Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our son is learning to drive (not yet allowed to drive our S) and while he was driving us home from a family camping trip in the Leaf, I was reading aloud some of posts in this forum. We discussed the joys and perils of driving and then had the perfect demonstration of what we expect: on the other side of the street was a pretty new S stopped at a light with a newer BMW right next to it. Frisky BMW wanted to play & took off at the green. Tesla driver didn't take the bait; she accelerated smoothly and kept it at the speed limit. (Was probably smiling to herself about what she *could* do if she had really wanted to; I know I do!)

Message to son: just because you can dust someone, doesn't mean you do it. Knowing what you and your tools are capable of is not the same as showing off. And when it comes down to it, the Leaf (when not in ECO mode) could surprise people off the line...but we're not going to advertise it on a public street.

If he builds his skills and hones his reaction times and eventually wants to do performance driving, we can talk about safer options....

Our son is learning to drive (not yet allowed to drive our S) and while he was driving us home from a family camping trip in the Leaf, I was reading aloud some of posts in this forum. We discussed the joys and perils of driving and then had the perfect demonstration of what we expect: on the other side of the street was a pretty new S stopped at a light with a newer BMW right next to it. Frisky BMW wanted to play & took off at the green. Tesla driver didn't take the bait; she accelerated smoothly and kept it at the speed limit. (Was probably smiling to herself about what she *could* do if she had really wanted to; I know I do!)

Message to son: just because you can dust someone, doesn't mean you do it. Knowing what you and your tools are capable of is not the same as showing off. And when it comes down to it, the Leaf (when not in ECO mode) could surprise people off the line...but we're not going to advertise it on a public street.

If he builds his skills and hones his reaction times and eventually wants to do performance driving, we can talk about safer options....
Suite yourself, I'll smoke that bmw any day

Reminds me of one of my favorite sayings: civilization is knowing the difference between what is possible and what is desirable.

There have been many mature and considered posts lately, and I applaud you (plural) for your wisdom.

I am not a smart man.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: dedicatedtek
Well, with all the smart and mature posts above...I'll switch it up a bit...

I was driving back from Atlanta yesterday and I stopped in the Virginia Welcome center rest stop to use the facilities. I get back to my car and I'm getting ready to back up and head out to the highway and this guy (mid 20s?) and is dad tap on my window. I roll it down and he looks in at me and says "Can you launch this thing?" I parked near the end of the lot, so there weren't any cars between me and the highway, so I said "sure". I back it up a little further, and he's holding up his phone taking a video. I ask if he's ready, then I floor it and zip out of there at a fairly rapid pace (uh, but well below the speed limit of the parking lot, if any LEO is reading this). I look back and all I see is his jaw dropped, holding is phone, waving, as I left them behind.

Just doing my part to bring a little joy to the people!

SRT drivers are are THE MOST COMPETITIVE (and aggressive) bozos on the road, IME.
(That's in Australia, of course.)

No worries digger! Aggressive Idiots also exist up here in Canada. Stuff someone with a small brain and tiny ego into an over powered petrol guzzler and you have an accident waiting to happen tearing up the roads beyond where Burke and Wills would have ventured.

Err rooo mate! (Translation for readers in the US of eH! an Aussie form of catch you later pal)

Our son is learning to drive (not yet allowed to drive our S) and while he was driving us home from a family camping trip in the Leaf
...snip, snip....

Nice to see "responsible parenting" still exists in this world. Well done sir.

I do not have a Performance model, but I keep my "X" in Chill mode for 98% of my driving. I reserve "Standard" for those times I need Falcon like acceleration to join a fast moving stream on a busy day.

Again congrats on teaching your now not so young youngster (they do grow up too fast), on how to use an automobile responsibly .

Every so often, even in the Tesla-land that is the SF Bay Area, I get a surprise. Just backed my Model S into a parking space at work, pulled my backpack and lunchbox out of the frunk like I do every day. I hear a guy yelling to me from across the parking lot, "Your car has a trunk in the front?!?" This started a 10 minute conversation about how much storage the Model S has, and how being electric leaves a bunch more interior space because there's no ICE, transmission, etc.

If any non-Tesla person asks me, I put my stuff in the frunk because it's easier to get to when I back into parking spaces, also it's marginally more secure (or at least more obscure) than the trunk. But another reason is to spark conversations like that.

Bruce.

Hmm.. I have never even opened the frunk in my 3 years of driving Teslas. Not once, except when the sales guy showed me how to open and close when I picked it up.
I sure hope they didn't leave you a surprise package of brownies in there!

I use mine all the time. It's convenient when backing in, keeps smelly things away from the cabin, also keeps cooler when the car's in the sun.
Occasionally will still spark up a conversation too.

Hmm.. I have never even opened the frunk in my 3 years of driving Teslas. Not once, except when the sales guy showed me how to open and close when I picked it up.
I use it for stuff I want with me, but that I don't want in my way: Car cover (I attract hail storms), UMC on long trips, tire patch kit, pub glasses for local breweries, etc.