Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Not A Crossover, But A Tall Sedan: Says Designer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
As we all know, the lines between vehicle classes are completely blurred these days. While the Tesla Model 3 may be the best thing that ever happened to Tesla, the new American automaker is still struggling, as expected. Perhaps a small crossover or even a pickup truck should have come first? We ask this since...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/05/20/tesla-model-y-not-a-crossover-but-a-tall-sedan-says-designer/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Well, the issue I see is that the majority of the people "need" a model 3 or model Y. It's shaped for high efficiency (low drag), can fit stuff and people. More with the model Y.

But what people "want" is something that looks like a SUV/Suburban - square back. Less aerodynamic... can hold more stuff those few times its desired.

The "want" hurts the efficiency pretty dramatically.

Well, the issue I see is that the majority of the people "need" a model 3 or model Y. It's shaped for high efficiency (low drag), can fit stuff and people. More with the model Y.

But what people "want" is something that looks like a SUV/Suburban - square back. Less aerodynamic... can hold more stuff those few times its desired.

Buyers have choices - Audi e-Tron; Merc EQC; Jag iPace; BMW i3, Chevy Bolt; Kona; Niro; others? - and Model 3 out sells them all (even if you add them all together?? right?). I guess for some efficiency may not be the first consideration. We shall see.

Or does Tesla just "out produce" all the others?
Just wait til people actually want to buy them and we stop forcing people to buy these Electrics:cool:.

LOL. Not me. I prefer sleeker styling, even in trucks and SUVs. I think the whole chunky, blocky styling trend in trucks and SUVs is approaching cartoonish levels. But what do I know...:rolleyes:

So the Y is just a tall sedan, but the iPace is an SUV?!?

So you're saying that the i-Pace is a sedan ? ....

i-pacewithout.jpg

The only thing I care about is, it should be seated higher like an SUV. The sedan shape is perfectly fine as long as the driver can sit higher.

AWD, at least as an option. Seats a bit higher up. Better ground clearance. prefer 7 seats as an option, even if the last row is only suitable for kids. That's an SUV imo. The shape is largely irrelevant, shouldn't look like a minivan though. Because then it is in fact a minivan :)

AWD, at least as an option. Seats a bit higher up. Better ground clearance. prefer 7 seats as an option, even if the last row is only suitable for kids. That's an SUV imo. The shape is largely irrelevant, shouldn't look like a minivan though. Because then it is in fact a minivan :)
Half the SUVs out there look like minivans without the benefit of sliding doors.

Reactions: JBT66 and Aellinsar
Half the SUVs out there look like minivans without the benefit of sliding doors.

And some of the minivans (at least in Europe) starts to look more like SUV's. 20" wheels as standard. Main difference is the length and shape of the hood and perhaps the angle of the windshield.

And the benefit of going is electric is the possibility to decrease the length of the hood. Model 3, i-Pace. ID.3..

And some of the minivans (at least in Europe) starts to look more like SUV's. 20" wheels as standard. Main difference is the length and shape of the hood and perhaps the angle of the windshield.

And the benefit of going is electric is the possibility to decrease the length of the hood. Model 3, i-Pace. ID.3..

There's room for optimizing the hood length. Keep in mind, though, that it's the primary crumple zone of the car.

There's a reason VW has never been able to bring a reincarnation of the classic VW bus despite several efforts, including some electric concepts, and that's reason is crumple zone.

Very flat noses are also hard to streamline into very slippery shapes...