Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: Hugh Mannity
I've had a couple of humorous Tesla moments this weekend.

The first was Saturday when I pulled up to a traffic light in eastern Vancouver, WA. The woman in front of me was holding her cell phone out the window and I was wondering what she was doing. When I realized she was taking pictures of my car, I started laughing and she waved. I was chuckling most of the way home.

I also had a bald eagle fly across the highway in front of me on the way home. He/she was high enough to be safe from traffic, but low enough I got an excellent view of the bird. I call them the Columbia River pigeon, but it's still cool to see one close up.

The second was when I stopped by my SO's law office on Sunday to drop off something. The office is in a part of town that is in a part of town in the early stages of gentrification. There are some scuzzy apartments around the office and we've found some "interesting" things around the building. There happened to be more junkers on the road than usual around the office and I was just thinking that Tesla's aren't too common in that neighborhood. Just about the second I finished that thought I noticed a silver Model S going the other way.

Minor things, but I found them entertaining.

A red light moment.......beautiful windows down peaceful Sunday morning today, and a jeep cherokee pulled up with a couple shouting to the high heavens at each other. After eavesdropping a bit, I slowly turned my head to the left and glanced at their faces. I smiled at her. And then at him. Silence. The driver smiled back, and then she lit up with a big "hello good morning". He tipped his hat and gave a respectful nod slouched in his seat. And then she fired up again...."and by the way, that SUV, that's the Tesla I want, just like that, just like........" I hit the peddle, and was gone before she finished. That poor guy.

Funny thing... I've been driving a Model S P85 since late 2012. It attracted a lot of attention at first, but as expected that has slowly waned. "Tesla time" talking about the car with strangers has become an occasional thing.

However... I just picked up a new 100D, and it's getting quite a bit of attention. Just because the red is brighter than Signature Red? Or???

I had another one yesterday. I still have my wisdom teeth and a filling on one of them broke last week. The dentist I've been going to refused to even look at it and told me to go to a dental surgeon and have it pulled, which is not logistically possible right now. Work has become very busy and I'm still supporting my SO in her recovery from her surgery. The dentist I was going to sold her practice and the guy who bought her practice is a bit lacking in people skills.

Anyway, I went to another dentist nearer to home and he did a pretty decent job patching up the existing filling. He thought it might last me a few years. When he met me he asked if the "white car" out there was mine and told me he had a black one that was a bit older, an early 85D. We talked a little about Telsa Moments.

I'm switching dentists. Not because of his car, but I think his skill is on par with the one I've been going to and his "chair-side manner" is much better.

Never a good Tesla moment when a fellow owner is involved in a fender bender. :(
(10W to 405S merge)

IMG_0117.JPG

I had a weird one on Saturday. I went to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription, and when I came back out to the car, it wouldn't move! This is the first time the Big Gay Car has left me stuck (other than potholes, that is). The parking brake wouldn't release. Even turning it off from the touchscreen, it would warn me that the car was free-rolling, but in fact the brake was still on.

Here's the moment: I was nosed into a parking space, and the one in front of me on the other aisle was empty. I was waiting for the tow truck. There were plenty of open spaces nearer to the pharmacy. So along comes an SUV with a tiny woman driving it, and she starts to pull in nose-first to this one. So I walked up to her, and politely explained I was waiting for a tow, and could she please take a different spot? She said "Oh, great, I really just want to talk about the Tesla!" So we chatted for about 10 minutes. Her kids want to give her a Model X! I gave her my referral code. The irony of telling someone how great the car is while waiting for it to be towed...

I had a weird one on Saturday. I went to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription, and when I came back out to the car, it wouldn't move! This is the first time the Big Gay Car has left me stuck (other than potholes, that is). The parking brake wouldn't release. Even turning it off from the touchscreen, it would warn me that the car was free-rolling, but in fact the brake was still on.

Here's the moment: I was nosed into a parking space, and the one in front of me on the other aisle was empty. I was waiting for the tow truck. There were plenty of open spaces nearer to the pharmacy. So along comes an SUV with a tiny woman driving it, and she starts to pull in nose-first to this one. So I walked up to her, and politely explained I was waiting for a tow, and could she please take a different spot? She said "Oh, great, I really just want to talk about the Tesla!" So we chatted for about 10 minutes. Her kids want to give her a Model X! I gave her my referral code. The irony of telling someone how great the car is while waiting for it to be towed...

Sounds like you may be the first customer to actually experience the parking brake failure that they sent us the recall notice for.

