Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y - winter tires and wheels in the GTA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking for 19" winter tires for a Model Y. I was hopeful to get either Nokian Hakke R3s or Michelin X-ICE or Alpins. Thus far, they're out of stock locally and don't seem to have a line as to the next possible availability (KalTire, Go Tire, and Active Green and Ross). Looking for someplace in the western part of Toronto who can also do the required servicing as some places refuse to service tires that they don't sell. Servicing is part of the deal for me as online can't do it when it comes to balancing wheels after the purchase. I'm considering just mounting the winters on the existing rims, then putting the all-seasons on new rims before spring.

Any recommendations? Been at this now for a couple of days without luck.

I'm looking for 19" winter tires for a Model Y. I was hopeful to get either Nokian Hakke R3s or Michelin X-ICE or Alpins. Thus far, they're out of stock locally and don't seem to have a line as to the next possible availability (KalTire, Go Tire, and Active Green and Ross). Looking for someplace in the western part of Toronto who can also do the required servicing as some places refuse to service tires that they don't sell. Servicing is part of the deal for me as online can't do it when it comes to balancing wheels after the purchase. I'm considering just mounting the winters on the existing rims, then putting the all-seasons on new rims before spring.

Any recommendations? Been at this now for a couple of days without luck.
Have you considered joining Tesla Owners Club – Ontario
Email me and I can discuss and also offer recommendations
[email protected]
John

Almost anywhere will mount your tires if you come in for a "winter tire changeover". It's a completely normal thing, in my view. I've previously bought used tires, tires from PMCTire, etc, and have never been turned away.

Yeah unfortunately Hakka R3s and X-Ice inventory sold out pretty early this year. I’ve heard stories as early as September of stock being depleted.

I’m going to assume the limited supple is due to Covid.
Get the Hakka 9. Definitely best winter tires tested and not even close, at least available in Canada, if not in the world. Kal tire has them. Get studs if legal in your area.
Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 SUV test and review of the winter tyre | AllTyreTests.com
Enter Hakka 9 – The 2017 NAF Winter Tire Test | Saskatchewan Studded Tire Club

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
Get the Hakka 9. Definitely best winter tires tested and not even close, at least available in Canada, if not in the world. Kal tire has them. Get studs if legal in your area.
Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 SUV test and review of the winter tyre | AllTyreTests.com
Enter Hakka 9 – The 2017 NAF Winter Tire Test | Saskatchewan Studded Tire Club

Yeah, but unfortunately, around Toronto I don't think we're allowed to have spiked tires - northern Ontario is fine, just not in the south.

Yeah unfortunately Hakka R3s and X-Ice inventory sold out pretty early this year. I’ve heard stories as early as September of stock being depleted.

I’m going to assume the limited supple is due to Covid.

I'm seeing delays into January. I'm mulling over options - whether to pre-order then sort out the mounting and such after the fact.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Same issue here in Van. No Hakka R3s and X-Ice 19inch model Y snow tires. I went to Costco, Kal, Canadian Tire and a couple of Canadian Online shop...none. I ended up going to Tire Rack and got X-Ice Snow. We got a call from Tire Rack warehouse saying original delivery date is delayed another week.

• Informative
Any grief from KalTire for bringing in your own tires? Active Green and Ross won't do squat unless they sell you at least the tires.
The opposite. When I bought my Yokohama Avid Ascent GTs, Kal said they couldn’t get them for 3 weeks and when I told them Tires23 could get them for the next day (at $15 less per tire) the manager at Kal told me to buy them at Tires23 and said “not sure how they are able to get them and we can’t”.

Active Green and Ross won't do squat unless they sell you at least the tires.
Active Green and Ross are crooks. They always try to rip you off. I was using them a few years ago and eventually got fed up and never went back. My last visit they tried to tell me that a perfectly fine transmission (verified by two other mechanics) was on the brinks of failure and needed a $3,000 replacement. Someone in my family had a similar experience - went in for an oil change and was told $2k of repairs were necessary (dealer said everything was fine). Don't go there if you value your money.

• Informative
The Kal Tire here in Waterloo had no qualms whatsoever when I booked an appointment with them this summer to bring my M3 in, have the tires removed from my OEM Aero 18" wheels and installed on rims that I had previously purchased online from Wheelwiz.ca. They happily booked the appointment and did the work even though I didn't buy any of the components involved from them.

I can't claim that this would hold true for all Kal Tire stores in Ontario but I was definitely treated well at the Waterloo store.

While I was waiting for them to complete the work above, I ended up ordering a set of Nokians and had them installed on the OEM aeros. Reading threads like this one reporting that they're hard to find now makes me very glad that I did.

Well, in the end I went with SpenceTires. I got what tires I wanted (last set in stock), they did a good job, nice rims for the summer.

Also to note, I heard Tesla will be putting out Winter Packages for the Y next week some point - I would assume they've got a stockpile sitting around given that virtually everywhere certain winter tires are backordered now (specifically Michelins, Nokian). No exact date given, but check daily if you can.

Well, in the end I went with SpenceTires. I got what tires I wanted (last set in stock), they did a good job, nice rims for the summer.

Also to note, I heard Tesla will be putting out Winter Packages for the Y next week some point - I would assume they've got a stockpile sitting around given that virtually everywhere certain winter tires are backordered now (specifically Michelins, Nokian). No exact date given, but check daily if you can.
Did you get the R241/Alpin PA4 package? Any comments on look, drive feel?
I'm scheduled with them for install next Thursday.