Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Standard Range AWD to be priced at $59,990 USD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
with a Tesla or not, those are PGE rates for the Bay Area. He got bumped up a tier bc he's using more electricity from charging his car. Yea, most new Tesla buyer get a sticker shock when they see their first PGE bill. Bet u most of us don't even pay attention to our bill until you start charging! lol

Well prices are getting high but from the backlog it seems people are OK with them and still placing orders . Teslas are a proven value in the EV market so if you buy now its not like you are going to lose alot of money. This is just a terrible time to buy any car new or used and no great deals out there anyway. Maybe in a year or too things will calm down. Life is short so just make the best decision for your needs and do not worry what others think.

Reactions: DrGriz
How u get 0.13? what part of Bay Area u from if u don’t mind sharing.

I’m from south SF and pge charging me 0.38 ish off peak and peak. I’m have CARE discount so they’re charging me 0.27 ish for off peak and peak.

Even for their EV rate off peak, it’s around 0.24. Peak is 0.58!

I also have solar now so those are the rate if my panel don’t produce enough for my daily use.
Silicon Valley Power in Santa Clara. I’m on the Non-Time of Use plan. $0.13175 is the top rate.

79E1A9E5-833C-4A6C-BA35-212E5BC3B01F.jpeg

Reactions: yellowr6
Your points are spot on, in a situation where they can make more than they sell. But in the current market, they sell as many as they make at the higher price.

Lowering the price doesn't increase the supply, so they can't increase their customer base that way. Unless you are proposing they lose the higher paying customers in favor of lower paying customers.
Appreciate that...
You understand where I'm going just one tweak...

They're not losing higher paying customers...
They would be adding customers who can afford $50k, but not $60k. Plus not canabalize their $63k MYLR sales with a $60k SR+.

Sigh. Read the part where it's explained that Tesla ALREADY sells every single car they can make, and has a waiting list that runs into mid 2023.

Lowering the price will not sell a single additional car.

Everyone here knows that. I waited too. Wait is not important.
I see 2 errors Tesla made:

1. They took themselves out of competition with a $60k price tag. There are a lot of EVs at the $50k price point. If all you had $50k to spend, and all choices included a Tesla, which would you buy?

2. Today, and months ahead, every SR out of Austin will be sold out. Over this year, with a $3k difference in price Tesla can easily canabalize their own Fremont MYLR sales.

Bottom line...at $52k, Tesla's MYSR+ margin would be 12%, matching the industry average, not the current 22% margin on their other vehicles.

Personally, I don't fault Tesla for their margins, this is capitalism. They, IMHO, simply missed an opportunity to make even more money.

Last edited:
1. They took themselves out of competition with a $60k price tag. There are a lot of EVs at the $50k price point. If all you had $50k to spend, and all choices included a Tesla, which would you buy?

You're not making any sense. Tesla WON the competition. They have a line of people clear to 2023 WAITING to buy the car.

1. They took themselves out of competition with a $60k price tag. There are a lot of EVs at the $50k price point.
Perhaps where you live, there’s a lot of EV’s, but around here (within about 200 mile radius), there aren’t any. Maybe an old 2013 40 mile range leaf or i3 with similar range, but any new modern electric, PHV, and even regular hybrid is missing from every dealer lot.

So whatever Tesla puts out, even if it’s $3000 lower than their current lowest offering, is going to sell, because people can actually order them and get some sort of an EDD, no matter how far off or inaccurate it is. That’s a lot better than just waiting and waiting, only to pay more because the dealer can get away with charging more.

That's what they said about GM.
Competition is never ending in this business.

Me,
I'm one for putting a stake in the heart of my rivals, while my foot is on their throat.

GM is not involved here, nor is their pattern of decades of customer neglect.

Tesla is SOLD OUT and beyond. And they have easily proven willing to move prices down when market conditions merit. The odds of Tesla sitting on a too-high price in another year or two and having to idle their factory are pretty much zero.

You're not making any sense. Tesla WON the competition. They have a line of people clear to 2023 WAITING to buy the car.
For now, but the competition isn’t over. They only won the latest round. Just a few years ago, Tesla was flirting with bankruptcy, while GM and Ford have been around over 100 years. Tesla has smartly navigated the supply chain issues of the last few years which has put them in a strong position in the EV market, but they will need to continue to compete and innovate if they want to stay on top.

Reactions: Daekwan and voxel
For now, but the competition isn’t over. They only won the latest round. Just a few years ago, Tesla was flirting with bankruptcy, while GM and Ford have been around over 100 years. Tesla has smartly navigated the supply chain issues of the last few years which has put them in a strong position in the EV market, but they will need to continue to compete and innovate if they want to stay on top.

The only way we can rationally discuss Teslas current prices, is to talk about the CURRENT time.

As I said - Tesla has already proven much faster on its feet than competitors with respect to adapting to market changes. That's WHY Teslas are expensive right now, while the competition eats costs and lets their dealers gouge the public.

In a year, or 2 years - Tesla will be setting prices appropriate to their cost structure and the marketplace against their factory capacity, all of which will be different

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.