Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y - Things You Should Know!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The windshield wiper jets don't seem to work properly, or maybe one of the jets came defective because the spray only hits a small section of the windshield and no matter how much is applied does not reach the full radius of both wipers. It's also such a weak mist that it has virtually no effect if I try to use it while moving and even when I'm stopped the mist/blade combo is not strong enough to actually remove any grime/residue that might be obstructing my view. And the wiper sensors don't react properly either, sometimes wiping when it's dry or not wiping when it's raining, so I have to manually control them which can actually be a little sketchy in heavy rain when you have to reach over and navigate through the touch screen. Especially because you really need to keep both hands on the wheel while driving this car in the rain, or even when it's wet out, because it handles so poorly in these conditions.
I could be wrong, but there seem to be factual errors in here. 2020 MY without the upgraded wipers, and somehow has the upgraded interior which didnt come out until 2021 AFAIK.
This leads me to the fact that I've started hydroplaning in this car in cases when I would have never expected to. Now I have to drive so slow if it's raining or wet out because the car just makes me feel so uneasy and unsafe, yet other cars have no problem handling it and fly right past me. It's not like I am a scaredy-cat either; I learned my lesson with this car the hard way: I was driving on a highway in heavy rain, going dead straight, treading very cautiously with both hands on the wheel, when a semi-truck passed me, and just the tire spray and/or wind from the truck was enough to push my flimsy Model Y off traction and the whole car started fish-tailing back and forth before spinning a rapid 180 off the road backwards. I got really lucky there was grass to the side, and I didn't hit anything besides a bump in the grass, but the steering and a bunch of other parts still got messed during the incident and it took a few weeks for the nearest Tesla service center to repair it. I had been driving super focused and aware, safe and slow, safety being my #1 goal and that STILL happened. I easily could have died.
Hydroplaning is your tires, replace them... its not the car
The passenger door is visibly not aligned properly and, as a result, causes a terrible sound when the door is shut and if someone shuts it even moderately hard the sound is so loud that it is literally painful on the ears.
Door not aligned? Schedule an appointment and they'll fix it
The phone charging mat that comes built into the car does not work most of the time.
I could be wrong, but there seem to be factual errors in here. 2020 MY without the upgraded wipers, and somehow has the upgraded interior which didnt come out until 2021 AFAIK.
The Tesla phone app is horrible, slow.

I thought the cameras were designed to keep the car safe, after all it constantly beeps ("yells") at you, cutting off whatever you're listening to, often absolutely unwarranted (not even close to the car ahead of you, etc.), yet one time I was slowly backing out of a parking spot and the car totally just LET me bump into a concrete ledge with absolutely no warning or sensor.
The driver keeps the car safe, sensors are aids. You're still supposed to look where you're going

