Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am amazed by all the different range of comments I have read about the car on this post. I just got my car this weekend and I am absolutely loving it! I have had a range of mix reviews from a brand new Volvo owner giving me the thumbs up as I were pulling out my garage to someone trying to scald me on the price of the car and how they would never pay that much! My best moment this weekend was when I was showing my mother-in-law's neighbor the car and she said that it looks like something a super hero would drive! I was wearing a Superman shirt so I replied that I'm kind of like a super hero! (Yes, I know Superman does not need a car but that is besides the point!)

We enjoy cars so the money gets spent. Other interests that can get way more expensive: A passion for horses, or buying that big diesel crew cab with a 5th wheel for pulling that big ass camper . . hell, just gearing up for hunting or boating can be much more expensive than owning a Tesla! Life is all about choices . . .

We enjoy cars so the money gets spent. Other interests that can get way more expensive: A passion for horses, or buying that big diesel crew cab with a 5th wheel for pulling that big ass camper . . hell, just gearing up for hunting or boating can be much more expensive than owning a Tesla! Life is all about choices . . .

Urgh! First world problems! lol

hell, just gearing up for hunting or boating can be much more expensive than owning a Tesla! Life is all about choices . . .

True, have you seen the cost of a new Nautique? They "start" at $75k and go upwards to $200k. And every other idiot on the block has one to go with their huge $65k diesel truck that they need to pull it, yet they all scold me for getting a $138k car that only set me back $92k out of pocket.

True, have you seen the cost of a new Nautique? They "start" at $75k and go upwards to $200k. And every other idiot on the block has one to go with their huge $65k diesel truck that they need to pull it, yet they all scold me for getting a $138k car that only set me back $92k out of pocket.
Random fun fact: I grew up within walking distance of Correct Craft, makers of the Nautique. Many a friend learned to ski behind a Ski Nautique. I don't think they were quite so pricey back then!

Michigan is still without a Tesla sales office because of the backlash from the independent dealer network. So you won't see too many Tesla's there. I found the Ann Arbor and Port Huron SC mostly empty. My Tesla moment occurred when I dropped in to a Midas shop to have my winter tires installed. None of the technicians have ever seen such a car. They thought it was made in Canada! Every step from searching for the ignition key to how to put the car into Jack Mode was unfamiliar to them. The funniest part was when they offered to do an oil change for me while I waited.

Michigan is still without a Tesla sales office because of the backlash from the independent dealer network. So you won't see too many Tesla's there. I found the Ann Arbor and Port Huron SC mostly empty. My Tesla moment occurred when I dropped in to a Midas shop to have my winter tires installed. None of the technicians have ever seen such a car. They thought it was made in Canada! Every step from searching for the ignition key to how to put the car into Jack Mode was unfamiliar to them. The funniest part was when they offered to do an oil change for me while I waited.

And people wonder why most of the rust belt is unemployed. Got some dull tools in that there toolbox.

• Funny
Reactions: EVie'sDad

You should have agreed to it, I would have love to see the response they had looking underneath!

Sort of "Tesla Moments"...

Twice now in one month I've run into new CPO owners at superchargers. When I asked how they found their cars, both said EV-CPO. They were both quite surprised when I told them that I was behind that site. One owner at Newark, DE SC told me his sales advisor at the Tesla gallery store told him to use my site.

That same guy was enamored with the lighted TESLA rear applique, and he thought that was because I had a "P" model. I told him that wasn't the case and anyone could get one installed.

Anti-Tesla moment: I'm at Disneyland (yay!). We drove the Autopia ride, which is in Tomorrowland. That seemed really ironic to me because it's all about driving noisy smelly ICE cars. Honda sponsors this ride but it'd be more appropriate IMHO if the cars were Teslas. :)

Bruce.

I've heard some other people comment on the irony that Autotopia at Disneyland's Tomorrowland has ICE cars.

I just read this to my SO and she responded, "did they ask to check the muffler too?"

• Funny
Reactions: F_T_K
I've heard some other people comment on the irony that Autotopia at Disneyland's Tomorrowland has ICE cars.
yeah I've always found that ironic, being Tomorrowland after all.

