Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Rear Door Paint Damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings,

My Model Y has experienced significant paint damage reported by other owners to the leading edge and bottom rear bump-out on the rear doors of the car from road debris being kicked up by the tires. Both driver and passenger rear doors appear to be “sandblasted” in these areas. This damage occurred with less than 10,000 miles, and driving exclusively on paved roads. I do live in a snowy winter climate, but we actually use very little sand on the roads where I live. I did not experience similar damage with my previous Model 3 which I drove for more than 30,000 miles. And in more than 40 years of driving dozens of vehicles in similar conditions I’ve never experienced this type of damage.

View attachment 39161View attachment 39162View attachment 39163View attachment 39164

I would like to connect with other owners who have experienced similar damage, and specifically I am interested in speaking with owners who have had Tesla Service repair this damage under warranty. I’m aware that Tesla has repaired similar damage under warranty for some owners. But my polite requests to Tesla to repair this damage have so far fallen on deaf ears. If you got Tesla to repair this type of paint damage, please contact me by PM on this site. There is strength in numbers!

In my opinion, this damage results from a design flaw in the Model Y due to the tires protruding more from the wheel wells, and the failure of Tesla to install mud flaps and/or PPF at the factory. Both mud flaps and PPF for the rear door panels are now sold by Tesla as accessories, and recommended by Tesla Service as the “solution” to this problem, but are not installed at the factory on new vehicles. In addition, there have been several reports of testing of paint hardness on Tesla vehicles which reveals Tesla paint is not as hard as other manufacturers. Finnish Tesla Model 3 Inspection Reveals Soft, Thin, Under-Spec Paint

In addition, the damage to the leading edges of the doors was caused by incorrect door installation at the factory. Specifically, the lower edge of the rear doors was installed so the rear door was sitting slightly “proud” of the front doors. This resulted in the leading edge of the rear door protruding into the slip stream, and allowing debris to impact the leading edge of the door. Tesla service actually adjusted the doors to correct that defect under warranty. So I’m not sure why they won’t cover the paint damage that was caused under warranty too.

Finally, if you had similar damage repaired, I would be interested in hearing about what was required and how much it cost to repair the damage.

I’m a Tesla fan and stockholder. I am not looking to create FUD, or asking for anything unreasonable in my opinion. I want Tesla to do the right thing by their owners, and stand behind their product. In general I’m delighted with my car, and Tesla as a brand. This is the one exception to an otherwise excellent owner experience.

Thanks!

OK… no idea why there are 4 random pics in the original post. But here are the ACTUAL photos of the damage to my car.

IMG_6859.jpeg
IMG_6856.jpeg
IMG_6860.jpeg
cid:03B84B40-78C7-405D-B539-DF51493DDDE7.jpeg

Greetings,

My Model Y has experienced significant paint damage reported by other owners to the leading edge and bottom rear bump-out on the rear doors of the car from road debris being kicked up by the tires. Both driver and passenger rear doors appear to be “sandblasted” in these areas. This damage occurred with less than 10,000 miles, and driving exclusively on paved roads. I do live in a snowy winter climate, but we actually use very little sand on the roads where I live. I did not experience similar damage with my previous Model 3 which I drove for more than 30,000 miles. And in more than 40 years of driving dozens of vehicles in similar conditions I’ve never experienced this type of damage.

View attachment 39161View attachment 39162View attachment 39163View attachment 39164

I would like to connect with other owners who have experienced similar damage, and specifically I am interested in speaking with owners who have had Tesla Service repair this damage under warranty. I’m aware that Tesla has repaired similar damage under warranty for some owners. But my polite requests to Tesla to repair this damage have so far fallen on deaf ears. If you got Tesla to repair this type of paint damage, please contact me by PM on this site. There is strength in numbers!

In my opinion, this damage results from a design flaw in the Model Y due to the tires protruding more from the wheel wells, and the failure of Tesla to install mud flaps and/or PPF at the factory. Both mud flaps and PPF for the rear door panels are now sold by Tesla as accessories, and recommended by Tesla Service as the “solution” to this problem, but are not installed at the factory on new vehicles. In addition, there have been several reports of testing of paint hardness on Tesla vehicles which reveals Tesla paint is not as hard as other manufacturers. Finnish Tesla Model 3 Inspection Reveals Soft, Thin, Under-Spec Paint

In addition, the damage to the leading edges of the doors was caused by incorrect door installation at the factory. Specifically, the lower edge of the rear doors was installed so the rear door was sitting slightly “proud” of the front doors. This resulted in the leading edge of the rear door protruding into the slip stream, and allowing debris to impact the leading edge of the door. Tesla service actually adjusted the doors to correct that defect under warranty. So I’m not sure why they won’t cover the paint damage that was caused under warranty too.

