Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Standard Range AWD to be priced at $59,990 USD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You trolling or what?

I think trolling is it. My personal guess is a combo of being short TSLA stock today ahead of record earnings beat, and then someone peed in their cheerios.

But its gotten boring. Let them go get screwed by their Toyota dealer as they insist that it's nothing but supply and demand. Maybe it'll clear out the taste of those cheerios from their memory :)

I think trolling is it. My personal guess is a combo of being short TSLA stock today ahead of record earnings beat, and then someone peed in their cheerios.

But its gotten boring. Let them go get screwed by their Toyota dealer as they insist that it's nothing but supply and demand. Maybe it'll clear out the taste of those cheerios from their memory :)
None of those actually, but it is kind of fun watching you die hards get your feathers so ruffled on an online forum though.

They are equivalent:
ZenRockGarden's car dealership sells a car with an MSRP of $50k for $60k because of a $10K mark up due to supply and demand.
They are still different. Manufacturer and dealership are two different entities. Hyundai/KIA are free to raise their prices for the same reason Tesla does. That is independent of whatever markup the dealership throws on top of that. That is how they are different.

Also, there was an article about a person that placed an order for the Hummer EV. The dealership didn't tell him they decided to markup his EV by $60K until after he went to pickup the EV. In fact they didn't even tell him at all, he found out himself when he was signing for the car. The Tesla equivalent would be if you schedule pickup, and when you bring the cashier's check Tesla tells you they decided to raise the price by $10k because of demand. Tesla doesn't do that whatever price you lock on at reservation time, is the price you pay at pickup. Chevy doesn't work that way.

None of those actually, but it is kind of fun watching you die hards get your feathers so ruffled on an online forum though.

We're not the sad person running around trolling message boards - we actually own and enjoy our Teslas. And we're openly encouraging you to go get something else and pay as much dealer markup as you like. Go for it!

Reactions: DrGriz and goin2drt
Does it really make you feel better that the $10k you paid more now for a Y goes directly to Tesla rather than Joe Smoe's Dealership?
Yes, yes it absolutely does, and I totally get what you're talking about.

If you're going to be out $10,000 due to a Mfgr's price hike or a dealership markup, it's all the same since you're out $10,000 either way. As a buyer, who cares who it's going to right? Totally get that, and if that's all you want to see of it, that's fine.

But if you decide to look a little deeper than this, it goes back to that Office Space scene where the question is asked "Why can't the customer just ask the engineers directly? Why do we need a middleman?" Why can't I just order a 4Runner from Toyota Japan, and pick it up from port of Long Beach after it ships in? Why can't Toyota service centers really be owned by Toyota and have Toyota employees in it?

Truth is, we really don't need dealers, and Tesla is trying to (somewhat successfully) show that. Had Tesla used dealers, we'd most likely have both a price hike and a dealer markup. That's not something anyone here would want, I'm sure.

So we have a choice - lose $10,000 to the Mfgr or the same amount to a middleman who many here believe has zero (or almost zero) value. I prefer to lose money to the former.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daekwan and zpaul
Yes, yes it absolutely does, and I totally get what you're talking about.

If you're going to be out $10,000 due to a Mfgr's price hike or a dealership markup, it's all the same since you're out $10,000 either way. As a buyer, who cares who it's going to right? Totally get that, and if that's all you want to see of it, that's fine.

But if you decide to look a little deeper than this, it goes back to that Office Space scene where the question is asked "Why can't the customer just ask the engineers directly? Why do we need a middleman?" Truth is, we really don't need dealers, and Tesla is trying to show that. Had Tesla used dealers, we'd most likely have both a price hike and a dealer markup.

So we have a choice - lose $10,000 to the Mfgr or the same amount to a middleman who many here believe has zero (or almost zero) value. I prefer to lose money to the former.
I get your point, and understand completely. For some it's out of principle and that's cool.

Being critical of Teslas lack of dealer markups is.... nonsensical.

I'm bored with you. Good luck with the trolling!
I'm not being critical of Tesla's dealer markups, which I thought you said weren't dealer markups anyways. Stop being so hurt.

