Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I pulled into my driveway, I saw a father with his middle school aged son who were both pointing at my car. I backed into the garage and they stood in the middle of the driveway, the father clearly talking to his son about my car. I stepped out to greet the two and get the mail. The father told me that he explained to his son that he couldn't hear the car because it doesn't have an internal combustion engine. I said that it's true and explained to the son that it's completely electric. The son then asked if it's fast. "Really fast and super fun to drive!" I replied. The father was clearly intrigued, asked a ton of questions about the car, its battery, and the charger he spotted in my open garage. We talked more about the future when electric cars will become the new normal. The son mentioned that he can't wait to ride the Hyperloop and that the Tesla reminds him of it. He said that this is the kind of the car he wants to drive in the future.

I offered them to check out the car but they had to head home. I thanked the father for teaching his son about electric cars. I thought it was great that the father took the time to educate his son about electric vehicles when he saw one and that he didn't hesitate to ask questions.

Took my family to Las Vegas/Grand Canyon trip last week. They wanted to go to Zion since they heard my stories from there many years ago. Having recently purchased a MS, I could not imagine driving anything other than a Tesla to Zion, so I rented a MX.

After leaving St. George charging, coming back to LV, we were passing through a small town. I was proceeding through a green light when I locked eyes with a boy (about 12) pushing his scooter across the crosswalk. I kept eye contact to make sure he didn't dart in front of me but his mouth was dropped to the ground. His head followed our car as I read his lips, "Oh my f**ing god".

I had to laugh and wish I had recorded it! I have to say my model S does not get that type of attention (12 years old or not)!

• Funny
Reactions: Fresco and OBX John
When I pulled into my driveway, I saw a father with his middle school aged son who were both pointing at my car. I backed into the garage and they stood in the middle of the driveway, the father clearly talking to his son about my car. I stepped out to greet the two and get the mail. The father told me that he explained to his son that he couldn't hear the car because it doesn't have an internal combustion engine. I said that it's true and explained to the son that it's completely electric. The son then asked if it's fast. "Really fast and super fun to drive!" I replied. The father was clearly intrigued, asked a ton of questions about the car, its battery, and the charger he spotted in my open garage. We talked more about the future when electric cars will become the new normal. The son mentioned that he can't wait to ride the Hyperloop and that the Tesla reminds him of it. He said that this is the kind of the car he wants to drive in the future.

I offered them to check out the car but they had to head home. I thanked the father for teaching his son about electric cars. I thought it was great that the father took the time to educate his son about electric vehicles when he saw one and that he didn't hesitate to ask questions.
You should have Summoned it out of the garage and really blown their minds!

I don't know why I didn't think of that... If something like this happens again, I'll have Tessi roll forward and introduce herself. I'll tell them that she gets curious when people talk about her and always wants to know what's going on, which is why she decided to come out. Thanks for the tip!

I don't know why I didn't think of that... If something like this happens again, I'll have Tessi roll forward and introduce herself. I'll tell them that she gets curious when people talk about her and always wants to know what's going on, which is why she decided to come out. Thanks for the tip!
Are you kidding? I NEVER miss an opportunity to use Summon. My bf learned a lesson about having alerts set on the app...I came home from a Cars & Coffee once, and he held up his phone and said, "did you have a good time showing off? I got FORTY EIGHT Summon alerts!"

I think we all know the answer to THAT question.

Are you kidding? I NEVER miss an opportunity to use Summon. My bf learned a lesson about having alerts set on the app...I came home from a Cars & Coffee once, and he held up his phone and said, "did you have a good time showing off? I got FORTY EIGHT Summon alerts!"

I think we all know the answer to THAT question.
Wow, I've never even played with the summon feature. Is it really that much fun? What should I try first? I have a nice three day weekend coming up that I can spend playing with my car.

Wow, I've never even played with the summon feature. Is it really that much fun? What should I try first? I have a nice three day weekend coming up I can spend playing with my car.
It's more of a party trick. Everyone seems to love it though

We had people over the other night, who got in before me and pulled into the driveway. So when they were leaving (and it was raining), I summoned the car out [it chocked a little at the lip of the driveway/street, but made it]. They were standing there going "ooo aaa ooo aaa" saying they need to video it next time.

