Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Halloween Tesla moment.

Our son and the neighbors' son out of the blue tell us they want to be "Tesla race car drivers" for Halloween. These boys are absolutely nuts for everything Tesla after we got our CPO P85 in February. So what is a parent to do? Why buy youth size fire suits and have them custom embroidered of course!!

Jeff on Twitter

My dream cars were things like Porsche 959, Ferrari F40, etc... and these boys get to ride in theirs with their booster seats. Just amazing to me.
I agree, it's kind of surreal getting to drive my dream car everyday. There's no other car I would rather be driving. Time to drive home \0/.

Love the rear view camera to see people pointing and grabbing cell phone shots,, and for moments like this , you gotta love the old west..

Attachments

• IMG_8725.JPG
    IMG_8725.JPG
    850.9 KB · Views: 192
Ok, not "really" a Tesla moment in the expected sense (someone else commenting or noticing).

The other day my commute took me up a 6% grade for around 3 miles (Highway).

I was zipping along with the other traffic (we were all doing the... ahem... speed limit) when suddenly I had to start passing everyone. I had forgotten about the grade (I usually don't do this commute), and realized that I was effortlessly climbing the grade while all the other ICE had easily lost 10-20 mph trying to climb the grade. The only car that was keeping up with me was a Corvette, and barely at that.

Love my S70D. :D

I drove from Nashville to Charleston, SC (and back) this week... Once i'm in the smokies, the only indication I have of if i'm going up or down a hill is the power meter... The car just goes. Cruise at "Almost the speed limit... Kinda... Somewhere else... In Texas..." and I was just blowing by everyone going uphill, downhill, around turns, everything...

I drove from Nashville to Charleston, SC (and back) this week... Once i'm in the smokies, the only indication I have of if i'm going up or down a hill is the power meter... The car just goes. Cruise at "Almost the speed limit... Kinda... Somewhere else... In Texas..." and I was just blowing by everyone going uphill, downhill, around turns, everything...
I just stayed in a cabin in the Smokies a few weeks ago, and thought the same thing. When I didn't have TACC on, I noticed how teslas are perfect for mountain diving... Because on the downhills it's so easy to just adjust with one pedal instead of having to brake like the savages have to. Lol

I just stayed in a cabin in the Smokies a few weeks ago, and thought the same thing. When I didn't have TACC on, I noticed how teslas are perfect for mountain diving... Because on the downhills it's so easy to just adjust with one pedal instead of having to brake like the savages have to. Lol

I love driving curvy roads with regen braking. I've always driven them aggressively, but now I can crank it up another notch.

I had a sort of Tesla thought the other day. I was passing through a freeway exchange and a BMW SUV was merging near me. I heard this horrible squealing noise and my first concern was something wrong with my car. I quickly figured out the BMW had a loose fan belt and my next thought was "poor sot! I don't have fan belts to come loose!"

This isn’t really a Tesla moment, but I thought it was pretty funny. I was driving in the mountains in Europe with my ex a number of years ago in a rented car with a manual transmission. I was downshifting on the descents and the engine was making a lot of noise as I did so.

My ex got a little worried and asked what the noise was and I said, “oh, don’t worry, that’s just the engine braking.” Then it occurred to me what I had just said, so I added, “oh, wait. I better rephrase that”

Had a great Tesla moment yesterday when I picked my 14 year old up from school. We were waiting at the stop sign to exit the parking lot/school road with a lot of students walking around. A group of about 5 or 6 teens are crossing in front of us in the crosswalk and do a double take when the see the Aluminum Falcon. Give us a thumbs up and "Cool Car!". Then one kid walks up the window, sees my youngest and says "Your dad has a cool F'ing car" (Fword changed for this forum). According to my teen, nothing like that has apparently happened to my wife in the minivan...

I had 3 “moments” today.

First was this morning. I was waiting to turn left onto this side street as this gentleman coming from the other direction was turning down the same road. He just kept staring at my car while turning and swung really wide into the other lane that had traffic and just kept checking out my car!

The second was me stopping at a light next to car in the left turn lane. The passenger looks over and immediately said “ Ohhh Tesla!” Made me smile!

