Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is what you put down just not matter? Or your ~$400 a month all that matters? In almost all my leases I have either gotten a check or skipped my first payment. Did you factor in your downpayment over the payments?

Down payment matters, but it was only ~$6K - not an insane amount (and I'll get it back in state rebate and tax credit). I also got $20K for the trade in. The point being that you don't have to be rolling in it to afford a Tesla.

Also, I'm not leasing.

I had a funny moment last week. My annual state safety inspection was due and as I had a poor experience at the local car wash/oil change place near me last year, I thought to ask the new Mercedes-Benz dealership (not far from my home and my wife owns a MB) if they would perform the state inspection for me. They said "sure" so I brought it into service.

Pulled up my car into a line of MB cars/SUVs and into the service bay and got curious looks from the other drivers. Two porters headed my way and seeing each other, one outran the other to get to me first. He was excited about seeing a Tesla and I spoke with him about my safety inspection and not needing the emission test because it's an EV. He got me squared away and I went inside the waiting area with my wife.

A manager came out to drive my car away and could not move it. After a few minutes, I walked over to help and saw three or four service people looking in and around the steering wheel for a start button or something to get the car started. Coming upon the group and their manager, the gentleman sheepishly told me he has never driven a Tesla before and I did a quick orientation for him so he could drive away. He was amazed the car was already "on" and all smiles as he drove away.

Once inside, a number of service technicians wandered over to look over the car and I saw several advisors leave their desks to wander into the garage also. Great and fast inspection and they were very enthusiastic and respectful with my car.

Down payment matters, but it was only ~$6K - not an insane amount (and I'll get it back in state rebate and tax credit). I also got $20K for the trade in. The point being that you don't have to be rolling in it to afford a Tesla.

Also, I'm not leasing.

Haha, I'm with you. I'm hardly in the earnings territory (or cash territory) of some of the members here. That said I'd been saving for two years for a Tesla, ended up putting down significantly less than I had in the "Tesla Fund". I decided I was fine with a 1k/mo payment (had been saving more than that) and once I realized that's what my payments were going to be and I was already saving more than that, figured I may as well be driving the car around :)

Anyway, now for this weekends' Tesla moments.

1) On Saturday morning stopped by my parents house who had some family friends visiting. They had stayed at the Westin Hotel in Norfolk, VA the day before and saw whole mess of Teslas pull up (the convoy for the Electric road Trip). I offered them a quick ride in mine as they hadn't been yet. We load up and I back out of my parents driveway and stop the car. I asked the woman (sitting in passenger seat) and her husband if they were "ready". She says, "uh, yeah" and I punch it. You should have seen here holding on for dear life (I "only" have a 60D, mind you). We were rapidly approaching a sharp turn in the road and she was like "we're running out of road!". I slowed down and she was just laughing and laughing, big 'ole grin on both their faces, they then chattered about it when we came back into the house and my parents had knowing smiles on their faces.

2) Also Saturday, met up with some of the crew from here and other local fans for drinks/dinner at the hotel near where Tesla was doing their electric field trip event, had a great time! Also found a new restaurant to try out, the owners were there and sounds like they really know food.

3) Sunday, preparing to leave my sisters house in Williamsburg, their neighbors come over as I was loading up and started asking all sorts of questions. Apparently the husband had been following tesla for a year or so and looking into them. Great knowledge spreading opportunity.

4) Later Sunday, on the road trip up from Williamsburg to Philadelphia. Starting in one of the tunnels at baltimore (not the 95N one). I noticed a car shoot by me in the right lane, and then suddenly start rapidly dropping back. It was two younger kids in (I think) a Scion from Jersey. The kid in the driver seat was no *sugar* holding a hardcore camera (probably DSLR) and totally doing a photoshoot of "Thor".
I was in autopilot and we were in a tunnel so I didn't try to speed match with them, but I did open the sunroof and give them two thumbs up (look ma' no hands!). They stayed with me for the next several miles, was almost hoping they'd follow me when I pulled into Newark so I could get their email address. I bet some of those pictures will come out bad-ass, so if any of you are in jersey and have your friends (or friends kids') tell you about a blue facelifted Model S they saw Sunday, get those pictures and I'll get you a beer!

And here's the odometer as of halfway through Maryland. I picked him up August 11th. That's almost 2k miles in 2.5 weeks!
IMG_20160828_140544.jpg

After 5k miles I still want to press on a parking brake to set/release and also reach up and press the garage door opener. Those two functions are programmed into my brain. I'll bet this same problem occurred to people when they made the switch from manual to automatic transmissions decades ago. They probably constantly found their left foot twitching.:)

After 5k miles I still want to press on a parking brake to set/release and also reach up and press the garage door opener. Those two functions are programmed into my brain. I'll bet this same problem occurred to people when they made the switch from manual to automatic transmissions decades ago. They probably constantly found their left foot twitching.:)

Give it some time, and then you'll start to forget to "power off" and "lock" your ICE cars.

People's fascination with the frunk is really kinda weird. After a little while I just left it open and that attracted signifcantly more passersby to stop and investigate. It's always fun to play with the little kids and say "Where's the engine? Must be in the back! Let's go see."then open the trunk, feigning shock "Oh, no! Where is it? Someone took it! How'm I gonna get home now?!"
I like to say "there's a panel on the floor of the driver's side, it slides back, you put your feet down, and run like he11!". Invariably the response is "like the Flintstones!".

I do this too, I still feel like I should be taking some action when I get out of the car. I keep having a ghost hand make me reach to pull a key out of an ignition.

My old car had a steering wheel shifter, but probably every car I've borrowed or rented in the last 20 years has had a center console shifter. For the first few weeks whenever I parked the Tesla I would reach for the center console shifter.

I had a 2 month gap between selling my 60 and taking delivery of my 90D. TMC member @LoL Rick loaned me his old 2000 Jetta 5 speed manual. Just before delivery, he and I took his 85 on the Williamsburg road trip, and he found it hilarious that for the first few legs I drove, I kept lifting my left foot when I went to brake. I never did find the clutch in that thing!

Give it some time, and then you'll start to forget to "power off" and "lock" your ICE cars.
That hits close to home. Getting to be so I may be prohibited from driving my wife's Acura (until she gets her Model III). Can't tell you the number of times I've had to double take, slow down and think my way through the transition in and out of her car. Going to leave it running and in gear one of these days and it will roll away......hmmmm....

I took my stepson to a Nissan dealer to check out a used car. Pulled up and all the sales staff came out to check out Joules. The sales manager came up and asked if he could sit in it. I said not only could he sit in it but he could take it for a "test drive". His eyes lit up and off we went. I told him to put his foot in it and a few seconds later we were doing 60. He turned to me and said "This is an electric car?" I said yep and didn't Nissan sell one too? The Leaf? He just looked at me and said "Yeah well ..."

I took my stepson to a Nissan dealer to check out a used car. Pulled up and all the sales staff came out to check out Joules. The sales manager came up and asked if he could sit in it. I said not only could he sit in it but he could take it for a "test drive". His eyes lit up and off we went. I told him to put his foot in it and a few seconds later we were doing 60. He turned to me and said "This is an electric car?" I said yep and didn't Nissan sell one too? The Leaf? He just looked at me and said "Yeah well ..."

Too bad I can't click on more than one of those little grey icons...

I would've said Funny AND Informative. And, if there were such an icon, I'd also have added Sad.