Problem is, remember that lip? After they left the car wouldn't summon back from the street... Had to run out and manually drive it in #firstworldproblems

Wow, I've never even played with the summon feature. Is it really that much fun? What should I try first? I have a nice three day weekend coming up that I can spend playing with my car.
It's fun at car shows for sure! I use the fob because it's faster than the app, and I can nonchalantly hold it behind my back and have a conversation...people look around trying to figure out who is controlling it, but they never suspect the woman 10ft away! I love to do it when there are kids walking by. Kids don't have filters for their reactions, so it's pretty funny...

I've used summon a few months back when parking at a diagonal parking lot that had a meter. I tend to venture on the safe side and give the car more than a few inches so I don't hit the curb. The passenger said I could move it a bit closer as she fed the meter. I had already exited the car so I said, "Sure I can do that". Freaked her out when I pointed out that the car was moving towards her. Even have dashcam video which is ... priceless.

I've used summon a few months back when parking at a diagonal parking lot that had a meter. I tend to venture on the safe side and give the car more than a few inches so I don't hit the curb. The passenger said I could move it a bit closer as she fed the meter. I had already exited the car so I said, "Sure I can do that". Freaked her out when I pointed out that the car was moving towards her. Even have dashcam video which is ... priceless.
Okay lets see it.

Reactions: Pollux and LoL Rick
Sounds like you may be the first customer to actually experience the parking brake failure that they sent us the recall notice for.

Except that the BGC is one of the very first Signatures, so not affected by the recent recall. That doesn't mean that it might not be a related problem, though... maybe that gear also wears out or something.
Just to close this out: without getting any more detail, they did say it was a very similar failure. They replaced both parking brake calipers, only the left was stuck, although it took quite a while to get the parts in. I retrieved it yesterday, so basically 5 days to replace calipers. If it had been booked in for the recall it would have been a very short repair. They also noticed a funny noise from the driver's side window that I hadn't noticed, and fixed it; apparently some wiring had been misrouted years before when the door handle was replaced and had come loose. All this was covered under the extended warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: Pollux and int32_t
Several months ago, after I just got my Tesla, I parked out in the far back corner at Home Depot where no cars were around. Twenty minutes later I came out to this. Luckily I haven't experienced this very many times since then, but I thought it was funny at the time since I had just read about this phenomenon while reading this forum.
View attachment 228313
I am convinced this phonomenon occurs because the Model S is the nicest looking car on the block. Other cars feel better just being nearby. Like light, the effect of being nearby follows the inverse square law -- so being 10 cm away is 100x better than being 1m away! :cool: :p
(Please say I got the math right -- it's getting late.)

Funny thing... I've been driving a Model S P85 since late 2012. It attracted a lot of attention at first, but as expected that has slowly waned. "Tesla time" talking about the car with strangers has become an occasional thing.

However... I just picked up a new 100D, and it's getting quite a bit of attention. Just because the red is brighter than Signature Red? Or???
As a 75D owner I can assure you it's because they can sense the majesty of 100kWh battery. I can feel it from here...

I know we all get these moments but it doesn't get old. I was looking into buying a boat upstate NY and the salesman begged me to summon the S out of it's parking spot. I had a crowd of 8 people waiting for the car to move on it's own. :) This is really all i use summon for, a party trick. Being a Tesla fanboy I am surprised at times how little people know about Tesla. It's always something like "I heard of them, they have a car that drives itself right?" I NEVER see another Tesla in the area of my upstate house. I have met a few people due to talking about the car. On L.I. at times I may see a few but it is rare.

This reminds me of the time I summoned our S away from us as we were walking towards it because my aunt refused to test drive. She asked, "Why is it doing that?" I responded by saying, "I think you hurt its feelings when you refused to drive." :cool:

She couldn't drive anyway since she didn't bring her license with her, but she's the kind of person who loves torquey cars and currently owns an X5. So I had to give her a ride. Her description: "That felt weird! I felt like I was in a rollercoaster!" :D