramatically.

• Like x 3
  5. Brando

Brando Active Member

Buyers have choices - Audi e-Tron; Merc EQC; Jag iPace; BMW i3, Chevy Bolt; Kona; Niro; others? - and Model 3 out sells them all (even if you add them all together?? right?). I guess for some efficiency may not be the first consideration. We shall see.

Or does Tesla just "out produce" all the others?
    Just wait til people actually want to buy them and we stop forcing people to buy these Electrics:cool:.

6. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Supporting Member

LOL. Not me. I prefer sleeker styling, even in trucks and SUVs. I think the whole chunky, blocky styling trend in trucks and SUVs is approaching cartoonish levels. But what do I know...:rolleyes:

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  7. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

So the Y is just a tall sedan, but the iPace is an SUV?!?

That's some seriously creative logic, especially given the 7 seat option on the Y.

I tend to think ease of entry and seating height are the drivers of the SUV trend more than maximum cargo volume.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  8. Laban

Laban Member

So you're saying that the i-Pace is a sedan ? ....

i-pacewithout.jpg

9. VT_EE

VT_EE Active Member

It sure looks like one.

10. Jonathantuba

Jonathantuba Member

Does it really matter what the car is called, if it fulfils people’s requirements and they buy?

11. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

I get the feeling Y will have a similar form factor to the new Nissan Leaf which certainly looks much taller than the M3. So I tend to agree, Y is just a tall sedan.

12. Laban

Laban Member

You would think so. But this designer seemed to be focused on the shape of the car. An SUV needs to have a blocky shape and the Rivian is not as inefficient as it might seem. Just like the Audi e-Tron, eeeh..

13. Electroman

The only thing I care about is, it should be seated higher like an SUV. The sedan shape is perfectly fine as long as the driver can sit higher.

• Like x 1
  14. Laban

Laban Member

AWD, at least as an option. Seats a bit higher up. Better ground clearance. prefer 7 seats as an option, even if the last row is only suitable for kids. That's an SUV imo. The shape is largely irrelevant, shouldn't look like a minivan though. Because then it is in fact a minivan :)

15. VT_EE

VT_EE Active Member

Half the SUVs out there look like minivans without the benefit of sliding doors.

16. Laban

Laban Member

And some of the minivans (at least in Europe) starts to look more like SUV's. 20" wheels as standard. Main difference is the length and shape of the hood and perhaps the angle of the windshield.

And the benefit of going is electric is the possibility to decrease the length of the hood. Model 3, i-Pace. ID.3..

17. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

There's room for optimizing the hood length. Keep in mind, though, that it's the primary crumple zone of the car.

There's a reason VW has never been able to bring a reincarnation of the classic VW bus despite several efforts, including some electric concepts, and that's reason is crumple zone.

Very flat noses are also hard to streamline into very slippery shapes...

18. Nilnoc

Nilnoc Member

You all are missing the key feature of any real CUV: tacky, plasticy fake skid plates on the front and rear bumpers. Without those, you have a tall sedan. :p

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  19. Electroman

My contention is the seats won't be higher than the new Leaf. Lets see..

LEAF Dimensions: 176″ L x 71″ W x 61-62″ H

20. mazers

mazers Member

I'm hoping it looks like the BMW X4.

• Like x 1