Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Demon sacrifices everything to get that performance. The tires are barely street legal. As a car the P100D is a vastly better vehicle. I drove my S 100D around on the stock tires after a fairly substantial snow storm. It handled in the snow far better than any car I've ever driven. Dodge tells you not to even drive in the rain on the Demon's tires.

Yep, I have been "saluted" more than once for doing nothing more than driving an electric car. You are, however, correct. Bless Their Hearts is a fully appropriate comment.

By the way, if you get a wild hair and want to have a road trip, there is a Tesla Meetup next Saturday Morning at City Park in New Orleans. That goes for anyone else in the area, by the way.

Reactions: navguy12
I was 'coal rolled' today … again. It's just the price you must pay living in oil & gas country. I may or may not have seen "Oil Field Honey Spending Oil Field Money" bumper sticker through the black smoke and soot. Luckily, I was prepared in biohazard defense mode. ;)
I was coal rolled the same day. I doubt the truck knew he was doing it to an EV or he probably would have done it more than once while I was behind him.
Here's the video:

Ahhh, that southern charm.
There's the south, and then there's Michigan trying to join the south. I regularly see trucks undoubtedly capable of rolling coal (any other reason to install 6"+ wide pipes?) and occasionally see them do it. Even the weather's becoming southern-like, with a high of 92F today, and it's still only May. I used to live in Alabama and I don't remember as many coal rollers or reaching the 90's this early, but then again, I was pre-teen most of my time there and didn't keep track nearly as much as I do now.

Reactions: navguy12
I was coal rolled the same day. I doubt the truck knew he was doing it to an EV or he probably would have done it more than once while I was behind him.
Here's the video:

There's the south, and then there's Michigan trying to join the south. I regularly see trucks undoubtedly capable of rolling coal (any other reason to install 6"+ wide pipes?) and occasionally see them do it. Even the weather's becoming southern-like, with a high of 92F today, and it's still only May. I used to live in Alabama and I don't remember as many coal rollers or reaching the 90's this early, but then again, I was pre-teen most of my time there and didn't keep track nearly as much as I do now.

Sadly, I think that may have just been a cold/old/out of tune diesel accelerating.

Was in stop and go traffic on Interstate 95 North today around Fredericksburg, Va, when a family member told me that a car one lane over wanted to get into my lane, as the driver was motioning to me. I slowed down (we were only doing 30), the guy came up parallel to me and put his window down, so, I put the passenger window down - and then he says, "Does it drive smooth??"

I answered yes, but was thinking, he's crazy to be wanting to have a conversation like that, now. And then I sped up..

Reactions: hiroshiy
I offered to drive neighbors to a funeral service yesterday for one of the residents in my condo complex. One couple took us up on the offer. The funeral was held in a temple about 15 minutes' drive from the condo, all on local streets. The couple rode in the back of the Model S. The woman had had a short ride in the car a year or two before, but not the husband. My car was clean on the inside, but quite dirty on the outside from a steady fallout of pollen in the past week, plus some bird poop.

Neither of them could stop raving about the car! They commented on things I don't think about, such as how attractive they thought the rear surface of the front seats is, and how it looks practical and easy to clean. They found the rear seats comfortable (which astonishes me, because I think they are awful). They loved how smooth and quiet the car is (easy enough on the roads we happen to drive, at speeds no more than 35 or so), but personally I always find the ride a bit too harsh. They liked the glass roof over the back seat (the rear section of the panoramic sunroof) and liked the upholstery and interior finishes.

It takes an experience like that to help me realize how fortunate we are to have this car. It is so easy to get caught up in the imperfections and occasional failures (door handles come to mind), so I was glad to have my friends remind me of the sort of impression that drew me to this car in the first place.

The husband asked several questions about how much the electricity costs, which I could not answer very accurately off the top of my head. So I do need to have some statistics more readily available for people who ask.

@David29, depending on the cost of gasoline and the cost of electricity, when I run the numbers I'm paying about ⅓-½ for electricity compared to gas, even including the premium I pay for "fully renewable" electricity. I assume that I'm comparing against a premium ICE sedan at 25 mpg (IMHO, a generous estimate) using premium gas at typical local rates or just assuming say $3.50 or $4.00 per gallon.

Not to mention no oil, no oil change cost (I believe most drivers of premium automobiles do not change their own oil), no transmission fluid to check, no "warm up" time before driving, no waste, no vibration and no fumes when idling/stopped in traffic.

You can also run the numbers for your own car to see what it's costing you.

Alan

@David29, depending on the cost of gasoline and the cost of electricity, when I run the numbers I'm paying about ⅓-½ for electricity compared to gas, even including the premium I pay for "fully renewable" electricity. I assume that I'm comparing against a premium ICE sedan at 25 mpg (IMHO, a generous estimate) using premium gas at typical local rates or just assuming say $3.50 or $4.00 per gallon.

