Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Test Drive Sydney 21/06

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Team i just though i would let you know about the Tesla Model Y Miranda office Sydney.

Booked in about 2 weeks ago and advised 21/06 was the first available and in so took the opportunity.
I currently have a M3P.

My first thoughts are it will be slow and the interior will not be different or very minor change in feeling.

The model tested is the Regular Model Y,
The feedback is wow. The power which i expected to be poor is actually fantastic and for day to day use is far more than most ICE vehicles offer. Overtaking is easy as is pulling away from traffic lights. In the $70k segment very few will do better.

Next is the interior. It is far far bigger than the M3. Seating position is higher more comfortable you dont feel like lying down rather more upright.
Next the cross beam is not there behind your head which is a 110% improvement. The feeling of space and airiness is incomparable to the 3.
The cabin is quiet and feels every bit as quality as the 3. The fit and finish is marginally better in this car than my M3 MY22.

The boot is deeper and side storage slots are huge. (no parcel shelf or blind is included.) 2 electric release buttons and the seats pop down .
Under storage is good. Although instead of making odd compartments under the floor maybe a better way is to have a removable floor which allows a clear span and an overall increase in depth running the whole lengths. I can only assume the read motor is in the way. although it just feels to many non usable under floor storage areas that will never get used. Especially with boot mat.

The ride with the regular tyre/wheel combination is a magnitude better than the my model 3P. It is day and night riding over average roads was buttery smooth. It is still a firm suspension when compared to a run of the mill Kia or Mazda suv although it handles better and feels planted and is very comfortable. Definitely the best ride i ave had in a Tesla.

No creeks or squeaks to report . A well build solid car.

Note the LFP battery and the 99% SOC on pick up.

Any questions please ask away happy to answer .
Tesla Y 3.jpg

Tesla y 2.jpg

Tesla Y.jpg

Thank you so much for the detailed write up, I really appreciate it, as we haven't received the demo cars here in Perth yet.

From what you've said, I really think this car will suit us well (I have 3 teenage boys and 2 large dogs 😳)

Thank you so much for the detailed write up, I really appreciate it, as we haven't received the demo cars here in Perth yet.

From what you've said, I really think this car will suit us well (I have 3 teenage boys and 2 large dogs 😳)
I think it is fantastic plenty of room in the back. As the seat is higher off the ground and the roof is higher more pronounced in the back the room is great. Also no center tunnel and in so the room for feet is better than most cars arguably better than my wife's BMW X5. If you car kids play sport the room in the boot is better than average ICE suv X5 included.

Reactions: *Sparkles*
We find the M3 quite bumpy these days
How does the Y compare? How is the turning circle and visibility otherwise?
Did anyone ride in the back seat? Any comments there
Bumpy as mentioned much better so much so its actually comfortable and complaint. Still on the sporty side of the comfort spectrum. Think Porsche mecan as opposed to Lexus NX/RX.
Turning circle similar. Although rear window visibility is poor. Worse than M3 it was the first thing i noticed getting in.

Back seats are A1. Nothing to report M# but deeper with much more head room, felt wider. Although i didn't spend as much time in the rear.

I can also confirm rear privacy glass is done. So no tinting required at the rear.

Bumpy as mentioned much better so much so its actually comfortable and complaint. Still on the sporty side of the comfort spectrum. Think Porsche mecan as opposed to Lexus NX/RX.
Turning circle similar. Although rear window visibility is poor. Worse than M3 it was the first thing i noticed getting in.

Back seats are A1. Nothing to report M# but deeper with much more head room, felt wider. Although i didn't spend as much time in the rear.

I can also confirm rear privacy glass is done. So no tinting required at the rear.
thanks
I agree with rear window visibility but we got used to it. cant understand why such a small mirror but insignificant
Dont like the Gemini wheels, plan to test drive one with the 20in to see how it feels

still torn if we should upgrade to the Y, but might wait a while longer since we missed the initial window

I have a test drive booked soon but have played in the one at Chatswood whilst there for a service on the M3. Agree with the roominess and I really liked the look of the Y as I think the 3 is ugly looking at the front, lucky I am always on the inside!
One thing I did find when I sat in the rear I thought the view was pretty much only of the back of the front seats. The fronts have been raised plenty to give the foot room in the rear which is welcome but have resulted in the 'closed in' feeling despite the roominess.

Thanks for sharing your views @illusivedreams

interesting that you find the power pretty good since you are driving a M3P and great to hear the ride is pretty good. Do you find noise levels to be better than your M3 given that it has dual pane glass at the back as well?

Also re sound system, I know it’s the same but I imagine that it will sound better in your M3P? There are reviews that says sound in MY can be boomy due to the size inside.

I think it is fantastic plenty of room in the back. As the seat is higher off the ground and the roof is higher more pronounced in the back the room is great. Also no center tunnel and in so the room for feet is better than most cars arguably better than my wife's BMW X5. If you car kids play sport the room in the boot is better than average ICE suv X5 included.
Thanks very much - great to know!

Since you are driving an M3P, it is interesting to hear how well the power is, and I am glad to hear the ride is good. Due to the fact that it has dual pane glass at the back, do you think it is quieter than your M3?
Its quieter for a different reason. In my opinion it was Quieter due to the taller profile tires.
The ride is smoother resulting in better NVH.

If you were able to put the same profile tires on the M3P than i think the NVH would be near equal. Although i assume for the rear passenger there would be improvements just not something i could measure on my TD.

The power was a surprise. As it is extremely competent for it size and piers.
You can not use the M3P performance most of the time. Its great for scaring friends and pulling into traffic potential track days i want to do. Although daily i love having the reserve but dont use it.

Reactions: Hairyman
I'm surprised to hear you say no parcel shelf is included. I've seen various reports of MIC and MIG Y's with the new parcel shelf and the lip to accommodate it.

Presumably, our Y's will have them too?
The test car didn't have a parcel shelf 100% Although it could be like a loan car where they remove things like mats and so on. I didn't ask the SA but can only confirm the test vehicle definitely didn't have the shelf.