Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Windows Shatters on its Own

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do people immediately doubt people with issues? I mean I guess it could be made up, but it seems to be the default response when it comes to Tesla. Way more than any other brand I can think of. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to doctor the video, but it's pretty clear something is happening with the back window right at the time the sound is heard.

Also “this is what you get when you buy a Tesla” is exactly the type of thing I could see myself thinking if not outright saying if this happened to me. I feel like that's a pretty common phrase from my neck of the woods. I mean usually it's said in the form of a question like "This is what I get when I buy a $2,000 folding phone?"

Anyone have this issue with their Tesla?

Bought it in March, 1500 Miles, and the rear passenger window spontaneously shatters

We live in LA, its 70 degrees out. The car was sitting in the garage for 24 hours...

Is this common!?!?!

I posted some pictures and a video here

What is that sound before it shatters? It goes away after it breaks.
Kind of sounds like a cricket, but a high frequency sound can shatter a window.

Why do people immediately doubt people with issues? I mean I guess it could be made up, but it seems to be the default response when it comes to Tesla. Way more than any other brand I can think of. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to doctor the video, but it's pretty clear something is happening with the back window right at the time the sound is heard.

Also “this is what you get when you buy a Tesla” is exactly the type of thing I could see myself thinking if not outright saying if this happened to me. I feel like that's a pretty common phrase from my neck of the woods. I mean usually it's said in the form of a question like "This is what I get when I buy a $2,000 folding phone?"

Teslas definitely have some issues and there are plenty of valid complaints. There are also trolls both paid and otherwise attempting to damage Tesla's reputation. So it's always a question when a new person posts something like this. His comments aren't phrased like a question; that I could understand. Also, his spoken comments do not gybe with his written comments. Another issue, watch the video very closely. I did, trying to look through the windshield to see if I could see something happen to the right rear window. Immediately prior to the sound of the window breaking, there are subtle artifacts on the Y's windshield and on the floor. That's something that could happen during video editing, like adding sound effects. There is absolutely no visual evidence of what happened. This is the only video the guy has uploaded to YouTube. So yeah, my FUD alerts are going off. Nothing conclusive, but when you add it all together...

but it's pretty clear something is happening with the back window right at the time the sound is heard.
I've put this on a big screen and played it a couple of dozen times. There is no indication anything is happening to the back window. I'm not saying that's definitive, I'm not sure you would see anything given the lighting. I think what you're seeing are the artifacts in the windshield, but those same artifacts are visible in other places--look at the floor--at precisely the same time. And again after the sound. Kind of just like someone edited the video to add sound effects. Certainly there's nothing definitive, but add it all up and it's suspicious at the very least.

If it's not FUD, it's still awfully snarky. If it's real, Tesla will fix it under warranty. The sad fact of life is all cars have issues, and the guy sounds old enough to have figured that out by now. If Tesla had denied warranty coverage I could understand his feelings. Without the comment, I could have commiserated with him. But the snotty "Good luck to you" combined with all of the other warning flags eliminate any sympathy I might have had and any trust that he's being truthful. If it is true, with his attitude and snottiness, good luck to him. Because this isn't "what happens when you buy a Tesla." This is unfortunately what happens to some buyers of any car. *sugar* happens, that's what warranties are for.

EDITED TO ADD: I studied the video a bit more. Watch for artifacts just as the added "Turn Volume Up" drops out of sight. IMHO that confirms that the editing program he used to add the "Turn volume up" adds artifacts at editing points identical to the ones seen just prior to the sound of the "window breaking". Again that doesn't prove anything, but it does beg the question "what was edited at that point?"

Last edited:
Why do people immediately doubt people with issues? I mean I guess it could be made up, but it seems to be the default response when it comes to Tesla.

Two posts about the same thing made by posters with zero posts???

tesla has plenty of issues and at least one of them is that for whatever reason people are hostile toward Tesla and want discredit them. I’m not saying 100 percent, but my spidy sense is tingling here.

EDITED TO ADD: I studied the video a bit more. Watch for artifacts just as the added "Turn Volume Up" drops out of sight.
IMHO that confirms that the editing program he used to add the "Turn volume up" adds artifacts at editing points
identical to the ones seen just prior to the sound of the "window breaking".

Again that doesn't prove anything, but it does beg the question "what was edited at that point?"
I agree, I'd like to watch and listen to the non edited videos, in particular if there was not already glass on the floor.

Two posts about the same thing made by posters with zero posts???

tesla has plenty of issues and at least one of them is that for whatever reason people are hostile toward Tesla
and want discredit them. I’m not saying 100 percent, but my spidy sense is tingling here.
This is just a fake posting from a one post new user, idem about the YouTube account:

2020-M0DEL-Y New Member from Los Angeles

Last edited:
Let me just say its nice to see the overwhelming response. This incident is 100% true. I dont usually post anything online so I get it, new account, no videos, etc...

This isn't my first rodeo. I have an S I bought 8 years ago. I have an X i bought 3 years ago. I have a Y I bought earlier this year, and I have a pre-order for the CT. Ive spent more time in the service center than I have diving the cars...

Some are saying the video was doctored / edited. The entire Nest footage is here

Window shatter

Let me just say its nice to see the overwhelming response. This incident is 100% true. I dont usually post anything online so I get it, new account, no videos, etc...

This isn't my first rodeo. I have an S I bought 8 years ago. I have an X i bought 3 years ago. I have a Y I bought earlier this year, and I have a pre-order for the CT. Ive spent more time in the service center than I have diving the cars...

Some are saying the video was doctored / edited. The entire Nest footage is here

Window shatter
Why buy all these Tesla's of Tesla, according to the comment in your video, has done so poorly? Based on this message, you have almost 300K (or more) worth of Tesla's.

I don't doubt this happened, it wouldn't be the first time a car window shattered for no apparent reason (although there is always a reason). I don't think my reaction would be 'This what you get when you buy a Tesla' especially since the OP has 2 others and didn't indicate that the same thing happened with either of the others.

Not attacking or defending here, just commenting.

He was trying to recreate this look obviously:

768BCBBC-5E67-4AE7-8E21-3B82BE2EDF50.jpeg