Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Standard Range AWD to be priced at $59,990 USD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1. They took themselves out of competition with a $60k price tag. There are a lot of EVs at the $50k price point. If all you had $50k to spend, and all choices included a Tesla, which would you buy?

If Tesla listed their AWD standard Y for 50k ish, GG for all other auto company! and GL to consumer too. There will be 1.5 to 2 year wait!

Was chatting with a couple friends about EV. One guy has a leaf. Another guy has a M3 SR. Both guys order the LR Y and coming summer ish. Waiting for 6 months and counting.

Toyota BZ and the Subaru EV is coming out soon. Both low 40k for the FWD. AWD is about 52k ish. EV6 and the ioniq5 is about 55k too for their AWD. For this comparison, im not going to include any FWD pricing bc a Y is AWD and im only shopping for a AWD SUV crossover type.

so if all I had is 50k and the AWD Y is at 60k, which will I buy? none of them. Here's why:

If im spending 50k on a new vehicle, I want it to be my daily driver. Talking commute, weekend errands and road trips. There's only one brand that can check all those mark. It is a Tesla bc of their SC! Forget about the Toyota or Subaru , their charging speed is too slow. Plus only 225 ish range. Why would u pay over 50k for that! But the Ev6 and I5 charge rate is great but their range is 240 ish? and no SC! why pay 55k ish for them too ! Again, this is all without adding in Markup. We all know stealership will add on 5k-8k ish to take ur 7500 tax credit. If no markup, maybe 1.5 to 2 years wait for them!

Yea, if I can't afford a Y, I'll go with a rav4 prime for around 45k ish. 40mile range is good enough for my daily use. And gas for road trip. I would rather buy a used leaf, bolt or any plug in to commute to work and short weekend errands. My 2 cents. :)

Reactions: house9
For now, but the competition isn’t over. They only won the latest round. Just a few years ago, Tesla was flirting with bankruptcy, while GM and Ford have been around over 100 years. Tesla has smartly navigated the supply chain issues of the last few years which has put them in a strong position in the EV market, but they will need to continue to compete and innovate if they want to stay on top.
Being around for 100 years doesn't guarantee you will be around for another 100 years. GM and Ford also need to innovate to compete. Tesla have been doing exactly that to get into such a strong position in such a short time. It's true that Tesla need to continue along a path of innovation, but I think it's the old guard that needs to change their game more to compete.

People need to seriously consider how much they will be paying per kWh at home.. California none peek hours is about .35 😬 and will definitely be more each year..
just a quick calculation, i know it is still alot, but let say charging 80kWh, and non-peak hours rate is 0.35, it still comes to $28. it is still cheaper to pump at the gas station

Yea, if I can't afford a Y, I'll go with a rav4 prime for around 45k ish.
Where are you finding RAV4 Primes for 45k?

They’re quite a bit more than that. About $40,000 more:

AC0F4CA2-44DD-4393-822E-85D8CDFC2B63.jpeg

C87275A8-82B8-4139-9005-5515D492B791.jpeg

Granted, around the country the markup probably isn’t nearly as bad as this one. But in today (as in right now), RAV4 Primes ain’t $45,000, or anywhere near it.

I'd agree a RAV4 Prime does make a lot of economic sense, but Toyota isn't making a lot of them, not nearly enough for everyone who wants one to have one. Hence the outrageous markup. Their primary business is selling Corolla's, Camries, Gas RAV4's, Highlanders, etc. Had this company got the foresight to predict the market we are in today, they would've bumped the Prime output by several hundred thousand, but it's too late for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Earl and DrGriz
If Tesla listed their AWD standard Y for 50k ish, GG for all other auto company! and GL to consumer too. There will be 1.5 to 2 year wait!

Yep, and there is no value in making the line longer. In fact, it would drive potential customers to utterly give up. They might want a $50k Tesla, but see that it's utterly impossible to order one in a rational amount of time, so the abandon the idea entirely. It's actually LESS motivating than a shorter line at a higher price which at least offers the option to pay more to get the superior car.

I just reserved a PMY (red on white, no hitch or FSD) and it was $69,970. I almost didn’t want to do it. I’m in fact thinking about the BMW i4 or other competitors right now..

Love Tesla, but with Tesla vision causing a regression in AP functionality and other competitors catching up in that regard, the only real advantage for me right now is the charging network (and even that is only valuable during trips as I charge at home)

Ugh
As an ex-BMW loyalist who recently drove 3 and 5 series M Sports for over a decade, kindly do not validate BMW's klutzy new design direction featuring those absurd looking Pinocchio and Cyrano style schnozzola grills.

Wow I paid 49,900 for my mylr. But I have the old processor and radar.😀 ill keep mine for a while. Cars prices are ridiculous. I would hate to have to purchase a new car in the next year. It’s all about supply and demand. However at this rate I won’t be able to afford my model X plaid.

Reactions: zpaul and MyMYLRnw
So, those that put their money where their mouth was last summer before inflation reared its ugly head, and didn't fiddle around trying to time a government tax handout that never materialized, realized a greater discount on their MY than the current $7500 Federal EV rebate? How ironic!
Remember how many people here were posting about delaying orders in hopes of an Austin VIN? Well congrats to them, their $60k MYSR are ready now!

These are lessons in why trying to time things out of your control is risky. It can work out, or it can cost you. At least there's MCU3 consolation prize for many/most who delayed.

Where are you finding RAV4 Primes for 45k?

They’re quite a bit more than that. About $40,000 more:

View attachment 794052

View attachment 794053

Granted, around the country the markup probably isn’t nearly as bad as this one. But in today (as in right now), RAV4 Primes ain’t $45,000, or anywhere near it.

I'd agree a RAV4 Prime does make a lot of economic sense, but Toyota isn't making a lot of them, not nearly enough for everyone who wants one to have one. Hence the outrageous markup. Their primary business is selling Corolla's, Camries, Gas RAV4's, Highlanders, etc. Had this company got the foresight to predict the market we are in today, they would've bumped the Prime output by several hundred thousand, but it's too late for that.

I was looking at a rav4 prime SE at $40k msrp. The dealer here in Daly City was getting a few once a month and they offer me $5k markup and I was going to accept it since i was waiting on my P. My wife has a Prius plug in second gen for commuting. Was going to trade it in for the rav4 but decided to just wait for the P. Don’t need two SUV crossover. And the wife commute daily is only 30 miles. So decided to just wait and not spend the extra money. :)

Reactions: MyMYLRnw
Fing CA!

damn, 0.04 in AZ! no point going solar is some states then. If you're from CA and own ur house and not planning to move within 15 years, u have to get solar.
Check out GA! 0.01 from 11p-7a!
Unfortunately that’s also what they pay you for “net metering” on Solar production.

Attachments

• 56BAA93B-1354-42B5-8BAE-B50C6F21E31B.jpeg
    56BAA93B-1354-42B5-8BAE-B50C6F21E31B.jpeg
    229.8 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: MyMYLRnw and DrGriz
Status
Not open for further replies.