Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Windshield Tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had any issues tinting the windshield on the model Y? I have been reading up on older posts about the model 3 and how tinting the windshield can cause electrical damage. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

I am on my third tinted windshield. First one ended up with a large bubble right in my sightline. Gave it a couple of weeks to dissolve and it never did. Had them reinstall and on the second tint, the windshield gave a very distorted view (didn't have this issue with the first tint). Had all my other windows tinted and was very happy with the result (3M). Shop tried a different brand (name is escaping me) for the third attempt and I am happy now. I have seen a couple of different threads on the "distorted/hazy" view that can happen. Strange how I didn't have this issue on the first, but did on the second. It was immediately noticable,

Got my windshield tinted with the lunenix double cermanic 80%, no issues here. There’s a slight line if you catch it at the wrong angle but not anything that is in my field of vision. It makes a huge difference here in Arizona

Reactions: elindley01
Mine has been tinted (70% Xpel ceramic) for a couple of months now. No issues other than minor rainbow effect with polarized glasses. TBH I hate the idea of any tint on the windshield, but the Y's windshield lets in a ton of heat.

Here is a test you can do to tell which part of the car needs tinting. Park under the sun for 5 minutes. Then touch the surface right below the glass where the sun hits. If it is hot that glass needs tinting, if not it does not.
I tested my model Y, only front windows and windshield lets heat in. Nothing else needs tinting.
I would not let a dude in a random shop to work on my windshield with so many sensors and electronics around it.
So I only tinted front windows.
Don't let tint shops fool you into tinting the rest of the car.

Reactions: JonB65
Here is a test you can do to tell which part of the car needs tinting. Park under the sun for 5 minutes. Then touch the surface right below the glass where the sun hits. If it is hot that glass needs tinting, if not it does not.
I tested my model Y, only front windows and windshield lets heat in. Nothing else needs tinting.
I would not let a dude in a random shop to work on my windshield with so many sensors and electronics around it.
So I only tinted front windows.
Don't let tint shops fool you into tinting the rest of the car.
I agreed 100% with you. I only tinted the front windows with CTX 30%

Last edited:
Reactions: Baybay408