But I hear that Hong Kong Disneyland has electric cars in its version of Autopia.
Autopia of the Future at Hong Kong Disneyland

I've not been to the HK version, but from what I read it sounds like they have sound effects in the cars to make them sound like ICE! how's that for on-going irony?

• Funny
Reactions: Pkmmte
Anti-Tesla moment: I'm at Disneyland (yay!). We drove the Autopia ride, which is in Tomorrowland. That seemed really ironic to me because it's all about driving noisy smelly ICE cars. Honda sponsors this ride but it'd be more appropriate IMHO if the cars were Teslas. :)

Bruce.
Most fictional future of the past is now equally fictional past of the present. Though last week's events may bring us closer to Walt's
rather narrow idea of a Utopian future... :(

Reactions: HankLloydRight
The Tomorrowland thing is especially strange considering the movie references Tesla and Elon Musk a lot - references to Nikola Tesla, has a transit station resembling a Hyperloop called a "Tesla station", shows numerous vertical landing rockets, and at the end it shows a vehicle designer with a sketch that resembles a Model S.

Admittedly, the movie was only released in 2015, and the rides are significantly older.

Had a minor Tesla moment Sunday evening. We were waiting to go straight at a traffic light and in the opposing direction in the left turn lane was a car with LED headlights. I commented those looked like Tesla headlights and we had a bit of a debate about whether they were or not. When the car turned, sure enough it was a dark blue Model S.

Once she got a look from the side she thinks it's one she's seen around town the last month.

I lost a similar debate a week or so back when we were following a car on the freeway at night and the taillights looked like a Model S. It turned out to be a Mercedes. The shape was close, but a bit more "cat's eyes" than the Model S.

Related to my Michigan trip, on the way back I plugged in at the Port Huron Supercharger for my last leg of my trip to Toronto. I went to the local bar to grab a bit to eat. The bar tender asked me about my car and I told her I had to charge from a near dead battery to 80% to make it to Toronto without stopping at the Woodstock Supercharger. She told me I can hang out at the bar for as long as I want since that sounded like a long way for an electric car! When she brought my food in 20 minutes, I mentioned to her that according to my Tesla App, the charge level is pretty much able to take me to Toronto now. She was astonished that the charge rate was so fast. By the time I paid my bill, 40 minutes after I entered the bar, I had enough charge to get to Toronto with 25% reserve. I told her since I don't have to pay for gas, I had more money for her tip ;-)

Bruce.

We were there last weekend and I made the exact same comment. For extra irony, my wife picked "AUTOPIA" for her license plate.

We've had two Tesla moments so far. I should start by saying Billings is a pretty small town, relativity speaking, and as far as I know we have the first Tesla in town. Since this is Montana, "in town" means a 150 mile radius.

First week of ownership my wife went to buy something off Craigslist and all the guy wanted to do was talk about her car, at length, "probably the coolest car in town!", etc, etc.

Today I took the car in to have winter tires put on. After getting the job done the owner wanted to know all about the car, including asking for a ride next time I was in the neighborhood. At this the other workers in the lobby all put their heads up with "what about us?" expressions, and the owner suggested we should sell tickets.

We were there last weekend and I made the exact same comment. For extra irony, my wife picked "AUTOPIA" for her license plate.

We've had two Tesla moments so far. I should start by saying Billings is a pretty small town, relativity speaking, and as far as I know we have the first Tesla in town. Since this is Montana, "in town" means a 150 mile radius.

First week of ownership my wife went to buy something off Craigslist and all the guy wanted to do was talk about her car, at length, "probably the coolest car in town!", etc, etc.

Today I took the car in to have winter tires put on. After getting the job done the owner wanted to know all about the car, including asking for a ride next time I was in the neighborhood. At this the other workers in the lobby all put their heads up with "what about us?" expressions, and the owner suggested we should sell tickets.

That is something I've been wondering about (not the tickets but just test rides in general :))....

I am expecting to pick up my MX60D in the next couple weeks and seems like there will be a lot of ride and test drive requests that will come up. I want to share the Tesla experience and encourage everyone to consider a Tesla for their next car but allowing so many people to test drive my new car sounds a little worrying. Thinking I'll limit test drives only to people I know well and ride alongs for everyone else. How does everyone deal with such requests? Or just hand out cards to folks at the Tesla showroom.... ;)

Reactions: hiroshiy