Autopilot is also incredibly annoying. It beeps at you relentlessly at times, wanting you to apply pressure to the wheel, but then sometimes requiring so much pressure that it then de-activates the autopilot because it thinks you are manually taking over. I was also super frustrated for a long time at the incredibly loud volume of all the beeps and chimes. I spent a lot of time/effort searching how to lower their volume before I finally had to put my question out there on a web forum where thankfully someone responded and informed me that the only way to turn them down was by activating "Joe Mode." Who would have ever known what that was? The car certainly doesn't tell you. After wasting so much time researching this problem , I read it is Elon Musk's way of being "funny" after a guy named Joe made a complaint about the chimes being too loud. Seriously what a jerk off move by Musk to leave all of his customers clueless as to what it means and not explain anywhere or have any description pop up when you toggle Joe Mode on/off.
I actually fully agree with you on this. Its a big gripe of mine.
It also is really wack to me when companies have the ability to make certain basic functions available yet they withhold them and make you pay for it. Another example of this is that they could easily show traffic density on the map, but that's another thing they charge you for. This might not seem like a big deal until you drive straight into stand-still traffic on the highway when the car could have easily just shown you the dark red lines on the map so you could've avoided getting stuck in it. It's straight up disrespectful that they are OK with doing that to their customers.
Tesla has to pay a telcom company to keep your car connected.
'Traffic visualization' and 'lane change with turn signal' were features I was used to in my 2015 Model S that came with the vehicle. It was a surprise to me when I got my Model Y and they weren't included. The Model S also had smart air suspension so the drive wasn't as bad.
I mean you're comparing their flagship car to their entry level SUV
And whatever happened to bioweapon defense mode? I learned about it before I purchased my 2015 Model S, and discovered to my dismay that it did not have it. Then again I hoped with my 2020 Model Y I would have it. Air quality is a very important issue to me as I live in a densely populated area with a lot of car traffic and I can often smell the car exhaust surrounding me on the roads and it makes me frustrated with our world. Air filtration in a car seemed like a dream come true yet so simple and logical. But NOPE! My car does not have bioweapon defense mode and it seemingly does not filter anything! Just the other day a car in front of me had visible smoke coming out of the exhaust and I had to drive through it and it came right into my car cabin immediately and smack dab in my face! It was no longer a dark visible smoke at that point but I could instantly smell it, sense it, and tell I was breathing it in, I swear even saw it faintly. That was a new experience.
The ones made from mid-2021 on have HEPA filters
Instead of the clean air I hoped it would provide, this car does quite the opposite (again). The A/C has an absolutely horrible smell, where I absolutely have to open the windows for at times. It is like a dry gas that I can feel choking my throat and sticking to my teeth. Horrific sounding right? The A/C doesn't even get cold either. And when the A/C isn't running, the cabin air is still awful. It's as if some bad fumes are being leaked from something inside the car, or maybe it just captures and traps in all of the pollution from the outside world and leaves it in there, concentrated, at my expense. The in-car air quality is so bad that I can't stand having the windows up and being locked in there and I often have to roll the windows down just to get some "fresh" air even while driving in nasty, heavy traffic surrounded by other gas-powered cars exhaust. If I drive through secluded woods, even for just a few seconds, no matter how cold it is outside I HAVE to open the window to get fresh air.
This sounds again like a warranty issue that could be solved with an appointment.
Supercharging was supposed to improve, but it has not. It is completely the same, and takes much longer than advertised.
I cant say I've had a bad experience at a SC yet, all the ones I've been to charge at 150kW (or 250kW which only saves about 5min or so of time)
And everyone always comments on the sound it makes while reversing. I PRAY that that is the sound it HAS to make, and that Tesla didn't add that dumb spaceship sound to be extra, because that would be stupid and embarrassing.
Not sure when the PWS was added, but I thought it was in 2021.

Hydroplaning is your tires, replace them... its not the car

Door not aligned? Schedule an appointment and they'll fix it

The driver keeps the car safe, sensors are aids. You're still supposed to look where you're going

I actually fully agree with you on this. Its a big gripe of mine.

Tesla has to pay a telcom company to keep your car connected.

I mean you're comparing their flagship car to their entry level SUV

The ones made from mid-2021 on have HEPA filters

This sounds again like a warranty issue that could be solved with an appointment.

I cant say I've had a bad experience at a SC yet, all the ones I've been to charge at 150kW (or 250kW which only saves about 5min or so of time)

Not sure when the PWS was added, but I thought it was in 2021.
Early 2020 Model Y owner.
Wiper washers do suck. I heard the updated ones are better.

The wireless charging pad doesn’t line up well. I 3Dprinted a spacer that solved that issue. It’s a problem with big phones. The Model Y has always had wireless charging. It has nothing to do with the updated console, which also has wireless charging.

I agree with Supercharging speeds being fast. I stopped for a quick lunch at 15% and had to run back to the car to unplug at 85% before my food showed up. This was in the winter on a V2.

Also, September 2020 was when the PWS came in. I don’t have one, so no comment about that. I do wish I did, when I’m in parking lots and pedestrians jump in front of the car because they can’t hear it.

I was about to say that many of the things that are brought up are effectively problems, issues or at least annoyances. What makes it hard to accept here is that it's all bundled at once, like the person waited, accumulated frustration, never reached out anywhere to learn or make things better. There is mention that the process is annoying, that customer service is awful... That wouldn't stop me from getting help on a pricey car, either through them or through facebook groups and forums like this one. I think that's what we are most confused about, that a person would wait a year or more and then throw it all out there in a wall of text.

Some of the issues cannot be found out from the Tesla team. Like many other cars, the only way to learn about some annoyances is to read from reviews, listen to Youtube videos, test drives etc. We cannot blame Tesla for that.

Some issues are real problems, that many of us hate. Even then, there are some that can be solved (like tires).

Anyway, just my point of view.
Yep...some are real problems. Unusual hydroplaning though is, to be charitable about it, imaginary.

