Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla model Y will kill the crossover competition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok it seems you want some sort of phone integration with the car's UI.

But like you I switch cars all the time including for work sometimes & my lifeline is my phone, so working off my phone & all the navigation & communication apps provides me with more options that I never even think of replicating the screen onto a car's screen.

Too much hassle. Plus my phone's screen is big enough to not have to worry that I would lose anything.

I guess this is one of those nothing burgers.

Kinda like when people whine about Apple's Homekit never being integrated with various smart home devices & I'm scratching my head thinking, my home is darn smart as is with Google or Alexa....

With Android Auto and Apple Carplay, the point is that you don't need to touch your phone as it makes the nav screen an extension of your phone. Now, I constantly have to pick up my phone in my Tesla to pick podcasts, use Waze etc. On all other brands, the phone stays out of my hand.

With Android Auto and Apple Carplay, the point is that you don't need to touch your phone as it makes the nav screen an extension of your phone. Now, I constantly have to pick up my phone in my Tesla to pick podcasts, use Waze etc. On all other brands, the phone stays out of my hand.

Fortunately, I don't have that problem as I just tell Google to do what I need to on my Pixel.

& I mount the phone right behind the steering wheel opening so literally I don't take my eyes off the road to fool with any interface whether on the car's UI or phone's UI.

Didn't use AA when I was in an ICE & definitely not in my Tesla.
Some habits are better left alone.

That is a really good way of putting it. I would also like a tighter integration with what is on my phone. We recently rented a Dodge Caravan for a road trip, and only being able to stream music via bluetooth, no car play, no android auto, was just a horrible experience. That said, it won't deter me from buying a Tesla. There are trade offs, I would love a heads up display, but I doubt Tesla will ever have one, as why do you need to know how fast you are going if the car is driving itself. So I will live with the built in music streaming. My lifestyle doesn't require that I know where I am going via my phone, so not that big of a sacrifice. If you do depend on your phone for that, then absolutely support one of the other manufacturers bringing over BEVs.
About the audio, did you try the Stream menu, it provides a great variety of music. I was only using the FM but there was a lot of parasitic noise while driving. While with the Streaming the quality is great. Like if I was at home in my living room.

I mount the phone right behind the steering wheel opening so literally I don't take my eyes off the road to fool with any interface whether on the car's UI or phone's UI.
Yes it's a good spot, I was thinking to add an extra display for a rear view mirror, I don't like to lose the rear camera everytime I look at the map or the audio.
I just hope you don't try to touch the screen of your phone through the sterring wheel while driving...

The Model Y has the advantage on the Mach-E on almost every aspect, except one.....incentives. Eventually Ford will offer steep discounts on this Mach-E when it doesnt sell and that is when some of us will jump on a GT variant for $50k.

Reactions: Reeler
The auto manufacturers should work together to develop an universal super Charger standard. For now, each one has to build their own supercharging network. this severely impact the adoption of EV. Ford Match-E is great. but Ford's super charging network is not.

If it's standardized, the charge stations can be deployed quickly and widely.

The auto manufacturers should work together to develop an universal super Charger standard. For now, each one has to build their own supercharging network. this severely impact the adoption of EV. Ford Match-E is great. but Ford's super charging network is not.

If it's standardized, the charge stations can be deployed quickly and widely.
Hmm... Maybe like J1772 or CCS type 1 and Type 2?

Surprised that Ford released a blatant copy of the Model Y technology. Skate board LiIon battery, one or two motors, long and standard range power, hatch back, large center display, two performance versions, even the nose cone design of the earlier Model S.

Expected more from Ford. Some kind of advancement of the art.

• Funny
Reactions: EchoDelta
it will take some time for the comp.to have products as good as the y/3 but they will get there and tesla will have improved enough to still be better. Until tesla gets 2 big to b able to quickly redesign/update they should stay 1-2 steps ahead

We have forgiven Tesla for a bad product for quite some time. No heated steering wheel, proprietary nav (no Carplay/Auto support), no heat pump, few ordering options, shoddy quality control, bad delivery experience, funky service experience, long delays in bodywork, etc. Competition will be good for Tesla as they will not be the only good option in town with Ford, VW and others bringing in true competition for affordable AWD EVs. I would consider a Model Y if they addressed these issues, but I bet Tesla's arrogance will blind it to actual customer feedback.

reeler

I entirely disagree with everything you said. imho tesla make the greatest automobile products on the market. I don't want a heated steering wheel. I never even use heated seats (yes i've lived in cold climes), I've had in other cars but don't want sat radio or a motorized trunk lid or an hud. i'm entirely satisfied with the tesla navigation software and the lack of apple/android in my cars is a big plus. I've see no significant quality control issues, both of my m3s have been and remain in perfect condition (the oldest is vin 32xxx) after 26000 miles. I had great delivery experiences and great experiences with my only 2 very minor service needs. I loved ordering on-line; no issues for me with the ordering options. I most love not having to have any contact with an auto dealer before or after my purchases. I admire the fact that tesla continuously improves their products after release. imo that is the absolute opposite of arrogance.

We have forgiven Tesla for a bad product for quite some time. No heated steering wheel, proprietary nav (no Carplay/Auto support), no heat pump, few ordering options, shoddy quality control, bad delivery experience, funky service experience, long delays in bodywork, etc. Competition will be good for Tesla as they will not be the only good option in town with Ford, VW and others bringing in true competition for affordable AWD EVs. I would consider a Model Y if they addressed these issues, but I bet Tesla's arrogance will blind it to actual customer feedback.

The recent Bloomberg survey found 99% of Model 3 owners would recommend them to friends and family, 98% would buy again and 97.5% said the Model 3 was as reliable or more reliable than their previous cars. Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Great to have concrete evidence of what has been obvious all along -- the critics are very loud but a tiny minority.

There is every reason to expect Model Y owners to be as pleased with their cars as Model 3 owners.

EJMQaSzWwAEaiKK

Surprised that Ford released a blatant copy of the Model Y technology. Skate board LiIon battery, one or two motors, long and standard range power, hatch back, large center display, two performance versions, even the nose cone design of the earlier Model S.

Expected more from Ford. Some kind of advancement of the art.
Ford has a 500 million dollar investment in the new Rivian electric pickup and SUV's. The platform came from Rivian with the software and hardware developed by Ford.

Ford has a 500 million dollar investment in the new Rivian electric pickup and SUV's. The platform came from Rivian with the software and hardware developed by Ford.

Good dynamic duo. Tesla has enjoyed no competition for far too long. The Model Y has a minimalist design and looks just plain boring. Same outline of the X and 3 that is dead on arrival. Couple that with high prices (no rebate) and all the other issues . . .

The Model Y is not going to kill off anything. All the competition from mature car brands will likely give Tesla issues.

The Model Y is not going to kill off anything. All the competition from mature car brands will likely give Tesla issues.
You are forgetting that most people like to travel, the sheer number of superchargers will keep the Y far ahead of the pack for the foreseeable future, when the competing infrastructure is mature then I agree that the competition will sell better but I still don't see them building a better EV as Tesla's battery, battery management and brand will still be looked at as a premium to others in a similar price range even if their interior is considered inferior to some.

I personally find the 3's interior to be fine, seats are comfortable and I like the minimalist design even if they could have used better materials I am satisfied and consider this my favorite car by a large margin over pricier "Mature" European sedans I have owned in the past but this is just my opinion