Not to mention no oil, no oil change cost (I believe most drivers of premium automobiles do not change their own oil), no transmission fluid to check, no "warm up" time before driving, no waste, no vibration and no fumes when idling/stopped in traffic.

You can also run the numbers for your own car to see what it's costing you.

Alan

Oh, I have tracked the numbers, I just could not recall them accurately on the spur of the moment.
And I envy you your relatively low rates for electricity. Here, we pay some of the highest rates in the USA. That, combined with the winter weather, means that my average cost for energy is equivalent to a gas car getting something like 25-30 mpg. In short, I am not saving money compared to a gas car. (Our electric rates went up in January, and the Time of Use Rate I had was eliminated then, so I do plan to update my costs soon.)

We went to a car show in Camas, WA on Saturday. My SO likes classic cars. It's a lot larger than I thought it would be. They close down the downtown. We parked at her office which is about 2 blocks from downtown and there was a McClaren parked there as we pulled in. As we were getting ready to trek up to the car show, a 1990s Ford GT pulled in and parked. I guess both arrived too late to enter into the car show, so they were parking on the periphery.

We looked around and got tired before seeing the whole thing. We were just leaving the chow area a couple of blocks up from where my car was parked and there was a guy looking in the windows of my car and checking it out. He mosied off before we got there so we didn't get a chance to talk to him. I thought it kind of funny he ignored the McClaren and the Ford GT to look at my Model S.

My car was the only electric I saw all day. I guess I was the interloper in the world of ICE.

My SO was having fond memories about a 1966 Chevelle we saw. A friend of hers had one back in the day and she wanted to buy it from him, but she never did. She insisted it was still fast by modern standards. It was fast off the line by 1960s standards, but I looked it up, only 5.5s 0-60. She had to admit my pedestrian S 90D was quicker.

The classic cars were kind of ho-hum. 64 Chevy? Grew up with several around the neighborhood. Some are nice restorations, but the look so primitive now. There were a few newer cars I had heard of but never seen including a Dodge Demon. That thing is ridiculous. Dodge sacrificed everything to make a P100D killer, but the P100D can come pretty close to matching it on a drag strip and is a regular everyday car you can take to Home Depot the next day, or take a road trip with no concern the car is going to become undrivable if it rains (the tires for the Demon are not allowed on wet pavement).

We were also both marveling at the massive size of older cars. I remember my grandfather's Chevy II was small at the time, but it seemed large by modern standards and most of the other 60s cars seemed even bigger. I did some size comparison when I got home and sure enough, my Model S is the smallest car I've ever driven on a regular basis (my first couple of cars were "mine" but technically owned by my parents). My first car was a 1967 Caprice which was not a little shy of 2 feet longer than my Model S, is was wider! How did we ever get those cars in our garages?

We were also both marveling at the massive size of older cars. I remember my grandfather's Chevy II was small at the time, but it seemed large by modern standards and most of the other 60s cars seemed even bigger. I did some size comparison when I got home and sure enough, my Model S is the smallest car I've ever driven on a regular basis (my first couple of cars were "mine" but technically owned by my parents). My first car was a 1967 Caprice which was not a little shy of 2 feet longer than my Model S, is was wider! How did we ever get those cars in our garages?

Wow. To me the Model S is giant. (Bigger car than I would want to own.)
Model 3 seems just about right to me.
It is interesting to me to hear from someone used to "giant old boat" cars who thinks the Model S is small.

Reactions: mblakele
You were a god in the 60's if you could produce a sub 6 second street car.

And now it's not that unusual. It is one area where times have changed, even for ICE. Fuel injection and the control computers help a lot.

It is interesting to me to hear from someone used to "giant old boat" cars who thinks the Model S is small.

I wouldn't call the Model S "small", but I am used to the size. My last two cars were a 1981 Impala and a 1992 Buick Roadmaster which were built on the same underlying platform. They both had the same wheelbase and about the same width as the Model S, but they were overall longer because there was more overhang between the wheels and bumpers. When I'm maneuvering in a parking lot and concerned I'm going to hit something, I have to remind myself the nose of my car is shorter in front of the wheels than what I'm used to.

Before the 81 Impala I had a couple of family hand-me-downs. The first was a 1967 Caprice that was a nice car to drive, but it was getting elderly by the time I got it. It had almost 200K miles on it by then. The next was a 1974 Caprice that was a horribly overloaded car. The wheelbase was 121 inches with an overall length 223 inches and the thing weighed over 4400 pounds empty. I didn't like that car, though I did get it up to 120 mph once.

My SO is thinking about a Model Y because she does think the Model S/X is way too big for her (and another car that expensive is out of our budget). Even though she had more cars than I did back in the day, she drove a lot of European imports. Her father owned a couple of dealerships in Portland that imported cars from Europe. As a teen she had a series of dealer cars like Fiats, MGs, and Saabs which were all tiny by American standards of the time. When she went out and bought a car for herself she bought a VW Bug and later a VW camper van she lived in for 6 months touring North America after college.

