Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Standard Range AWD to be priced at $59,990 USD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, that depends on your plan. If you're paying .35 cents super off peak, wow! And to the real point even at .35 it's still a ton cheaper than buying gas. Btw, I pay .19 cents super off peak.
That’s what my SCE (Edison) monthly statement says and are on the better plan. Anyone living in OC can agree😬

Driving 90-100 daily =
Time to consider Solar.
exactly, without solar panels at home it’s definitely not worth driving a Tesla or any other EV.. Hybrids, specially a Prius is still the best.. some think
That’s the average cost at SC, no?

My rate here in Ohio is $0.08 all day, every day. Yikes! Then again, we’re coal powered. 🤢
WOW … those were the rates in California 50 years ago 😲🤣😂

People need to seriously consider how much they will be paying per kWh at home.. California none peek hours is about .35 😬 and will definitely be more each year..
I don't know where you live in California but those prices are way more than I am paying with SCE's TOU-D-Prime program which is available to those with electric or plug in hybrid vehicles, battery storage or heat pumps). I pay .21 per kwh in the winter and .22 in the summer. Peak hours are 4-9pm M-F and are much more expensive .54 per kwh in the summer. My electric bill actually dropped after I got my Tesla. FWIW, I live near the coast in Torrance and under the tier program our tier allowances were much lower because Edison didn't think we needed AC.

I do agree that prices will be going up, as SCE already raised the off-peak rates by over 33% since last year as they make us pay for their incompetence and failure to maintain their infrastructure.

Reactions: robeeen
I don't know where you live in California but those prices are way more than I am paying with SCE's TOU-D-Prime program which is available to those with electric or plug in hybrid vehicles, battery storage or heat pumps). I pay .21 per kwh in the winter and .22 in the summer. Peak hours are 4-9pm M-F and are much more expensive .54 per kwh in the summer. My electric bill actually dropped after I got my Tesla. FWIW, I live near the coast in Torrance and under the tier program our tier allowances were much lower because Edison didn't think we needed AC.

I do agree that prices will be going up, as SCE already raised the off-peak rates by over 33% since last year as they make us pay for their incompetence and failure to maintain their infrastructure.
Edison does offer different programs; Im looking into that now.. but it’s crazy how kWh continue to rise..
Solar panels seem to be the answer, but that means you have to finance 25-30 panels for about $35K-$50K on top of what we paid for the Tesla.. 😲🤦🏻‍♂️😳

It's not if people are still throwing money at it?
The thing is - and given first hand experience while trying to look for 2nd car replacement and given current prices for Y/EVs and available options (looking for 7 or 8 seater, family use) - there are no great obvious choices.

Given what we know as of today and how well Tesla has fared (also the flood of EVs coming on over next 2-3 years, options like solid range and ride quality and interior quality) - any 7 ICE seater I spend on will lose so much money in pure depreciation that I may as well get another Tesla! (Any ICE 7 seater with their pathetic MPG and maintenance will be less than <10-15k in resale value in 2-3 years — basically a junk). What we get today should be of some resale/worth in 4-5 years at least to make upgrading easier, and anything other than well established Y is in a way throwing money down the drain however much I hate the price hikes and now bit despised Tesla brand.

I really like the Plug-in hybrids (seems like fantastic concept) but just 40 mile EV range will be blown away and make this ICE hybrid depreciate a whole lot more with increasing battery range (I think it should be close to 100 miles battery range - that would be awesome combination and in 7 seater). Instead of 5 seater crossover/compact Plug in hybrid I’ll invest in 250-280 mile pure EV.
I believe that is big reason for Tesla playing the market and huge Y demand. Hoping another 3-4 months (global pandemic+war situation) things will improve and prices start to come back to sensible range (63k for 2 row Y AWD given the ride quality is about 10k more IMHO and unsustainable and Tesla playing the market). For me, how Tesla has managed the FSD (overall rollout/feature upgrade, phantom braking!, battery range loss even in 3 yr window, 12k price and hikes given where software was 2-3 years back in terms of practical usage, road noise and feeling the bumps) — that has been a downer on otherwise superb brand (model 3 owner). I know how Nickel prices have been insane, but quite a few things like FSD price hikes, Y prices, even what I hear of solar roof) - I’m turning a skeptic. Consistency is a quality - and I’m not yet sure Tesla has that part figured out as well to command ~20% outright premium on similar other EV vehicles

Is there a forecast production ramp for the Austin MY? I can't get my head around what the North America model Y market looks with more than double production. Tesla is going to make a boatload of money if they can keep current prices through 2023.

