Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Test Drive Sydney 21/06

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Team i just though i would let you know about the Tesla Model Y Miranda office Sydney.

Booked in about 2 weeks ago and advised 21/06 was the first available and in so took the opportunity.
I currently have a M3P.

My first thoughts are it will be slow and the interior will not be different or very minor change in feeling.

The model tested is the Regular Model Y,
The feedback is wow. The power which i expected to be poor is actually fantastic and for day to day use is far more than most ICE vehicles offer. Overtaking is easy as is pulling away from traffic lights. In the $70k segment very few will do better.

Next is the interior. It is far far bigger than the M3. Seating position is higher more comfortable you dont feel like lying down rather more upright.
Next the cross beam is not there behind your head which is a 110% improvement. The feeling of space and airiness is incomparable to the 3.
The cabin is quiet and feels every bit as quality as the 3. The fit and finish is marginally better in this car than my M3 MY22.

The boot is deeper and side storage slots are huge. (no parcel shelf or blind is included.) 2 electric release buttons and the seats pop down .
Under storage is good. Although instead of making odd compartments under the floor maybe a better way is to have a removable floor which allows a clear span and an overall increase in depth running the whole lengths. I can only assume the read motor is in the way. although it just feels to many non usable under floor storage areas that will never get used. Especially with boot mat.

The ride with the regular tyre/wheel combination is a magnitude better than the my model 3P. It is day and night riding over average roads was buttery smooth. It is still a firm suspension when compared to a run of the mill Kia or Mazda suv although it handles better and feels planted and is very comfortable. Definitely the best ride i ave had in a Tesla.

No creeks or squeaks to report . A well build solid car.

Note the LFP battery and the 99% SOC on pick up.

Any questions please ask away happy to answer .
Tesla Y 3.jpg

Tesla y 2.jpg

Tesla Y.jpg

It is weird isn't it. Some people in the UK (RHD, from China) just had their MY delivery and it comes with parcel shelf

Would seem really odd for us not to get it given all other regions Y's seem to get it now. Would be interesting to see if it has the mounting "lip" on the left and right sides of the boot trim — maybe it's just missing the shelf itself.

SA told me it wasn't shipping with a parcel shelf. Given that a rear window tint will make it impossible to see in to I'm not bothered either way.

True, but I'm more interested in the likely NVH improvement due to the sound dampening a solid shelf would offer

Reactions: Maximillan
Aftermarket options:

Aftermarket options:
Those aftermarket options need a mount glued to the sides of the boot which looks real ghetto.

Would be interesting to see if it has the mounting "lip" on the left and right sides of the boot trim — maybe it's just missing the shelf itself.
True, but I'm more interested in the likely NVH improvement due to the sound dampening a solid shelf would offer
I hope so too! At least with the mounting lip it would just need an accessory to purchase - no modifications.

Would seem really odd for us not to get it given all other regions Y's seem to get it now.

I am optimistic about the parcel shelf since everywhere else has it. Otherwise manufacturing and inventory will be a nightmare. The showroom cars are Feb made cars and SAs don't really know what's coming from the factory so not suprised that they are saying that our cars won't have it.

Less optimistic about improved suspension though...as Berlin may have a different component supplier.

Reactions: positiv
Greetings from the other side of the world! I’ve had my Y for 2 years and I’d say most of the comments are spot on. My biggest complaint with my Y has been the suspension/ride. It’s very harsh on any sort of rough road so I’d check that before you buy but if you’re happy with it then that’s what matters. The MYP will have a worse ride than the LR due to the wheels. (to my knowledge, the suspension is the same between the two.) Also, regarding the wheels, I’ve read that the aero covers on the gemini actually reduce drag and increase the range, so there’s that consideration.

I’m 6’5”/195 cm, 100kg and have more room in my MY than I’ve had in just about any other car. Great leg room and great head room. Unlike most cars, even with the driver’s seat all the way back there’s still a reasonable amount of space for a passenger in the rear.

Regarding the panoramic roof, it’s really nice and open but it does tend to make the car a solarium, even with the IR tinting. Our summers get reasonably warm (upper 90’sF / upper 30’s C) and I’ve found a sunshade helps. The geometry of the roof means that pretty much every sunshade will sag. I purchased a sunshade from Tesmanian and they send some adhesive magnets to hold it up. As a practical matter, I still had plenty of headroom, even with my height, so the sagging was never more than a cosmetic issue.

Even the MY LR has plenty of power. That’s partially a personal preference thing but for daily driving I have mine on chill most of the time and still have no trouble leaving everyone behind. Here in the states, you can buy a performance boost for 2,000 USD that drops the 0-60 time from 4.8 to 4.2 sec, so that’s an option, too. Delivery times are supposedly faster for the MYP so many people here are opting for that instead of the LR. No idea if that affects anything for you guys, though.