Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Totaled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_8053.jpeg

Hi All,

Do you think my car will be totaled? If yes, does insurance pay for FSD?

Thanks

Did you hear back from adjuster yet? Will it be totaled or repaired?
No one has physically seen it yet. I just got the police report today which gives me the other party's info so I'll call their insurance later today after work and get the ball rolling. It needs to be towed ~130 miles so I probably won't have an official hands on car estimate or adjuster look at it until sometime next week... we'll see what comes from that, but so far the shop is setting it up as a repairable thing and ordering in the obvious parts if they don't have them on hand (such as the SRS for the drivers seat).

Edit: I'm not expert, but I think damages will likely need to be like 70% of the value... used with near the same miles were selling for about $58k from Tesla right before the price drop... 2021s instead of a 2022, but close enough likely. That would be somewhere around $40k. So far $15k from the collision shop, $1.4k for rental, possibly $3.6k for PPF... that puts us at $20k. I suspect at least a second month will be needed, so $21.5k roughly. Have no idea what a DV claim might be, but even if it's $10k that would only bring us to like $31k which still leaves wiggle room before getting close to total... I know things on the collision side can change fast, but I think right now we're still going down the path of repair.

Edit edit: Again, I'm actually leaning away from hoping it's totaled. While it might make my life easier in the short term (faster solution), even if they gave me $50k for it now after the price drop, a new one after tax would be $63,400... minus the $7500 tax credit leaves it at $56k. Add $6,300 for PPF and tint and I'm back at $62,215... I would be out of pocket $12k+. That's rough. I don't know if I could get a lawyer to help go after the cost of sales tax (~9%) in WA state as well to try and bring me closer to the "actual" value of replacing the vehicle with a similar car (same year/miles). Again, that $50k to buy a used one would actually be $54,500 after tax...

Last edited:
i was told on my model y that was totaled that they would only pay a 1000.00 on tint and paint protection.. does any one know how to get this covered if someone ever gets in this situation, im out about 5 k ;(

how are you being covered for paint protection and tint.. they told me only a $1000.00 would be covered

i was told on my model y that was totaled that they would only pay a 1000.00 on tint and paint protection.. does any one know how to get this covered if someone ever gets in this situation, im out about 5 k ;(

You need to have items which did not come with the factory installed with the vehicle installed endorsed on the auto insurance policy which will add some extra cost but will save you.

Since the accident had already happened, you cannot add it after the fact as it will not count but it will going forward. The best thing you could do is to contact the paint protection company and let them know the situation to see if they can offer you some kind of break so try to minimize the monetary impact.

A good recommendation is to enforce Xpel Stealth PPF (for those who have it) which is a worth a few thousand dollars.

Last edited:
Hi @acarney , can you please let me know if your car has been totaled or repaired.i had a similar accident for my 2023 model y.
It was repaired, I think about $39k if I recall. I also was successful in $9,000 in diminished value. Search my post history and you should see updates on it.

Runs and drives like new. Cosmetically, I wasn’t happy. Serious dirt under the clear coat (like 20+ spots on the hood), a very large (maybe pea sized) paint nib/drip on the drivers door. I would be furious if I didn’t have my matte paint protection film. The film covers 95% of the poor paint quality. I was worn down from the four months or so of repair work and having to shuffle my car from Spokane (the repair shops location) to Portland (the PPF installer) and back to my house in SE Washington.