Finally, if you had similar damage repaired, I would be interested in hearing about what was required and how much it cost to repair the damage.

I’m a Tesla fan and stockholder. I am not looking to create FUD, or asking for anything unreasonable in my opinion. I want Tesla to do the right thing by their owners, and stand behind their product. In general I’m delighted with my car, and Tesla as a brand. This is the one exception to an otherwise excellent owner experience.

Thanks!
Wow, good luck. That looks horrible. I guess mud flaps and PPF on the side rocker panels are a must on the Model Y.

Reactions: richyrich
Good luck to you. I agree that the leading edge door damage is a result of misalignment.. That edge should tuck slightly under the trailing edge of the front door. Time elapsed before calling this to Tesla's attention may be an issue for you though. Hope not. Cheers.

Greetings,

Thanks!
I went down this road too. MYP showed significant damage after 1500 miles of late summer/autumn driving on decent roads - no sand, gravel, snow or ice. My SC which has always been very responsive with my wife's MS was understanding and concerned but said the only thing they could do was submit the complaint to corporate. No relief, as this was "normal wear and tear". I tried, like you, to collect other affected owners in my area but never came up with critical mass. So, I've had PPF and mudflaps on for the past year and I just dont allow myself to look closely at the previous damage. I think the only remedy will be to repaint. In general the paint on our MS looks way better after 3 years than my MYP after 1 year. Good luck and I will be happy to add my name to your list.

I installed some 3rd party mudflaps (molded type not the rally flapper) about a month after getting the car. have about 6k miles now, mostly highway speeds in SoCal. I have zero damage on the rear doors. I was initially not satisfied with how my FRONT doors protrude a bit vs the rear, but I guess I should be thankful based on your post!

Good luck to you. I see your valid points, but I think you'll have a hard time getting it covered.

Similar in Red also after less than one year. I confronted my SC (Portland, OR) and they said normal wear and tear. The white is the primer and the red has a lot of clear coat damage that extends way beyond what the PPF kit covers (look at all of the frosty steaks that extend to the front doors also). I put on mud flaps as soon as they were available and OEM ones after that. The paint touch up kit and PPF kit seemed to be useless after seeing this level of damage.
My 12 year old Acura RDX have insignificant damage compared to this and has seen similar conditions for may more years.
2020 MY left door chips.jpg
2020 MY right door chips.jpg
MY right door edge chips.jpg

Similar in Red also after less than one year. I confronted my SC (Portland, OR) and they said normal wear and tear. The white is the primer and the red has a lot of clear coat damage that extends way beyond what the PPF kit covers (look at all of the frosty steaks that extend to the front doors also). I put on mud flaps as soon as they were available and OEM ones after that. The paint touch up kit and PPF kit seemed to be useless after seeing this level of damage.
My 12 year old Acura RDX have insignificant damage compared to this and has seen similar conditions for may more years.
View attachment 686476View attachment 686477View attachment 686478
WOW -- that is a crazy amount of damage to the side and door.

I got some satin black PPF swooshes installed last week at Alset in PDX ( that is my MY above in this post)
MY with PPF swoosh.jpg

This covers the damage mostly (there are still scratches in the clear coat above these swooshes) and I am looking at adding the Tesla PPF arches on top of this to protect my PPF and see if it survives this winter.

Greetings,

Thanks!
same problem here. how do I add my name to the class action

I have been waiting for the Tesla PPF to restock for months and they still haven't restocked it, wondering if it is just a supply chain issue or something but I have been holding off paint correcting and ceramic coating my car until I get the PPF and just noticed today that there is a slight rock chip in the area that the PPF is supposed to be! Really wish they would restock it as I have been literally waiting months, I had it on order but they cancelled my order.. They really need to stock this especially with winter coming. Really should have ordered when they released it and had stock but I didn't because I was still waiting for my car.

I have been waiting for the Tesla PPF to restock for months and they still haven't restocked it, wondering if it is just a supply chain issue or something but I have been holding off paint correcting and ceramic coating my car until I get the PPF and just noticed today that there is a slight rock chip in the area that the PPF is supposed to be! Really wish they would restock it as I have been literally waiting months, I had it on order but they cancelled my order.. They really need to stock this especially with winter coming. Really should have ordered when they released it and had stock but I didn't because I was still waiting for my car.
Why not just buy something aftermarket?

Abstract Ocean sells PPF for this area of the car. I know it says its for earlier models, but I checked with AO and they confirm that the film fits the current Y. I have this in my garage awaiting delivery next week.

Reactions: WillwayGTO