Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Rear Door Paint Damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would you remove it?

I felt it was lower quality than what you would find on the aftermarket, like most OEMs are. It yellowed rather quickly and it’s much more noticeable against white paint. There’s also PPF on the door handles and that honestly turned yellow even sooner, around a months time. (It’s inside the door handle when it pops out)

From my experience, there are car manufacturers that let you purchase PPF as an “option” this tends to be a better material, such as 3M. It’s usually port-installed (like if you optioned all weather mats or wheel locks), not done at the factory. This PPF is better. The free ones, for whatever reason, are not that great.

Reactions: Pianewman
Update, I emailed [email protected] and got a call back from the Calgary service centre. They are adamant they will do nothing about the paint, say they do not feel responsible for sending vehicle out with no flaps and no paint protection (my fault for driving it on actual roads I suppose? sheesh...) Said they are going to fix the door alignment issue and touch up the associated paint damage, but nothing for the main issue of pitted paint from rocks kicked up by the front tires. I'm trying to decide if this is worth making a public issue somehow? Is it "news" for some consumer portion of a news show? "Tesla car paint can't handle winter roads; Tesla won't support warranty". Are they violating some consumer protection laws? Is a class action winnable? What would be the first step? Or time to suck it up, save my energy and move on, paying for repairs out of my own pocket? View attachment 854866

Your Y didn't come with PPF or mud flaps standard? I'm still concerned whether it will protect against what you show above, which looks brutal.

Reactions: richyrich
I picked up a Gray Model Y on Nov 26th. Yup missed the discount by 4 days. I almost did not take the car due to damage on black metal window trim.

Thanks to this forum, I ask Service Advisor before delivery if the car came with PPF on rear doors and model flaps and was told by Service Advisor by text….”I (Service Advisor) believe so”. Well had to travel 400+ miles to pick up car downstate NY and car did not have either. So really had no choice, accepted delivery. Came home ordered PPF and mud flaps. PPF showed up today and put it on. Wow a good amount paint damage in just 2 weeks and 600 miles. Nothing I could do, got PPF on my own dime and fast as Tesla would delivery. I have a service appoint for black metal trim damaged prior to delivery so maybe they will remove the PPF, I put on and repaint a 3 week old car and put new PPF on. Mud flaps are supposedly coming Thursday. Let’s see what happens considering a $70,000 car and it needs $20.00 in PPF and $40.00 in mud flaps. Not sure why Tesla does not spend less than $60.00 and reduce or eliminate the issue.

I have the same color and the area on the rear door looked jjust like yours, ordered the PPF from Tesla and the mud flaps from Tesmanian, used a buffer with some fine polish and got about 99% of the spotting off and installed the PPF, still look good after two big snow storms here. Yes I agree that it should have been done at the factory, but not bad to get it done yourself. Total cost is less than 80.00
How are those mudflaps holding up? Just took my Y on its first road trip. 1800 miles and the rear tire area is pock marked from all highway driving.

Never owned a Porsche huh? This has been an issue on Porsches for decades. You should see my 80's Turbo, it's optioned in stone guard all over and its still torn up. I dunno what it is about Tesla's but ppl love blaming universal things on them in particular.

Update: So I dropped my car off for its first service since I originally picked it up and it had a lot of things to get fixed including replacing my hood because of a pretty bad dent on top. Getting the hood took forever. I asked the service girl that was helping me if the body shop can fix the rear door panels that were affected by driving up in the snow while its there to change out my hood and realign everything else. To my surprise she said no problem at all and that she won't charge me to get it back to original. I also asked if they can put the Tesla ppf protector on both rear door panels and she said no problem but I do have to pay for that. I'm actually pretty happy about it. I pick up the car next week!
USCTrojans, I have same issue with both sides on a Model Y Performance 2022 less than 15K miles. My car is at the Tesla center would be helpful if you have the Augora Service center augora center tech you mentioned.

I had front PPF installed on my 2022 Model Y in October, knowing I'd be driving up and back from the mountains. Did not happen across this thread beforehand or I'd have gotten the back doors wrapped as well.

Photo of my Pearl White paint (which at least somewhat obscures the exposure visually):

IMG_4393.jpeg

At this point, I suspect I'd have to get the doors repainted in order to wrap them since the wrap will have gaps underneath. What nonsense.

This happened to me 3 weeks into ownership (back doors). no PPF, no mudflaps. No one said anything. chipped paint. I kinda fixed it with some touch up paint from tesla, but it's junk paint. got mudflaps installed on the front, and the PPF on the back doors. Spray is needed to do it right. I'm real disappointed.

Process was touchup paint, 600/1500 grit wet sanding, buffing. I put on the the PPF for now, but I want to redo the whole process with spray. I'm just worried about a color match at this point. The current repair is passable. No one would notice at this point unless they were looking for it. But I'm not satisfied and I keep looking at it with disappointment and it's driving me nuts.

Attachments

• IMG_3092.JPG
    IMG_3092.JPG
    290.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Informative
Reactions: ohmman
I put PPF on my rear doors (blue) after similar damage, although i had to touch up every single hole to get rid of the white specs. It has prevented further damage to the door, HOWEVER the rocks still hit the paint above and in front. The only way to further reduce this is front mud flaps, and maybe wrap the entire rear door

I put PPF on my rear doors (blue) after similar damage, although i had to touch up every single hole to get rid of the white specs. It has prevented further damage to the door, HOWEVER the rocks still hit the paint above and in front. The only way to further reduce this is front mud flaps, and maybe wrap the entire rear door
I got my whole car wrapped with Stek clear PPF a few months after ownership. Wish I had donut sooner because I managed to get a few impact craters in the paint and a few chips in places you'd never expect. I did recall hearing impacts when I was on a few freeway drives. Whole lot construction going on and thinks flying around in Los Angeles. Since the wrapping, I had some other impacts but the PPF did its job. Some people leaned on my car with their metal studded jeans and I could see the ppl had some scratches. Next hot day, I left car in sun and PPF self healed...scratch in PPF gone.

Reactions: ReversePolarity
I have a black MYP purchased in June 2023, I put mud flaps all around the car but did not PPF it and I have the same issue. I just noticed it and I reported this to Tesla, let's see what they do. I will be PPFing this car once the weather warms up but now I need to fix this issue... SMH See attached photo, this is on both sides of the back rear doors.
20240303_142310.jpg

Hi there,

Did you get a resolution to this? I have the same issue with the rear driver’s door on my Model Y. Very poor design where it sticks out and is exposed to the elements with any rocks or debris damaging the paint.

Attachments

• IMG_6945.jpeg
    IMG_6945.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 5
I had this just as bad on my 21 blue Y. Tesla said not our problem. I said look at all the pics on the net. Told you could buy ppf. Never had this happen with 40 years of cars. Cost to repaint. $2k. Tesla would not do anything. Part of the reason had to trade in rather than sell. Had mud flaps day 1. This sucked. New car got ppf. Day one from RPM Tesla. bottom of doors. That seems to be working well. You can see it gets Hammered here in CT. They should paint it with a different paint and put protection.