Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla model Y will kill the crossover competition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With Toyota selling almost 35k RAV4s last month, the model Y has a long way to go before it gets to those kinds of numbers. Especially if we have to wait for a 500 mile range version to compete with the RAV4 hybrid vehicle. Let’s hope battery tech improves to that level soon.

Reactions: David99
More relevant will be the ID.5, depending on when and what quantity is available.
With the ID3 Hatchback announced in 2017, coming perhaps late next year, and the ID4 CUV coming the following year, I don’t see a threat to the Y launch. VW seems committed. Announces a lot, but has not delivered anything of significance. They did do the Etron through their Audi group, but it seems to be a disappointment.

Hopefully for Fords sake they will get the Mustang CUV or SUV to market quickly, followed up by the electric F150. Both could happen before the Id5

• Informative
Reactions: Az_Rael
I think the Model Y will be very competitive in the part, but being that more than 50% of all vehicles sold in the US are this type of vechile (various sizes and classes of course), I don't see them killing it. But, they will have a good size share of it in their size class.

I am by no means an expert or anyone with in-depth knowledge, but my observation is that people who will seriously consider switching over to EV will not consider Ford > Tesla if priced similar. Tesla has been building electric cars for years and is the current expert by FAR. Sure, Ford will likely put out a great car for the mass market and they are knowledgeable on how to scale production to generate profit but I don't think they have the knowledge and technology background to surpass the quality of Tesla battery power. Yes, they partnered with Rivian, and could possibly put out "Tesla killer" but...(waiting to be hated on) if Rivian technology is that advanced, why have they not put out quality vehicles when they established around same time as Tesla? Just some of my thoughts.

But isn't it great if we all move towards EV instead of attacking/bringing down 1 EV brand vs another? I am personally excited to see Ford, Nissan, Mazda, Volvo coming out with electric crossovers. I will love my model Y and will not care if model Y is killing the competition or trailing behind in sales because it is priced higher.

Reactions: Ciaopec
I am by no means an expert or anyone with in-depth knowledge, but my observation is that people who will seriously consider switching over to EV will not consider Ford > Tesla if priced similar. Tesla has been building electric cars for years and is the current expert by FAR. Sure, Ford will likely put out a great car for the mass market and they are knowledgeable on how to scale production to generate profit but I don't think they have the knowledge and technology background to surpass the quality of Tesla battery power. Yes, they partnered with Rivian, and could possibly put out "Tesla killer" but...(waiting to be hated on) if Rivian technology is that advanced, why have they not put out quality vehicles when they established around same time as Tesla? Just some of my thoughts.

But isn't it great if we all move towards EV instead of attacking/bringing down 1 EV brand vs another? I am personally excited to see Ford, Nissan, Mazda, Volvo coming out with electric crossovers. I will love my model Y and will not care if model Y is killing the competition or trailing behind in sales because it is priced higher.

Ford's market will be people comfortable with Ford vs what is still perceived by some as a gamble on a "new" company like Tesla. I still hear lots of comments from friends and coworkers wondering "if Tesla will survive the long haul". Folks like that will be much more comfortable jumping in with Ford despite the lack of EV history.

Overall I think Tesla needs serious competition, if only so they will be forced to fix their customer service woes. And I would be glad to see more folks who weren't comfortable with a "new" brand possibly jumping into EVs via Ford. Hopefully their car wont be a disappointment and has great specs.

Reactions: brucet999
Ford's market will be people comfortable with Ford vs what is still perceived by some as a gamble on a "new" company like Tesla. I still hear lots of comments from friends and coworkers wondering "if Tesla will survive the long haul". Folks like that will be much more comfortable jumping in with Ford despite the lack of EV history.

Overall I think Tesla needs serious competition, if only so they will be forced to fix their customer service woes. And I would be glad to see more folks who weren't comfortable with a "new" brand possibly jumping into EVs via Ford. Hopefully their car wont be a disappointment and has great specs.

Good point. I've driven Toyota since teenage years and considered Prius prime before Tesla. I think I would have given Toyota a serious thought if they have a fully battery powered vehicle. I also feel if people are fully educated on battery technology, they wouldn't consider anyone but Tesla in 2019 or 2020. I'm not a Tesla fan boy yet as I've never owned or driven one YET, but the information I gathered showed promise and I'm sure I'll be a big fan soon when model Y starts being delivered. Hopefully in 5 years everyone are on similar playing field and EV gets better and better.

Good point. I've driven Toyota since teenage years and considered Prius prime before Tesla. I think I would have given Toyota a serious thought if they have a fully battery powered vehicle. I also feel if people are fully educated on battery technology, they wouldn't consider anyone but Tesla in 2019 or 2020. I'm not a Tesla fan boy yet as I've never owned or driven one YET, but the information I gathered showed promise and I'm sure I'll be a big fan soon when model Y starts being delivered. Hopefully in 5 years everyone are on similar playing field and EV gets better and better.

Oh, if Lexus made a long range EV I would be gone from Tesla in a heartbeat. But that doesn't seem to be their direction right now. I think they have picked the wrong path, honestly.

Reactions: Ciaopec and David99
With Toyota selling almost 35k RAV4s last month, the model Y has a long way to go before it gets to those kinds of numbers. Especially if we have to wait for a 500 mile range version to compete with the RAV4 hybrid vehicle. Let’s hope battery tech improves to that level soon.
As has been documented over and over here, a 500 mile range is completely unnecessary and incredibly expensive. Just nonsense.

Dan

Reactions: Ciaopec and msee67