Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla ModeModel 3 vs. Chevy Bolt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stopping on regenerative braking alone isn't just about time and distance, it's about control. With a Bolt at low speeds, I can modulate the regenerative braking force across a wide range of strengths. I can stop slower or faster as desired. With the Model 3, I don't have that option. It is going to be slow. If I don't start stopping in time, or misjudge where a car in front of me is going to stop, my only means of correction is the friction brakes. That's just the way the Model 3 works. With the Model 3, a regenerative stop isn't just a slow stop, it is an uncontrolled stop: it's gonna do what it's gonna do. If you've taught yourself to (mostly) stop that way, that's fine. I got no beef with you.

????

"Using the brake" and putting your foot on the pedal are two different things. I move it towards there "just in case".

Yup, where-as I'm finding so far that Model 3 regen in fine for any corner without a need for the equivalent to "paddle cheat". Pretty sure this is chalked up to far superior cornering.
Not really a "cheat"...I dont like rounding the corner at a high speed...but I do approach it rather quickly...so depressing the paddle and feathering the accell....bleeds off enough speed so that corner speed is to my liking.

I wouldn't advise that, seeing how the Bolt only has 4 star crash ratings for frontal and side impact. For your family's sake, if you have access to a Model 3, please drive them around in a Model 3.
screen-shot-2017-06-20-at-10-34-54-am.png

The Bolt is a pretty safe car. I'm comfortable with its safety. It compares favorably, for example, with a Tesla Model S in the IIHS tests (the Model 3 IIHS tests for the Model 3 are not all in yet):

two-all-electric-cars-fall-short-of-earning-an-iihs-safety-award_2.jpg

The Bolt is a pretty safe car. I'm comfortable with its safety. It compares favorably, for example, with a Tesla Model S in the IIHS tests (the Model 3 IIHS tests for the Model 3 are not all in yet):

From NHTSA tests, Bolt only has 4 star ratings for front passenger side for frontal crash, and 4 stars for rear passenger for side crash.

You are telling me you are happy to put your family in this:

v10318P072.jpg

v10313P104.jpg

I get people choosing to drive the Bolt when they can't afford a Model 3, or you drive a Bolt when you are by yourself. Yes Bolt has good qualities, but let's not pretend Bolt is even on the same level playing field as the Model 3. I don't know how anybody can feel good about driving their families around in a Bolt when they have access to a Model 3.

But sure, let's go back to talk about how great the Bolt is over Model 3 due to its superior one-pedal driving system.

Reactions: RyanT and Don TLR
I seldom choose to respond to every point someone else makes in a discussion. Doing so tends to create expanding posts where each reply is longer than the one that precedes it. Generally, I pick a point to which I think I have the most interesting thing to say and just reply to that one. And I think lots of people do that sort of thing. So, in general, assuming that when someone doesn't reply to a point, that the reason is because they don't have an answer is ill-advised.

Stopping on regenerative braking alone isn't just about time and distance, it's about control. With a Bolt at low speeds, I can modulate the regenerative braking force across a wide range of strengths. I can stop slower or faster as desired. With the Model 3, I don't have that option. It is going to be slow. If I don't start stopping in time, or misjudge where a car in front of me is going to stop, my only means of correction is the friction brakes. That's just the way the Model 3 works. With the Model 3, a regenerative stop isn't just a slow stop, it is an uncontrolled stop: it's gonna do what it's gonna do. If you've taught yourself to (mostly) stop that way, that's fine. I got no beef with you.
I have driven both and fully agree with the bolt having superior regen braking. Some people I talk to about the paddle think it's stupid, (you mean there's one more thing I need to learn to use to drive?), but once you learn to regen brake in an EV it only makes sense to have a way to adjust the regen brake on the fly, and to apply hard regen when you know your going to stop.

I also really like the hatchback style cargo space and android auto.

Picking a decent non black color isn't going to cost 1000's of dollars, and it does not come with rims that have plastic hubcaps.

360 camera was nifty, as is the full rear-view screen in the mirror.

Other than that, EVERYTHING is better about the model 3.

The drivers seat is tiny on the bolt, I almost bought one when I thought the tax credit was going away, but the seats really turned me off. Not acceptable for the price of this car.