Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Headed into town on the main highway, it's one lane in each direction down near us and expands to 2 lanes as you get closer to Vancouver, WA. Last Sunday I had an appointment and was running late. I got stuck behind a string of cars all of whom seemed happy going 45 on a 60 MPH highway. When it expanded to 2 lanes, they all stayed in the left lane (illegal in this state, but people do it). I needed to get around them so I went into the right lane and as I don't like passing on the right, I made sure nobody was imminently coming over and gunned it just a little. The car leapt from 45 to 80 in no time and suddenly everyone wanted to get in the right lane including the first car in line before I passed him. He did start signalling to go into the right lane before I got there and slowed down to let him, but he turned off the signal and stayed in the left until I went by.

I haven't seen a Tesla accelerate from the outside, but the way cars disappear in my rear view, it must be impressive, especially since it's also silent. Without making any noise this car goes from 45 to 80 in virtually the blink of an eye.

This wasn't the first time people have moved over when I've taken off, but it was the longest line of cars to all do it at once.

I haven't seen a Tesla accelerate from the outside, but the way cars disappear in my rear view, it must be impressive, especially since it's also silent. Without making any noise this car goes from 45 to 80 in virtually the blink of an eye.

I've seen this once. In the parking lot at the Buena Park service center / Supercharger. Model X driver launched, trying to beat a Model S driver to a just-opened charging stall. The speed at which one of these cars can accelerate from a dead stop is...impressive, especially when you're standing only 15 feet away. The security guard and I were all :eek::eek::eek:.

Bruce.

I've seen this once. In the parking lot at the Buena Park service center / Supercharger. Model X driver launched, trying to beat a Model S driver to a just-opened charging stall. The speed at which one of these cars can accelerate from a dead stop is...impressive, especially when you're standing only 15 feet away. The security guard and I were all :eek::eek::eek:.

Bruce.
This was in a busy, crowded parking lot? If so, the Tesla acceleration wasn't the only "impressive" thing that day... :(

Reactions: Pollux
This was in a busy, crowded parking lot? If so, the Tesla acceleration wasn't the only "impressive" thing that day... :(

Yeah, a parking lot full of Teslas no less. The X physically blocked the S from turning into the stall, and words were exchanged between the drivers. My ten-year-old was within earshot and proudly reported to me later that "swearing was involved". So yeah, impressive on several levels.

Bruce.

The X physically blocked the S from turning into the stall, and words were exchanged between the drivers

Indeed. Lesson = Having a better car doesn't make you a better person.

Except in my case, where having a Smart Electric car definitely makes me a better person, and that's just the way it is! ;-)

I'm fortunate to live in a neighborhood where Teslas are pretty common, and it's not unusual to see half a dozen Model S and a couple Model X (sadly, Roadsters are rare) on the way to and from school drop-off. For some reason the students on traffic duty went totally bonkers this morning and were pushing each other out of the way so they could grab my rear door handle as it presented. Fortunately nobody got killed in the feeding frenzy, but sheez...you'd think none of them had ever seen a Tesla before! I was tempted to hang around school and watch them react to a Model X arriving. :)

Bruce.

Reactions: DaveD and hiroshiy
Since most of my Tesla moments are vicarious ones, they're a little harder to come by, but they still result in Tesla grins :)

I pulled my Prius into the local mall and found the perfect car to complement my "perfect Tesla raffle" decals.

And then, on Friday evening coming north across the American Legion bridge, a gorgeous blue MX stopped short on my right to let me merge over. Driver had a very contagious Tesla grin - thank you!! that made my evening :)

Attachments

• IMG_3826.JPG
    IMG_3826.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 129
I had sort of a Tesla moment at Trader Joe's yesterday. As we pulled in, I noticed what looked like a dark blue (the original blue) Model S in the next row and there was a couple walking our way from over where the Tesla was. There were some other cars over there and I was trying to determine if the people walking by belonged to that car or not when behind my car I heard a really loud engine revving. I turned around and a Lamborghini had just driven by. It appears he decided to "announce" himself when he saw my car. The guy who had just walked past exchanged a couple of friendly words with the Lambo driver and the Lambo went off down the parking lot. I realized I have never seen a Lambo in the wild before.

We went in the pet store a couple of doors down from TJ's and when we came back to deposit our purchase there and collect bags for TJ's, the people who had walked by were headed to the Tesla with a huge collection of balloons in purple and gold (University of Washington colors). They got them all in the Tesla and left. I thought of going over there and talking to them, but my SO wanted to get the shopping done. I did quip to her "how many balloons can you get in a Tesla?"

On the way to TJ's we stopped at the Vancouver Chevy dealer and looked at the new Bolt which they just got in. Neither of us is very interested in the car, but I wanted to see what the hoo haw was about. My SO noted that even though the overall size of the car is a little less than her Impreza, the useful space is close to the same. I do see what people are talking about with the uncomfortable seats.

It was sort of an interesting car day. I still would take my car over either the Bolt or the Lambo.

Reactions: Pollux and hiroshiy
Follow-up to Doug_G's attention observation w/r/t his new 100...

"Minding my own business" (not really) on the way to the Tesla factory (Fremont) after washing the car (somewhat) in Milpitas I get stuck in traffic. To mitigate the boredom, my eyes wander to a yellow McLaren -- because 'hey, McLaren' -- in the HOV lane just as the HOV lane stacks up. As I pass I notice the McLaren's passenger pointing out my car to his driver.

At this point I'm thinking "Don't they see like a ridiculous number of these in 'Tesla country' (Fremont, CA)? So why the interest... well, regardless 'cool'. :)"

Later the McLaren catches up and we chat a bit.
McLaren passenger: "We had a Tesla in our shop recently. They're amazing."
Me: "Yup."
McLaren passenger: "What's the horsepower?"
Me (somewhat dodging): "What's the 0-60 on that?"
McLaren driver: "2.8"
Me: "2.3 if you're Motor Trend."
McLaren passenger: "Nice"
Traffic starts moving and we nod as we part ways.

Since most of my Tesla moments are vicarious ones, they're a little harder to come by, but they still result in Tesla grins :)

I pulled my Prius into the local mall and found the perfect car to complement my "perfect Tesla raffle" decals.

And then, on Friday evening coming north across the American Legion bridge, a gorgeous blue MX stopped short on my right to let me merge over. Driver had a very contagious Tesla grin - thank you!! that made my evening :)

I may just be the tiniest bit biased... but there's something I really love about that Prius!

Reactions: CatB