Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Not A Crossover, But A Tall Sedan: Says Designer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm hoping it looks like the BMW X4.

Well, we do in fact know what it looks like

tesla-model-y-unveiling-white-2-768x550.jpg

Same type of car as the X4, a tiny bit more versatile with the 7 seat option even though it's for children only. Probably a LOT more fun to drive. And i'd prefer that coming from an Outlander PHEV to the Model 3 and not wanting to go back to a big and clunky SUV type of car.

Reactions: Sean Wagner
I have been captivated since the original roadster. Tesla has even been awesome to allow for an extended test drive with Model 3. I can honestly say that I've never had a more pleasurable driving experience!

It's unfortunate, Tesla's available production models just never seem to line up with the reality of luxury and life with kids. When I was young, I didn't have the income to make a roadster happen. Now, with a family of five (the kids friends, and everyone's stuff too)... I don't ever want to consider dropping two toddler carseats in the back of a $60,000+ commuter sedan!

I love the concept of Solar Roof - Powerwall - Car. It's an elegant design solution. So, looked into Powerwall first, then Solar Roof (because it's two + years away), then car...

Will Tesla ever make practical options?

• Disagree
Reactions: 1375mlm
People are turning to suv/cuv’s because car designers are making sedans all look like coupes, with a ridiculous sloping roofline that makes getting into the back seat difficult and making the trunk area smaller. Lots of people only have one car so it’s important to have a practical car.

Reactions: jboy210
I have a 3 year old X and plan to trade it in for a Y. I always thought of the X as a big car, but when I look at it in comparison to most of what shows up at the golf course, it is just moderate in size. This new perspective crystalized for me when a woman approached me saying her husband wants an X but she couldn’t believe that it could seat six or seven given how small it is. I opened the doors for her to see and her jaw dropped.

Now the x can actually seat adults in the back reasonably comfortably and that won’t be the case with the Y, but I think it will be bigger inside than people think and will function well as a crossover.

We have a 3 which is also a great car, but I prefer the seating of the X. I am hoping the Y is the best of both worlds.

Hope they can copy the interior space of an Euro- Ford S-max which at 4,8 m length, 1,9m width and 1,6 m height will have plenty room for 7 adults. Not a Suv but a van/Espace.

That is not what the preview and information presented states about model Y

Hope they can copy the interior space of an Euro- Ford S-max which at 4,8 m length, 1,9m width and 1,6 m height will have plenty room for 7 adults. Not a Suv but a van/Espace.

That is not what the preview and information presented states about model Y
Maybe, hard to understand the design without seeing the car IRL. But that is what i hope they do: sacrifice a tiny bit of aerodynamics for a ton more versatility.

So, I could be all alone in this opinion, but to me, a "crossover" is just that...a transition between sedan and true SUV. How many true crossover have legitimate seating for 7 anything, be it adult or child? Yes, in many ways I see the Model Y as just a big Model 3 (which I own). I am totally cool with that. It's going to be a bit taller (that's a plus for me getting in and out). It will have a TON more storage, especially in the 5 seat configuration (which is what I would get, to me the back row is a waste of space). It's a hatch but doesn't have what I consider to be that ugly crossover/SUV box on wheels look. All of this is to the good for me. That is why I will most likely be trading in my Model 3 for a Y when they come out.

Dan