Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As somebody who was recently a teenager I respectfully disagree. Autopilots are helpful and help make things safer, but I like driving myself! Having the option is always nice.
As somebody who was a recent teenager (I use the term recent liberally here ;)), I like driving. But looking at the current generation of teenagers (i.e. relatives of mine) - most are not very eager to get driver licenses and/or cars.

If this pattern continues, once full autonomy comes out and becomes mainstream (I would guess a lot more than 10 years), I fully expect the majority of teens of the future to embrace being driven vs. learning to drive.

Reactions: caddieo
As somebody who was a recent teenager (I use the term recent liberally here ;)), I like driving. But looking at the current generation of teenagers (i.e. relatives of mine) - most are not very eager to get driver licenses and/or cars.
As the parent of a 17-year-old, I've observed this same trend among my son's peers. I fully acknowledge my dinosaur status and say:
"I don't get it". I'll double down on that curmudgeonliness and say "it's because they've always got their noses in their damn phones so
they have no interest in actually going anywhere or doing anything". ;) [but only sorta]

Hopefully we will have fully autonomous cars by then and teenagers will be required to use them.

Agree with you MS. As a start, drivers ed will probably be a virtual reality headset before too long. Then we've got GOOG's stated goal of current 10 year olds not needing driver licenses at all.......and perhaps not even wanting one. As a parent, I'll go to the ends of the earth to protect my kids and personally love the transformation despite my affection for America's historic car culture.

Reactions: msnow
There has to be a syntax deduction in there somewhere for taking a noun, making it an adverb, then making it a noun again. Maybe:
"I'll double down on being a curmudgeon....." :)
Well, if we're going to be pedantic here, "curmudgeonly", in this context, is an adjective, not an adverb (despite the misleading -ly suffix).
And, since I was referring to a specific instance of being curmudgeonly, the referent of the newly-constructed noun is not quite the same
as the root noun. English, ain't she wonderful? :)

Today I went to the UTC mall in San Diego, and parked the Roadster just opposite the Tesla area (4 Xs, 4 Ss were there). It was just karma to find a spot in an otherwise crowded parking lot. On my way back out, near closing time, as I always do, I popped my head into the Tesla store just to say hello. As soon as I walked into the store, which was otherwise empty, the only employee on duty came running up to say thanks for parking the Roadster there! My green model-S t-shirt must have been a bit of a giveaway.

Reactions: Tree95 and PtG62901
I was at the West Yellowstone Super Charger, yesterday when another Model S backed in and plugged in. The next thing I saw was the mother opened the Frunk, laid her baby down inside and did a diaper change. The whole time, another mom in an ICE car, with a baby strapped on her chest, was standing about 30 feet away, with her mouth open. Imagine seeing someone putting their baby in the engine compartment of a car, as though she thought the air filter cover or the 300 degree engine block was the perfect place for the diaper change. The Tesla Mom then casually pulled the baby out of the frunk, handed it to her husband, closed the frunk while the other woman, shook her head in disbelief. Ignorant of the true nature of the frunk, this other mother was totally baffled and almost ready to call Dept. of family services!

I don't know what emoticon to put on this one?!? I ended up with funny, but all the positive ones apply!!

Reactions: DrGuest
This little blurb illustrates the range of people who are "nuts" about Tesla. Not long after I got my Model S in mid-2013, I was stopped at a red light on a street that has 4 lanes of traffic in each direction. Trudging along the crosswalk was a lady, pushing a stroller, holding hands with a young girl, with a sack of groceries balanced somehow on the stroller. Following her was an 8 or 9 year old boy who looked over, saw the Tesla and immediately began jumping up and down and yelling to his mother, "it's a Tesla, it's a Tesla!" She glanced in my direction, but I'm sure she never saw the car, nor anything else, as her goal was to get everybody out of the traffic pattern. I'm sure she told him to hurry along. He stopped jumping, started following his mother again, and gave me a big thumbs up, which I returned.

About 2 months ago I stopped at a local Village Inn to have breakfast. As the hostess sat us at our table, she asked if I was the one driving the Tesla. Usual questions, how do you like it, where do you plug it in, can you road trip it? After the hostess left, an elderly lady sitting at the next table, asked if I had the Tesla here. "Excuse me for being pushy, but I'm 93 years old and I want to ride in a Tesla before my wick goes out!" Before breakfast or after, I asked. She said, right now!

Eight years old to 93 years old. Pretty good range of ages.

I was at the West Yellowstone Super Charger, yesterday when another Model S backed in and plugged in. The next thing I saw was the mother opened the Frunk, laid her baby down inside and did a diaper change. The whole time, another mom in an ICE car, with a baby strapped on her chest, was standing about 30 feet away, with her mouth open. Imagine seeing someone putting their baby in the engine compartment of a car, as though she thought the air filter cover or the 300 degree engine block was the perfect place for the diaper change. The Tesla Mom then casually pulled the baby out of the frunk, handed it to her husband, closed the frunk while the other woman, shook her head in disbelief. Ignorant of the true nature of the frunk, this other mother was totally baffled and almost ready to call Dept. of family services!

This is one of the best moments yet!