Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Performance Real Horsepower and Torque

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a corollary to this, how much power do we still think can be "unlocked" in the MYP? I find it hard to believe that Tesla would tap out the 2170, but do we have another 10%, 20?

I know the Polestar forums somehow found that the P2 was only running at like 65% of its potential.

As a corollary to this, how much power do we still think can be "unlocked" in the MYP? I find it hard to believe that Tesla would tap out the 2170, but do we have another 10%, 20?

I know the Polestar forums somehow found that the P2 was only running at like 65% of its potential.
I'm sure the battery and motor can handle more but at 600 hp+ I would start to worry about the axles and other drivetrain parts being able to keep up without reinforcement. Those parts are identical the MYP and the MYLR.

Reactions: BMWY
I'm sure the battery and motor can handle more but at 600 hp+ I would start to worry about the axles and other drivetrain parts being able to keep up without reinforcement. Those parts are identical the MYP and the MYLR.
My guess is that they could easily add another 50hp if they wanted, maybe more. The jump from say, 300-400 is a lot more jarring on a car than 500-600. The tolerance for those parts is already very high I'm assuming.

Did you see the video posted on HP #’s MYP vs M3P?…… The MYP made 623HP…. The motors are different between the MYP and MYLR…. Well at least that is what the certified Tesla Technician discussed with me. The late 2021 & 2022 MYP and 2022 M3P have upgraded motors/ high put motors…

Reactions: blinkme323

Consider what Tesla is getting from the 1860’s used in the current S/X? I’m betting Tesla still has room to play with the 2170’s. As soon as a real competitor comes on scene and starts blowing the doors off the P3/PY we’ll Tesla will unleash more power.

Consider what Tesla is getting from the 1860’s used in the current S/X? I’m betting Tesla still has room to play with the 2170’s. As soon as a real competitor comes on scene and starts blowing the doors off the P3/PY we’ll Tesla will unleash more power.

Agreed. The number I've heard most is that the 2170s are at about 80% of their potential. So that would probably leave us with about 10% to be unlocked since I doubt they'd want to go full bore.

Right. In real world driving, the MYP will be at least as quick as a 911 Turbo. Both have a rolling (5-60) time of 3.7 seconds. The MYP has a 30-50 time of 1.4 seconds and a 50-70 of 1.8 seconds. The times for the 911 Turbo are 2.0 and 2.4 seconds.
Not sure which 911 turbo you are referring to.

I have a 2015 911 turbo S and stock the car was getting into the 10s quarter mile at about 127mph traps. 0-60 consistently below 3 seconds on a dragy device. Now this car is stage 3 and runs mid 10s on pumpgas and over 130m0h traps.

My 2022 MYP comparatively speaking is stupid fast but not that fast! It definitely kills our 2020 Porsche Macan S.

I have a 2015 911 turbo S and stock the car was getting into the 10s quarter mile at about 127mph traps. 0-60 consistently below 3 seconds on a dragy device. Now this car is stage 3 and runs mid 10s on pumpgas and over 130m0h traps.

My 2022 MYP comparatively speaking is stupid fast but not that fast! It definitely kills our 2020 Porsche Macan S.

People with their first relatively fast car always think that it is a supercar killer. Then when the 911 turbo next to them at a stoplight doesn't floor it this confirms it in their mind. Some kid out there right now thinks that his Mustang with the Ecotech turbo 4 banger is a Tesla killer because I didn't race him from the light.

Keith

He was talking about 5-60 mph (no launch control)
Car and driver has stats on their web site:
Model Y Performance
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 3.7 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 1.4 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 1.8 sec

2021 Porsche 911 Turbo S Lightweight
Rolling Start, 5–60 mph: 3.6 sec
Top Gear, 30–50 mph: 2.1 sec
Top Gear, 50–70 mph: 2.4 sec