Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Windows Shatters on its Own

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me just say its nice to see the overwhelming response. This incident is 100% true. I dont usually post anything online so I get it, new account, no videos, etc...

This isn't my first rodeo. I have an S I bought 8 years ago. I have an X i bought 3 years ago. I have a Y I bought earlier this year, and I have a pre-order for the CT. Ive spent more time in the service center than I have diving the cars...

Some are saying the video was doctored / edited. The entire Nest footage is here

Window shatter
Odd you still have a CT on order given your statement "this is what you get with a Tesla. For what it's worth."

Are you a masochist?

• Disagree
Reactions: HarleyW and Reborn
Let me just say its nice to see the overwhelming response. This incident is 100% true. I dont usually post anything online so I get it, new account, no videos, etc...

This isn't my first rodeo. I have an S I bought 8 years ago. I have an X i bought 3 years ago. I have a Y I bought earlier this year, and I have a pre-order for the CT. Ive spent more time in the service center than I have diving the cars...

Some are saying the video was doctored / edited. The entire Nest footage is here

Window shatter

If you've had these kinds of issues with all three of the Teslas that you've bought, maybe the problem is on your end (lol).

More seriously, what did the service center say?

Could that high-pitched sound be a window motor trying to keep putting the window up? Thereby causing a constant stress on the window.
This is actually a pretty good theory. Unlike most of the drivel going on in this thread...

But, in the longer version he posted you can hear the sound (crickets that were scared s***less, I presume) come back at the end. You can also hear some glass falling onto the floor a few seconds after the initial break.

Last edited:
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
IMHO that confirms that the editing program he used to add the "Turn volume up" adds artifacts at editing points

Editing points don't "add artifacts." Artifacts are caused by compression algorithms, and when the whole screen "jumps" it's usually an indication that it's hitting a keyframe, where it cleans up any unruly pixels.

If you watch the longer version he posted you can also see it happens at a pretty consistent basis without any titles or whatnot.

Reactions: kevin1
Could that high-pitched sound be a window motor trying to keep putting the window up? Thereby causing a constant stress on the window.

My argument still stands.

Cameras is set to record only on sound or motion events. If this was a spontaneous event, then the chances of getting the camera to record nominally is slim to none.

The only reason the camera was recording was that there was an event of some type prior to the window breaking if the video is authentic.

I ask again, what was the trigger for the cameras to record?

I would love to see the whole library of camera videos from 20-30 mins prior and after.

Not saying it's the case but it's very plausible that the camera footage could be prepped in a manner to manipulate the situation.

My advice to OP.
The window itself is under $500 with material and labor, just pay it, and move forward with your life.

If there any other concerns, then it might be best to sell the Y and get an Audi/BMW as those are super reliable(my attempt at sarcasm).

My argument still stands.

Cameras is set to record only on sound or motion events.

So what part of the sound of a glass breaking don't you think qualifies as a "sound"? You can even hear small glass particles fall to the ground a few seconds after the initial break sound (which admittedly sounds weird, but that's probably because the mic on the cam is dynamic and it was dead quiet, except for literal crickets, until the break).

• Informative
Reactions: jsight
So what part of the sound of a glass breaking don't you think qualifies as a "sound"? You can even hear small glass particles fall to the ground a few seconds after the initial break sound (which admittedly sounds weird, but that's probably because the mic on the cam is dynamic and it was dead quiet, except for literal crickets, until the break).
I think the point he's trying to make is that Nest cameras don't record video until the sound event. So the few seconds of video prior to the sound shouldn't have been recorded. However, perhaps newer nest cameras that are powered via 120 continuously record? The ones I had did not, but perhaps this one could.

Any security camera/system that is worth a grain of salt should have a RAM buffer with the last XX minutes of video that can be saved when there is any event that triggers it. If it doesn't, then it should it should not be called a security camera. By the time the noise triggers the capture of video, all the important info could be lost. Your Tesla will keep up to the last 10 minutes spooled up in memory, and ready to save if you hit record or have a sentry event, so you can see what was going on before the actual event. I'd be surprised if a Nest security did not have the same feature, perhaps not as far back, but at least some amount of time before the actual event...

Any security camera/system that is worth a grain of salt should have a RAM buffer with the last XX minutes of video that can be saved when there is any event that triggers it. If it doesn't, then it should it should not be called a security camera. By the time the noise triggers the capture of video, all the important info could be lost. Your Tesla will keep up to the last 10 minutes spooled up in memory, and ready to save if you hit record or have a sentry event, so you can see what was going on before the actual event. I'd be surprised if a Nest security did not have the same feature, perhaps not as far back, but at least some amount of time before the actual event...
Many of these new battery powered cameras do not record video at all until a sound or motion event triggers them to record. This saves battery power; if they were recording all the time the battery dies very quickly. So in that case, there is no video to buffer. Recording would start at the moment the glass broke. Now, it's entirely possible that this Nest camera is being powered by 120, in which case it might be recording continuously and the sound would trigger it to save the clip with some amount of video prior to the trigger. It should be exceedingly easy to answer, download an owners manual and see what it says.

BTW, the majority of "security cameras--even powered by 120--I looked at on Amazon did not include any ability to save video prior to the trigger event. I bought an earlier Nest, it did not either. Newer ones perhaps do.

I posted this earlier in the thread, but here is the complete NEST footage. Not just the few seconds i clipped out

Window shatter

Reactions: angus[Y]oung