Sounds like you may be the first customer to actually experience the parking brake failure that they sent us the recall notice for.
Except that the BGC is one of the very first Signatures, so not affected by the recent recall. That doesn't mean that it might not be a related problem, though... maybe that gear also wears out or something.

Except that the BGC is one of the very first Signatures, so not affected by the recent recall. That doesn't mean that it might not be a related problem, though... maybe that gear also wears out or something.
Whats the ETA on an update from Tesla service? Its the freakish things like this that concern me when heading off into the wild blue younder, which I like to do for days at a time.

Cool story, I hope your loot box turns gold soon!

Here's the moment: I was nosed into a parking space, and the one in front of me on the other aisle was empty. I was waiting for the tow truck. There were plenty of open spaces nearer to the pharmacy. So along comes an SUV with a tiny woman driving it, and she starts to pull in nose-first to this one. S

What is it with people sometimes? We were moving my wife's daughter to college a few years ago, and our SUV (not a Tesla) lost it's alternator on 95S in Delaware. The engine eventually died and I hobbled it along coasting in neutral into the Newark, DE rest stop (same one with the superchargers). I coasted the car into a spot way way far away from all the other cars in the lot, because I knew we needed a tow. There had to be at least 10 open spaces in all directions from our car. Not 10 minutes later, another car pulls up and parks in the spot directly in front of ours. Same thing -- "hey, we're waiting for a tow truck, can you move?"

What is it with people sometimes? We were moving my wife's daughter to college a few years ago, and our SUV (not a Tesla) lost it's alternator on 95S in Delaware. The engine eventually died and I hobbled it along coasting in neutral into the Newark, DE rest stop (same one with the superchargers). I coasted the car into a spot way way far away from all the other cars in the lot, because I knew we needed a tow. There had to be at least 10 open spaces in all directions from our car. Not 10 minutes later, another car pulls up and parks in the spot directly in front of ours. Same thing -- "hey, we're waiting for a tow truck, can you move?"

Could be worse...you could have had the car die in a parking garage that's not tall enough for the tow truck, and have to push the car (around a corner and up a ramp) to someplace the tow truck could hook up to it. Guess how I know about this. :mad:

(At least it was a BMW 330, not as heavy as a Model S.)

Bruce.

Several months ago, after I just got my Tesla, I parked out in the far back corner at Home Depot where no cars were around. Twenty minutes later I came out to this. Luckily I haven't experienced this very many times since then, but I thought it was funny at the time since I had just read about this phenomenon while reading this forum.
IMG_3816.JPG

That happened about 95% of the time with my Delorean. I could be parked in the hinterlands of a massive empty parking lot, and some jackwad would invariably park right next to my car. Not one or two spaces over, but 9" away. Without fail. I get that they want to check out the car, but dude, you don't have to park in the next spot with 4000 other empty parking spots nearby.

Reactions: Cyclone
Had a moment tonight.

The wife had a craving for a cafe au lait; we didn't have milk so I did a umm "milk run" o_O to the local gas station to grab a one litre.

I'm up and the guy says "do you have a petro points card", "said nope don't need one and I point to my car outside". The guy mumbles "sweet, a no gas car".

The lady behind me laughs and says "you wish". The guy pipes up and says "he's right that car doesn't use gas"

The lady again laughs but she sees us with straight faces. Anyway long story short; plenty of OMG and ohh and ahh with some frunk face thrown in for good measure; the conversation blew the lady away. She had no idea electric cars existed and I'm sure she's researching the hell out of Tesla, Leaf and Bolt tonight based on our conversation from this evening. She seems well to do and drives an Inifiniti QX? 56? Whatever that behemoth/monstrosity is called. Obviously told her about the Model X and she seemed thrilled about it.

She is probably early 40's. it blows me away that there are people out there that still have no idea about EV's. :eek: amazing!

All this talk about parking in the hinterlands of parking lots to avoid door dings. I tend to try and park in spots with nobody on the lines, but sometimes I can't. The last two days I had to park in crowded parking lots/garages next to cars that were on the line and I was concerned about door dings. In both cases I was gone for more than an hour, but in both cases the cars that were parked close to mine hadn't moved when I came back.

I'm a bit surprised I haven't gotten a door ding yet. In my Buick I think I had one within the first month. My SO's Subaru is 3 1/2 years old now and she's only had one so far. Maybe people are actually more careful about opening their door into other cars these days? Or maybe it's just around here that people have become more considerate? Or something else?