Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Standard Range AWD to be priced at $59,990 USD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm honestly dumbfounded at that impression. Complete opposite of what I felt driving the two back to back.

The only thing I can think of is I have the 19” sport wheels. I’ve owned a 2021 Y with inductions and a 2022 Y with geminis. The Y has been more comfortable and less harsh… of course all Teslas are rough in comparison to my ID.4 that I owned in the fall and the Korean twins that I test drove.

I also drive in smooth Florida roads and the smallest undulations I can feel them on the 3. Again, I drive these two basically daily…

Reactions: mangrove79
Just seems strange that they are 'wasting' these 4680 cells on a SR and presumably not filling the pack bays.

I'd almost been expecting that they would have released a more expensive Perf+ or maybe even Plaid Y, that would have Longer Range taking advantage of the efficiency of the 4680s.

Not wasting... they can sell more SR models with less cells vs LR models. I am willing to bet many current LR reservation holders would want to switch their orders to Austin/SR if they can reduce delivery times by half a year (similar to what happened with the LFP Model 3 SR).

If they sold LR models with 4680 cells alongside 2170 LR (Fremont), they would have a whole different problem on their hands where people would cancel their Fremont LR orders to try and get an Austin LR Y instead.

correct me if I’m wrong but battery chemistry is not known. So whether it is LFP or not is unknown. Having the lower range LFP would make sense so you could charge to 100%, but I wasn’t under the impression that 4680 was going to LFP. Or are those two not connected at all?

Reactions: Daekwan
That said, there’s no way to justify buying a Tesla based on savings on cost of energy. Cool toys cost money, and low operating cost and, for the moment, low (or negative) depreciation just reduce the economic hit somewhat.

Better yet, use the reasoning that you save money for each mile you drive to justify more road trips in your Tesla! 😁
Well, ngl that was part of my "convince the wife" schpiel and we're headed one city over for my upcoming bday for that reason so I do agree!

But I still say the savings are appreciable. If I spend, say, $30k more on a Tesla than another vehicle I wouldn't be bored to tears in and it's 8x less per mile I'll save that in 100k miles. That's a lot of miles, but I'll drive them eventually. I only wish I had switched sooner.

Last edited:
😃 I love that .13 / kWh rate ..WOW hard to beat 👍🏻 My Prius has over 250 K miles and still get 35 mpg.. set of 4 new tires under $200 👍🏻 Cold A/C, good sound system, leather seats still comfortable, sunroof, use my phone for Google map/gps, playlist and everything else.

Can travel from Anaheim CA to Scottsdale AZ to visit my daughter on a full tank 10.5 gal and still have one bar left; use about 9.5 gal for 360 mile trip. Best part I don’t make any stops 5:30 hours at about 75-85 mph. CHP don’t even notice a Prius if it’s going over the speed limit. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤣😂👍🏻
Sorry for insulting your car, that is definitely impressive! It's hard to justify Tesla numbers vs. that for sure. I'm not even going to bother calculating how many miles you'd have to drive to make up for that difference :D

But my other reason for getting a Tesla was wanting to leave fossil fuels behind so while some PHEVs were on my list initially, and did have attractive numbers, I ultimately decided to pay up.

Are we really comparing Prius to Tesla in this thread? That is like comparing a Porsche to a Honda. Sure they are both cars. Other than them being EV's there is literally NOTHING else to compare. I would bet that about 90% of the people would not even think of cross shopping these. I wouldn't buy a Prius even if it was 1/4 the cost. I would buy an ICE car before that. Consumers for those two cars are completely different.

Are we really comparing Prius to Tesla in this thread? That is like comparing a Porsche to a Honda. Sure they are both cars. Other than them being EV's there is literally NOTHING else to compare. I would bet that about 90% of the people would not even think of cross shopping these. I wouldn't buy a Prius even if it was 1/4 the cost. I would buy an ICE car before that. Consumers for those two cars are completely different.
I think the argument was that you wouldn't choose one over the other for per-mile savings alone, with the Prius demonstrating one end of the savings scale. Certainly anyone buying a Tesla isn't overly cost conscious ;)

The price for this standard range is baffling, I have a long range locked in $4k lower than the current pricing, I’ll definitely be keeping that now.

Also surprised at most of y’all’s electric rates here in LA. I’m in Torrance and have SCE's TOU-D-Prime. We pay $0.19 off peak, $0.19 mid peak and $0.46 peak. Also we have Tesla solar/powerwalls so pretty much all of our car charging for multiple cars is done off grid.

From Tesla's Viewpoint,
It's a brilliant idea to open Giga Austin with a brand new model "for the masses"...

• New Battery
• Full Castings
• Etc.

With their strategy, Fremont continues to churn out MYLRs to barely satisfy a one year queue with no end in sight. Good for Tesla.

At $50-52k price point, this car would be insane. It's too high and too close in price to the MYLR. They will sell. But I think Tesla missed a bigger opportunity.

I assume the MY LR jumps to $68,999, and the MYP to $74,999 as soon as the SR is officially released. I'm officially out of buying another MY for my wife. I'll be keeping my 2020 until it falls apart, and getting an ICE for her. I want to do better, but the current LR is already overpriced.
yeah. same here. I might convince her to get a Model 3 AWD or we will take a look at a decked out ID.4 or Ioniq5 or a Mach E (should they become available again). if the Model Y approaches $70k ... you could get a 320 miles rated Rivian R1T adventure edition for just a few $k more....

At anything $55K or less.. I was set to immediately order. Figured I could sell my '21 MYSR RWD for at least that much.. maybe more. And in return get a new car, new warranty, new features, a little more performance, AWD, and +50 more miles of range.. for no more than about $8,000 upgrade including all taxes, titles, fees, etc.

At $60K for the 'standard range'.. I'm back to keeping my '21 MYSR forever. Still works perfectly fine. Has enough range to cover 99% of the driving I would do in a single day. And looks identical to this new Austin-built car w/4680 structured pack that so many of us have waited on for the past year.

If anything I'm really disappointed with how the whole Austin thing turned out. And feel like an idiot for waiting and waiting.. but not trading my MYSR for an MYP early this year when used car quotes were at their highest.. and the MYP was still $64K. Even then it would have been at least $12K out of pocket to upgrade to an MYP.. for a car that was really just a significantly quicker version of what I already have + 25% more range.

Status
Not open for further replies.