Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Model Y Recalled for Suspension Fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla has recalled 437 Model Y SUVs due to a loose bolt that could impact suspension and steering.

According to a safety recall report to NHTSA:

The bolts connecting the front upper control arm and steering knuckle may not have been torqued to specification. If not properly secured, the upper control arm can unseat from the steering knuckle, resulting in excessive negative or positive camber and adverse impact to steering.

The excessive wheel camber can affect the driver’s ability to control the vehicle and increase the risk of a crash, leading to the recall.

The report also provided some background on how the issue was identified:

On Sunday, November 1, 2020, the Field Quality team learned of two vehicle repairs (one on Sept. 21, 2020, and one on Oct. 16, 2020) where the upper control arm had separated from the steering knuckle. The repairs were reviewed by engineering and production teams and an investigation into root cause and scope was initiated, during which a third vehicle repair on October 18, 2020, was identified. None of the incidents resulted in injury or a crash. On Tuesday, November 10, 2020, this matter was reviewed with Tesla executives and Tesla determined that a safety-related defect exists.

Tesla says changes were made on the production line to immediately correct the issue. Model Y owners that are part of the recall can have the correcting adjustment made at a service center.

Last edited by a moderator:
Communication isn’t Tesla’s strong point... I’ve also got a build during those month, would much rather a VIN range I could double check...

Attachments

• EBC2BED2-16A1-4CB5-AF81-F85857C7DFD7.jpeg
    EBC2BED2-16A1-4CB5-AF81-F85857C7DFD7.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 179
I got a recall notice. My title is salvage. I'm really curious if Tesla will ever contact me for a service appointment they will actually perform. Tesla has entangled themselves with the conflicts of removing SC from salvage cars with unbeknownst forced OTA software interjection post 3rd party purchase violating "as is where is" common law and disallowing servicing a salvage car unless a battery inspection is performed first. I'm not paying for an inspection and Tesla will be at odds with the state in which they sell cars if they make some owners more worthy of a recall than others.

A somewhat off-topic but relevant statement I'd like to make is they've further entangled themselves with the problems of not selling parts to the public or even having a process to do it. Yes, sure, you can buy some parts from them if you're the owner and you provide the vin and you go to the tesla dealer in person to make that purchase as is there is no way to buy parts online, only view. Some parts like simple, front-end, sheetmetal, dead-metal brackets are "restricted". This is in conflict with every state's compelling rules to put salvaged vehicles back on the road. Tesla wants their cake and eat it too (sell cars in states and not be in line with their recycle rules) and I hope someone has the money and energy to call them (sue) on it

Reactions: ArtK
I got the notification this morning. But oddly enough I picked up my car less than 2 weeks ago after a 3 week delay where they had to fix something with the suspension. I reached out if it is the same thing but they are saying this is different. If true it’s pretty ridiculous that they couldn’t do this while my car was there. I find it hard to believe that they didn’t know about this while my car was there.

On a related note has anyone checked their VIN on the Tesla recall site? Does this one show up? Mine is not there…yet.

Britney Spears wrote:

"I got a recall notice. My title is salvage. I'm really curious if Tesla will ever contact me for a service appointment they will actually perform. Tesla has entangled themselves with the conflicts of removing SC from salvage cars with unbeknownst forced OTA software interjection post 3rd party purchase violating "as is where is" common law and disallowing servicing a salvage car unless a battery inspection is performed first. I'm not paying for an inspection and Tesla will be at odds with the state in which they sell cars if they make some owners more worthy of a recall than others.

A somewhat off-topic but relevant statement I'd like to make is they've further entangled themselves with the problems of not selling parts to the public or even having a process to do it. Yes, sure, you can buy some parts from them if you're the owner and you provide the vin and you go to the tesla dealer in person to make that purchase as is there is no way to buy parts online, only view. Some parts like simple, front-end, sheetmetal, dead-metal brackets are "restricted". This is in conflict with every state's compelling rules to put salvaged vehicles back on the road. Tesla wants their cake and eat it too (sell cars in states and not be in line with their recycle rules) and I hope someone has the money and energy to call them (sue) on it."

This post opens up several complex liability issues, especially the statement that I've highlighted.

Do you know more about the battery system than the designers/engineers do? Why would you NOT want Tesla to inspect it?

Britney Spears wrote:

"I got a recall notice. My title is salvage. I'm really curious if Tesla will ever contact me for a service appointment they will actually perform. Tesla has entangled themselves with the conflicts of removing SC from salvage cars with unbeknownst forced OTA software interjection post 3rd party purchase violating "as is where is" common law and disallowing servicing a salvage car unless a battery inspection is performed first. I'm not paying for an inspection and Tesla will be at odds with the state in which they sell cars if they make some owners more worthy of a recall than others.

A somewhat off-topic but relevant statement I'd like to make is they've further entangled themselves with the problems of not selling parts to the public or even having a process to do it. Yes, sure, you can buy some parts from them if you're the owner and you provide the vin and you go to the tesla dealer in person to make that purchase as is there is no way to buy parts online, only view. Some parts like simple, front-end, sheetmetal, dead-metal brackets are "restricted". This is in conflict with every state's compelling rules to put salvaged vehicles back on the road. Tesla wants their cake and eat it too (sell cars in states and not be in line with their recycle rules) and I hope someone has the money and energy to call them (sue) on it."

This post opens up several complex liability issues, especially the statement that I've highlighted.

Do you know more about the battery system than the designers/engineers do? Why would you NOT want Tesla to inspect it?
I didn’t say that. I wrote I’m not paying for it. They typically charge customers for that.

Reactions: Pianewman