Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Rear Door Paint Damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just did a road trip from LA to PDX and just in that time have similar paint damage. July 2021 MYP. I only just now crossed 7k miles too.
1641450851563.jpeg

I went ppf on entire side of the car below the horizontal door crease and larger mud guards all around as soon as I got mine late summer of 2020. With over 25,000km on the clock, the ppf is now getting sandblasted so to say however not to the extent of being an eyesore. Maybe next year as it gets worse, I will have then replace the bad area where the rear wheel well sticks out. This is still an issue albeit greatly reduced with full rally style mud guards, those smaller molded mud guards must fair much worse. The car is designed in a way that it definitely needs protection and mud guards. Harder, better paint will only help a little as the same damage will occur just a little farther down the road. Bottom line is if you or Tesla repaints, get mud guards and PPF or you will be doing this all over agin in no time. Not just the inadequate little triangle they sell as this addresses the main issue but is far from the best protection.

The new Model S is even worse when it comes to the rear wheel well sticking out/exposure and no mud guards available just yet. Need to do something there rather quickly.

Drove 2021 Model Y, Space Grey paint, for 3 days in winter snow conditions between Mammoth Lakes and June Lake. Lower rear door paint has been sandblasted from salt and traction gravel.

One weekend of winter driving shouldn't cause this kind of damage.

Before my Tesla, I dove a 2009 Subaru STi hatchback with a similar rear door wheel profile. Drove in the snow for 11 winters in Mammoth without any paint issues as the STi came stock with PPF on the exposed lower door area.

Anyone have any luck getting Tesla to refresh the damaged paint on their dime?

I can't believe PPF isn't installed at the factory of every model Y.

On the plus side, the Model Y preformed amazing in the snow! Didn't need chains the entire trip as long as the vehicle was in "Off-Road" mode.

Drove 2021 Model Y, Space Grey paint, for 3 days in winter snow conditions between Mammoth Lakes and June Lake. Lower rear door paint has been sandblasted from salt and traction gravel.

One weekend of winter driving shouldn't cause this kind of damage.

Before my Tesla, I dove a 2009 Subaru STi hatchback with a similar rear door wheel profile. Drove in the snow for 11 winters in Mammoth without any paint issues as the STi came stock with PPF on the exposed lower door area.

Anyone have any luck getting Tesla to refresh the damaged paint on their dime?

I can't believe PPF isn't installed at the factory of every model Y.

On the plus side, the Model Y preformed amazing in the snow! Didn't need chains the entire trip as long as the vehicle was in "Off-Road" mode.
yup.same thing on mine and all canadian model Y. there is a class action in progress because Tesla new about the problem, didn't warn buyers to get mudflaps and ppf. they issued a bulletin in alberta but not anywhere else and didn't provide mudflaps or ppf until well after they knew about the problem. Even when they offered flaps and ppf on the website it was sold out for months......go figure. Maybe should have come installed with the car?
I haven't heard what's happening lately but the class action was started by a guy in the okanagan area of B.C. I was told by a mobile tech

Just picked up my MYP 1 month ago, it has less than 1k miles and both sides are like this. Don't have PPF or Guards. Regular highway driving. This is completely unacceptable and the wear and tear BS excuse won't fly with me.

I have an appointment Feb 11 because my frunk was damaged (2 big dents around tesla logo) at delivery and they ordered a new one. There are a lot of things that still need to be fixed from initial delivery at that appointment so I'm gonna make sure they fix this too.

I have the same color and the area on the rear door looked jjust like yours, ordered the PPF from Tesla and the mud flaps from Tesmanian, used a buffer with some fine polish and got about 99% of the spotting off and installed the PPF, still look good after two big snow storms here. Yes I agree that it should have been done at the factory, but not bad to get it done yourself. Total cost is less than 80.00

I agree with all opinions. I washed my MYP yesterday for the first time in a 4 or so months because it's had consistent service center visits and they immediately undo my 1.5 hours of work.

Discovered the same paint issues on the rear door corners and lower plastic in the same area, right over 5K miles.

I recall the mudflaps saga for those in states affected by snow, but I'm in FL. So, it's complete garbage that this is just a thing for driving the car. I don't even want to attempt bringing this up with the service center because I'll probably lose all my marbles if they told me it was normal wear and tear.

Ordered PPF and mudflaps (which I've never been a fan of on anything) to mitigate further damage and will buff the area then touch up before PPF application.

the body shop quoted me $2500 per side to replace the panels. would have been a lot cheaper to install mudflaps and ppf eh tesla?....
Lmao, get a new shop or fix it yourself? After repair, get PFF for that door quarter. Flaps are not enough btw. Also, Porsche's have come with stone guards, aka PFF before it was known as PFF since the 70's so this is a very common thing on certain types of cars.

Here's the damage on the wife's MYP. I'm fixing the paint and applying PFF atm. I forgot to take a pic of the right rear before starting but here's the left side. The right side is like 10x worse.

left.jpg

And here is the right side after paint touch up and a couple sessions with the orbital. You can see the two dark spots, that's the touch up paint and a white spec on left side. I had a couple applications to finish when I took this pic. After cutting/buffing you can't tell anymore, then PFF.
right.jpg

Here's the finished left rear door below. This was kind of a pain in the rear because it was ceramic coated so I had to remove the ceramic before applying the paint. Then cut and buff that out and then I could clean then apply the PFF. Doh, I've still got to apply a new coat of ceramic to both doors. My touch up job isn't perfect nor is my PFF application but no one is going to look at it from six inches away anyways, right?

Btw, I should add that the black trim is sandblasted as well, so if that plastic is beat up the paint stood no chance.

left2.jpg

You did an excellent job on the paint correction, @thesmokingman

What product did you use to cut?
Thanks. I use Meguiars discs, a DFC6 soft buff da cutting disc and a DA foam polishing disc with their Ultimate Compound. Cleaning up the touch up paint requires very little cutting though I should add. You could even do it by hand that is if you don't have ceramic coating. Removing ceramic coating goes a lot better with an orbital.