Maybe the tires that are delivered with the car aren't great... but that's an easy thing to change.
Yup - it certainly wouldn't be the only car with original tires of just average quality. I feel absolutely safe driving my MYLR, because I've got Hakka winter tires. My choice for the way I want to feel when driving.

Teslas are not luxury cars, so "great" anything isn't something an owner should expect in any area other than electric efficiency and range (it may not seem great when others catch up, but right now it's as great as you can get in those areas).

Reactions: MattM24
Early 2020 Model Y owner.
Wiper washers do suck. I heard the updated ones are better.

The wireless charging pad doesn’t line up well. I 3Dprinted a spacer that solved that issue. It’s a problem with big phones. The Model Y has always had wireless charging. It has nothing to do with the updated console, which also has wireless charging.

I agree with Supercharging speeds being fast. I stopped for a quick lunch at 15% and had to run back to the car to unplug at 85% before my food showed up. This was in the winter on a V2.

Also, September 2020 was when the PWS came in. I don’t have one, so no comment about that. I do wish I did, when I’m in parking lots and pedestrians jump in front of the car because they can’t hear it.
Thanks! Time to update my "changes" post

Reactions: MattM24
Good grief. Hope that was therapeutic. You hit every negative point I’ve ever read about teslas. Then you took everything that the model S had that the Y doesn’t, and presented those shortcomings as deal breakers. (Bio weapon defense … I’ve never heard anyone lament the loss of that).

I do think you could get out of your lease pretty easily. And even if it weren’t easy, the essay you just wrote tells me you need to ditch the car at any price. You are literally losing brain cells.

Did this person really write a War and Peace novel sized post and not even come back to check for the responses?
giphy.gif

Off spending that bonus check from Ford.
Someone works for ford here?
No wait,
1648134267987.png
100% agree, the moment someone talks back about the beloved Y, all the Kool aid drinkers jump in and bash because they can't take criticism. I feel like we're in a Honda civic forum.
Watch out for that Honda bump. It's real.
1648134438656.png

What's wrong with a civic. They're great cars.
1648135085738.png

Attachments

• 1648135011313.png
    1648135011313.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Wow that was a long post... It seems to me that you should get rid of the car.
I have a 2021 MYP and I find the ride nice and smooth, I really don't get it when people mention harsh ride, etc.
Now, I am coming from a 2000 C5 and then 2013 550 so those cars where not the "smoothest" rides around. Still, the MYP feels good to me 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Stuart Watson
100% agree, the moment someone talks back about the beloved Y, all the Kool aid drinkers jump in and bash because they can't take criticism. I feel like we're in a Honda civic forum.
If I agreed with his opinion I would not like the car either and I would sell it. Like he should do. Doesn’t make us kool aid drinkers. Not sure why you would disagree with that. If you hate reading posts from Tesla supporters this probably isn’t the best place for you. Goes the same for any product forum.

Anyone who has read my posts here (especially TACC / AP related) knows that I like to bitch and moan about things... but good lord!

Problem: Hydroplaning... Cause: worn out stock tires... Solution: buy new tires.
Problem: Wipers not clearing windshield... Cause: worn out stock wiper... Solution: buy new better than stock premium wipers.
Problem: Stiff suspension... Cause: 4,500 lb car with low cost performance suspension... Solution: buy new aftermarket comfort oriented suspension (they even have air suspension available!).
Problem: Smelly / non functional AC... Cause: I never had this so don't know... Solution: read the forum, I have seen numerous threads on both of these problems.
Problem: Passenger door not aligned... Cause: assembly problem... Solution: make a service center appointment.
Problem: Cabin wind noise Cause: poor sealing at doors or hatch... Solution: (in your case passenger door alignment) or add new foam seals, very inexpensive and easy to install.
Problem: car "yelling" at you... Cause: you have all the alerts turned on... Solution: turn them off. Unavoidable ones mitigated by Joe mode which I read about months before I purchased my car... not sure how anyone missed it.
Problem: Frozen door handles... Cause: Winter... Solution: Precondition on defrost mode (max heat on windows... there is a button in the app) for an hour before driving.
Problem: FSD... Cause: FSD doesn't really exist... Solution: Learn to distinguish PR from reality.
Problem: You don't like the car... Cause: you didn't research the car before purchase... Solution: sell the car.

Keith