"I'm bored with you. Good luck with the trolling!" - you keep saying this, yet you still keep going

There’s pros and cons to both sides. Yes there are certain dealers taking advantage of the current market and it’s easy to find those and point them out, especially the extreme examples, but there’s also dealers who will sell at MSRP. Even 4 years ago my friend wanted a Raptor and every ford dealer in our large metro area was marking them up 15k, he found a dealer an hour an a half drive in a smaller town that sold them at MSRP. With Tesla you don’t have to do that legwork, but also Tesla changes their pricing much more frequently than other OEMs, where increases usually revolve around model years.

On the other hand when it comes to service there are benefits to a traditional dealer model. For one the density of service centers. If one gives you bad service go to another. Usually with Tesla there aren’t multiple options within one area. There’s some pretty large metro areas with zero service presence, something that would make me consider selling my car if I moved to one because I’m not going to keep a car that I have to drive 2.5 hours one way to get serviced.

Also, for certain things Tesla flat out refuses to fix stuff that would be covered under any normal car warranty. For instance, the side of the driver cushion above the control area was showing cracks at 5k miles. Tesla claims it’s normal wear and tear and I escalated it to the manager and they still refused. That’s BS and you have no recourse.

Yes right now the supercharger network is a big deal, but not if you do most of your charging at home. And there will be more and more EA, Chargepoint, etc stations continuing to be built over time to the point they’ll overtake Superchargers. And if Musk does open the superchargers up to everyone then that advantage goes away.

Reactions: Daekwan and Suns
Can't be California. I just halped a friend that bought a car a little while ago. She called every Hyundai/kia dealer in California, and couldn't find one for MSRP.

Yep, and a car sitting on a lot with the factory window sticker on it does not always mean that the dealer will SELL you that car for MSRP - That is exactly the situation I found when I was considering getting a RAV4 Prime. I went to the local Toyota dealer. They had a prime on the lot, with a perfectly normal window sticker on it. I drove it, and offered to buy it at the displayed price. Dealer immediately waved me off "Oh, no, that's just the 'factory' sticker, these are going for $12k over." I stared in disbelief (since this added not only $12k to the cost of the car, but also another couple thousand in higher taxes, license fee etc which are indexed to the purchase price). $62k for a RAV4? Seriously? Yep.

Buh Bye! I put a deposit down on my Tesla the next day. For MSRP. For LESS than the Rav4. And despite the supply crisis and prices going up by $8k between when I ordered and when I took delivery - Tesla got me my car at the exact MSRP I ordered it at. No nonsense. No arguing.

Last edited:
Back in July 2020, I did wanted the rav4 prime when it first came out. I went into the Stealership. There was one XSE for 50k MSRP and I was interested. Saleman came back and said, sorry, There's additional $7500 markup. So I passed knowing a LR Y was $50k at that time.

So went home and order the Y at 49.9k. Got it for 49.9 as advertise. Took delivery sept 2020 and never looking back. :)

so yea, F markup. Until these legacy auto copy Tesla on how to sell cars, they might not be around in 5 years. lol

Back in July 2020, I did wanted the rav4 prime when it first came out. I went into the Stealership. There was one XSE for 50k MSRP and I was interested. Saleman came back and said, sorry, There's additional $7500 markup. So I passed knowing a LR Y was $50k at that time.

So went home and order the Y at 49.9k. Got it for 49.9 as advertise. Took delivery sept 2020 and never looking back. :)

so yea, F markup. Until these legacy auto copy Tesla on how to sell cars, they might not be around in 5 years. lol
lol. yeah. right. back in July 2020 during peak covid there was a $7,500 (!) dealership markup on a Rav4. fairy tale time - or maybe should have gone to a different dealer. We had 10%+ unemployment in July 2020 , lock downs in many states and oil was $40 / bbl .... and car dealerships didnt have the power to demand such markups. And demand was low - given that it took you only 8 weeks from order to delivery with Tesla.

but hey - it's a cute story

lol. yeah. right. back in July 2020 during peak covid there was a $7,500 (!) dealership markup on a Rav4. fairy tale time - or maybe should have gone to a different dealer. We had 10%+ unemployment in July 2020 , lock downs in many states and oil was $40 / bbl .... and car dealerships didnt have the power to demand such markups. And demand was low - given that it took you only 8 weeks from order to delivery with Tesla.

but hey - it's a cute story
Your story is actually cuter as during that time car dealerships didn't even have inventory and the inventory they had was selling above MSRP even for a basic "non hot model" car. RV's even worse. The few that were at dealers were going for MSRP and RV's sell normilly for 25% below MSRP.

Status
Not open for further replies.