She said the camper van needed repairs on the trip and she did them herself. The most dramatic was needing to adjust the valves in a parking lot in North Carolina. She had to drop the engine for that one. Her college boyfriend who was also on the trip had some identity problems that his girlfriend could basically do any kind of car maintenance and he didn't know where the oil cap was.

She even thinks the Model 3 is a bit big for her tastes, but she could manage a car that size. She just doesn't like the sedan layout, she prefers either coupes or wagons/hatchbacks. She'd probably love a 2020 Roadster, though that's kind of out of the budget. At one point in her childhood she wanted to be a race car driver, but this was before there were any women race car drivers and her father talked her into pursuing something more intellectual. She is an excellent driver but she would probably get a lot of speeding tickets driving a Roadster.

Been running into more of the crowd that bought a used Model S in the last year. Lots of “reasonably” priced 2013-2014 MS with AP1 for sale from private party sellers out there. After doing a lot of research I felt the 2014 MS 85 AP1 was the best bang for the buck at $45K.

My discussions at SuCs and Tesla time around small town PA has gotten more interesting as slowly more Tesla’s are showing up in the area.

My wife was skeptical at first too. I bought my car after test drives and many Service Center visits. She drove it to prove it sucked...but she loved single pedal driving, the instant torque and two screen interface. The fact that we pay less than 1/2 the cost of gas for electricity has her driving it as often as possible.

She insists on getting an X in 2019 and is now a bigger EV evangelist than I am. LOL.

I am also someone who remembers those giant old boat cars. We had a 1970s Thunderbird and later a Lincoln Continental that was like a land yacht. However… It's got to be said, they were no less egregious than the gigantic, hulking pickup trucks I see everywhere today.

I am also someone who remembers those giant old boat cars. We had a 1970s Thunderbird and later a Lincoln Continental that was like a land yacht. However… It's got to be said, they were no less egregious than the gigantic, hulking pickup trucks I see everywhere today.

Yup, the full sized pickup has replaced the full sized car for the most part.

That moment when your self-parking works perfectly....

My spouse and I visited my son and his wife at their home in South Philadelphia this past weekend. Streets in their neighborhood are one way and very narrow, with parking on both sides, leaving room for one driving lane. We had been out for the afternoon and had taken the Model S. When we returned to their home, I was driving and found a curb space a short distance from their front door. The space was sufficient but tight, and another car was not far behind us as I came to a stop to reverse into the space. I had in mind that it would be nice to use the self-parking, both to help ensure the car was parked correctly and to "show off" a bit. Sure enough, the "P" popped up on the screen and I pressed the Start button. The car parked smoothly and quickly, with no hesitation and no extra maneuvers. Centered between the two adjacent cars, proper spacing to the curb. Nice!

And now it's not that unusual. It is one area where times have changed, even for ICE. Fuel injection and the control computers help a lot.

I wouldn't call the Model S "small", but I am used to the size. My last two cars were a 1981 Impala and a 1992 Buick Roadmaster which were built on the same underlying platform. They both had the same wheelbase and about the same width as the Model S, but they were overall longer because there was more overhang between the wheels and bumpers. When I'm maneuvering in a parking lot and concerned I'm going to hit something, I have to remind myself the nose of my car is shorter in front of the wheels than what I'm used to.

Before the 81 Impala I had a couple of family hand-me-downs. The first was a 1967 Caprice that was a nice car to drive, but it was getting elderly by the time I got it. It had almost 200K miles on it by then. The next was a 1974 Caprice that was a horribly overloaded car. The wheelbase was 121 inches with an overall length 223 inches and the thing weighed over 4400 pounds empty. I didn't like that car, though I did get it up to 120 mph once.

My SO is thinking about a Model Y because she does think the Model S/X is way too big for her (and another car that expensive is out of our budget). Even though she had more cars than I did back in the day, she drove a lot of European imports. Her father owned a couple of dealerships in Portland that imported cars from Europe. As a teen she had a series of dealer cars like Fiats, MGs, and Saabs which were all tiny by American standards of the time. When she went out and bought a car for herself she bought a VW Bug and later a VW camper van she lived in for 6 months touring North America after college.

She said the camper van needed repairs on the trip and she did them herself. The most dramatic was needing to adjust the valves in a parking lot in North Carolina. She had to drop the engine for that one. Her college boyfriend who was also on the trip had some identity problems that his girlfriend could basically do any kind of car maintenance and he didn't know where the oil cap was.

She even thinks the Model 3 is a bit big for her tastes, but she could manage a car that size. She just doesn't like the sedan layout, she prefers either coupes or wagons/hatchbacks. She'd probably love a 2020 Roadster, though that's kind of out of the budget. At one point in her childhood she wanted to be a race car driver, but this was before there were any women race car drivers and her father talked her into pursuing something more intellectual. She is an excellent driver but she would probably get a lot of speeding tickets driving a Roadster.
Is she considering getting the upcoming VW ID Buzz?
idbuzz_vwcamper_01.jpg

:D