The third was being passed by a family in another Tesla this evening and when I looked over they were all waving! That totally made my night! To the driver on 33 tonight Hello! I hope you saw me waving back as well!

Too many of my miles are driven on 'boring' roads... But I had the chance to drive an interesting road a couple of weeks ago, the back way into Whistler via the Duffy Lake Road. Rain on the way up out of Lillooet, 12-18" boulders on the road, but no traffic (it's a sketchy road this time of year, but much shorter for me). Felt like Pike's Peak! Tight corners, cliffs, serious uphill grades, instant acceleration out of the turns. Good fun for sure, but the other side wasn't great. Heavy, heavy, wet snow falling, and no road maintenance. I was pushing snow with the front bumper in a few places and the snow at the asphalt was slush... ABS would lock up and I felt like I continued to accelerate down the steeper stretches. Definitely drove slower! Eventually I came across a snowplow pointed the other way, spun out and trying to get chains on. The Tesla Moment? 'Moments' actually... the incredulous look from the snowplow driver when I rolled down my window to make sure all was OK... when he realized I was driving electric and had made it over the worst section! And then, that same look from the group I met for a late dinner when I finally arrived in Whistler - who had all driven up the much easier route from Vancouver, and were complaining about the conditions. "You can drive an electric car over that pass??? In THIS WEATHER???" LOL...good winter tires are so worth the money!
Google Maps

Yeah what is it about Teslas in Lafayette? In this Lafayette, Teslas are common...it's a very rare day when I don't see a handful of Teslas while taking my son to school five minutes away.

Although I did have a nice Tesla moment last week...I passed a silver S85D on the freeway which was almost a twin of my car. It was neat to see that same car catch up to me later, and the driver giving me a smile and a wave (enthusiastically returned once I got over my surprise, nobody waves around here anymore).

Bruce.

Tesla are almost as common as Camry in Bay Area, CA. But I guess that's the whole point right?

Already did. Alas she loves her minivan and says she'll only go for a Tesla when they make a minivan. I realize a lot,of,hates out ther are groaning, but the reality is that a lot of families love the utility of a minivan and it appears only Chrysler is working on a BEV minivan with their Pacifica project for 2020. Personally I'd rather see Tesla make an electric minivan before the Model Y but obviously Elon builds what he wants to, not necessarily what the Ameritech surveys call for...

IMG_1152.jpg

At my local garage to get the winter tires put on; they have assured me that they have done this with several Tesla. All good from my side. After pulling in they didn't completely like how my S was positioned over the lift. As I was already out of the car, I motioned to one of them to just jump in and move it. "Keys?".... "You don't need them" (as I am standing next to the car). After jumping in he was searching on the steering column for how to start the car. "Step on the brake." Had to repeat that bit twice.

Only later was everything made clear - although they have changed several sets of tires, each time it was the owner who drove in and out. It was good for a chuckle...

That also told me that jack mode was not needed if the entire car is lifted up at once; anyone care to comment on this? I did show them how to put a Tesla into jack mode, just in case.

Reactions: hiroshiy
That also told me that jack mode was not needed if the entire car is lifted up at once; anyone care to comment on this? I did show them how to put a Tesla into jack mode, just in case.

I'd recommend jack mode for this situation (based on knowledge of air suspension, no first hand Tesla testing, YMMV, FWIW).

Reasoning:
The air suspension can raise the car by running the compression and adding air to the cylinders. It lowers by opening the exhaust valves and releasing some of the air. When the car is lifted, the wheels are going to hang down, which is away from the chassis, so the system thinks the ride height is too much.The car will try to correct this by releasing air, however, this does not cause the wheels to retract, so it keeps dumping trying to get the wheel closer to the chassis. Eventually, it gives up, but at that point there is little to no pressure in the cylinders. When the car is lowered on the lift, the vehicle will end up in super low ride height until the suspension starts up the compressor and refills the cylinders.
Overall effect depends on how much deflation the suspension allows and how quickly the vehicle is lowered.

In jack mode, the vehicle keeps the suspension as-is, so the ride height will be that same after being lowered as it was before. So go with jack, it can only be better.