The thing is - and given first hand experience while trying to look for 2nd car replacement and given current prices for Y/EVs and available options (looking for 7 or 8 seater, family use) - there are no great obvious choices.

Given what we know as of today and how well Tesla has fared (also the flood of EVs coming on over next 2-3 years, options like solid range and ride quality and interior quality) - any 7 ICE seater I spend on will lose so much money in pure depreciation that I may as well get another Tesla! (Any ICE 7 seater with their pathetic MPG and maintenance will be less than <10-15k in resale value in 2-3 years — basically a junk). What we get today should be of some resale/worth in 4-5 years at least to make upgrading easier, and anything other than well established Y is in a way throwing money down the drain however much I hate the price hikes and now bit despised Tesla brand.

I really like the Plug-in hybrids (seems like fantastic concept) but just 40 mile EV range will be blown away and make this ICE hybrid depreciate a whole lot more with increasing battery range (I think it should be close to 100 miles battery range - that would be awesome combination and in 7 seater). Instead of 5 seater crossover/compact Plug in hybrid I’ll invest in 250-280 mile pure EV.
I believe that is big reason for Tesla playing the market and huge Y demand. Hoping another 3-4 months (global pandemic+war situation) things will improve and prices start to come back to sensible range (63k for 2 row Y AWD given the ride quality is about 10k more IMHO and unsustainable and Tesla playing the market). For me, how Tesla has managed the FSD (overall rollout/feature upgrade, phantom braking!, battery range loss even in 3 yr window, 12k price and hikes given where software was 2-3 years back in terms of practical usage, road noise and feeling the bumps) — that has been a downer on otherwise superb brand (model 3 owner). I know how Nickel prices have been insane, but quite a few things like FSD price hikes, Y prices, even what I hear of solar roof) - I’m turning a skeptic. Consistency is a quality - and I’m not yet sure Tesla has that part figured out as well to command ~20% outright premium on similar other EV vehicles
Don’t forget all these Plug-In Hybrid’s while limited in range they do qualify for the $7500 fed tax rebate 😲👍🏻

Reactions: AJ..
Just seems strange that they are 'wasting' these 4680 cells on a SR and presumably not filling the pack bays.

I'd almost been expecting that they would have released a more expensive Perf+ or maybe even Plaid Y, that would have Longer Range taking advantage of the efficiency of the 4680s.

I am no
Driving 90-100 daily =

exactly, without solar panels at home it’s definitely not worth driving a Tesla or any other EV.. Hybrids, specially a Prius is still the best.. some think

This doesn't make sense. Assuming $4.per gallon that is approximately $8 per day for gas at 45-50 mpg. I average less than 250wh mile so 100 miles would be no more than 25kwh of power, which at .22 per Kwh would be $5.50. FWIW my wile drives a Prius and her cost per mile just for gas is definitely more that our LR MY. If you add in maintenance, its a no brainer, the Tesla is definitely cheaper.

I am no

This doesn't make sense. Assuming $4.per gallon that is approximately $8 per day for gas at 45-50 mpg. I average less than 250wh mile so 100 miles would be no more than 25kwh of power, which at .22 per Kwh would be $5.50. FWIW my wile drives a Prius and her cost per mile just for gas is definitely more that our LR MY. If you add in maintenance, its a no brainer, the Tesla is definitely cheaper.
Here in OC CA. The gasoline is almost $7 per gallon and the kWh is about .33 cents 🤔😬

Just seems strange that they are 'wasting' these 4680 cells on a SR and presumably not filling the pack bays.

I'd almost been expecting that they would have released a more expensive Perf+ or maybe even Plaid Y, that would have Longer Range taking advantage of the efficiency of the 4680s.

Tesla can make ~15% more MYSR's and sell them at near-MYLR prices vs taking the same cells and building fewer MYLR's with them. Seems like a very pragmatic choice.

I am no

I agree. At $6 gas prices, even if I run purely on superchargers during peak hours my MYLR gets the cost equivalent of well over 100 mpg.

Hybrids are great for flexibility (if you can get one at less than $10k dealer markup). But they are not cheaper to run than a Tesla.

I agree. At $6 gas prices, even if I run purely on superchargers during peak hours my MYLR gets the cost equivalent of well over 100 mpg. Hybrids are great for flexibility (if you can get one at less than $10k dealer markup). But they are not cheaper to run than a Tesla.
I agree. At $6 gas prices, even if I run purely on superchargers during peak hours my MYLR gets the cost equivalent of well over 100 mpg. Hybrids are great for flexibility (if you can get one at less than $10k dealer markup). But they are not cheaper to run than a Tesla.

Status
Not open for further replies.