Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
*citation needed* (Who?)
Go to any parking lot in the US. Count the number of cars parked nose-in and cars backed-in. Come back and tell us the results.

Or you can even Google images of some big parking lot near airports.

Sky is blue doesn't need citation. Just go out and look at the sky.

Here is one for you: I count zero cars backed-in
sliderimg5.jpg

Last edited:
In an attempt to get back on topic and appease @bmah , I was at a party last night and 70+ friend comes over specifically to tell me about his experience riding in his friend’s model 3. I have talked at length about EVs and renewables, given him rides in my 2011 Leaf, but he’s older generation and couldn’t believe that the future will change that much. Well, after his ride in the 3, he went on and on about that big floating screen on the dash, the smooth, quiet ride, and the amazing acceleration, etc. So, to point, every Tesla on the street is the best marketing device ever!

Oh, and @Electroman needs to take a closer look at his picture. I count one in 1st row, 3 in 3rd row, 5-6 in 4th row, .... well, technically most of those are trucks, minivans, or SUVs

Most people can't even pull into a parking spot nose-first without hitting the Tesla in the next spot. Source: the two assholes who hit my car in parking lots.

FWIW, I usually don't back in at the airport, because I need to get luggage out of the trunk and don't want another car in the way.

• Funny
Reactions: chr147
Go to any parking lot in the US. Count the number of cars parked nose-in and cars backed-in. Come back and tell us the results.

Or you can even Google images of some big parking lot near airports.

Sky is blue doesn't need citation. Just go out and look at the sky.

Here is one for you: I count zero cars backed-in
sliderimg5.jpg
While your larger point stands, I quickly counted multiple backed-in cars in this image, starting with the prominent white pickup in the lower-left corner.

Reactions: chr147 and pvogel
  • Love
  • Funny
Reactions: Pollux and LoL Rick
Love it!!! I would add a switch - sensitive to light - so it only runs when Frunk is opened. And maybe another Hamster nearby sitting in a small easy chair (on break).

I like the easy chair. Maybe that'll be this year's upgrade.

The switch is actually going to be rather annoying to implement - of those are the same as my hamsters (they look like it,) all the electronics are entirely internal to the rodent side, so you'd need to integrate the photocell into the rodent while making it look natural or put some kind of wireless control in, which would eat power itself even with the hood closed.

I like the easy chair. Maybe that'll be this year's upgrade.

The switch is actually going to be rather annoying to implement - of those are the same as my hamsters (they look like it,) all the electronics are entirely internal to the rodent side, so you'd need to integrate the photocell into the rodent while making it look natural or put some kind of wireless control in, which would eat power itself even with the hood closed.

Small motion activated are out there like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Brilliant-Ev...ted+light+aaa&qid=1561950615&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Maybe the wiring of the frunk is different for different versions. My 2016 refresh has a light in it that turns on when you open the frunk.

@Gray468 That other no-cost access to Toronto is actually on the south side of Quebec! I guess you were trying to get to Comber, which we used just about 2 days ago. To get to Ontario from Detroit, you do have to take either the Ambassador Bridge or the tunnel which will both take you to Windsor.

Save travels!

@Mr Plugshare
Thank you! This was July 2017. I shared the pics with Tesla and who knows if it got any attention. I suggested they review their software’s definition of “Avoid Tolls”. An 1100 mile detour to avoid a $5 toll may be a little over the top.

I suspect even if they paid attention they would have shrugged and invited me to alert google.... isn’t that where they get their navigation from?

@Mr Plugshare
Thank you! This was July 2017. I shared the pics with Tesla and who knows if it got any attention. I suggested they review their software’s definition of “Avoid Tolls”. An 1100 mile detour to avoid a $5 toll may be a little over the top.

I suspect even if they paid attention they would have shrugged and invited me to alert google.... isn’t that where they get their navigation from?

If I set the car to avoid tolls and it takes me to a toll, I'll be very annoyed.

This is where the car needs to give more feedback, maybe - tell you there are tools on every crossing except this one that's five hundred miles away so you can make an intelligent decision.

If I set the car to avoid tolls and it takes me to a toll, I'll be very annoyed.

This is where the car needs to give more feedback, maybe - tell you there are tools on every crossing except this one that's five hundred miles away so you can make an intelligent decision.
They'll get to that, right after waypoints, any day now. :rolleyes: But we can wish.
I had a similar experience going from Charleston, WV to Wytheville, VA. Because I had "avoid tolls" on, it would have taken me on single-lane secondary roads, hours out of my way, in the mountains, in Appalachia, at night, and without enough charge to reach my destination. The alternative was a few dollars of tolls on a four-lane highway straight shot. Hmm, let me think about that...
The other side of the coin is that here in Houston, the toll roads would save me at most 5 minutes if they're not backed up due to an accident (which is not infrequent). Many times, I can just take feeder roads and it's virtually the same mileage and only a few minutes longer.
I would like a setting of "avoid tolls except when that takes more than X miles or Y minutes", kind of like how traffic avoidance works now.

Ya see? This is the problem with computers trying to help people: people are always going around asking for things they don't actually want, and when you give it to them, are they grateful? Nooooooooo! They're all "you should have known what a really meant", and "sure, I said I wanted ... but any reasonable person would know I really meant .....". Sheesh, people! ;)

@Mr Plugshare

I thought Tesla broke with Google a year or more back. I may have misremembered though.

There are two ways to fix this: on the screen where the user selects whether they want to avoid tolls or not, they could put a threshhold, ie avoid tolls if the added distance is less than x. The other way would have a pop up before selecting the route that tells the driver how many miles the route avoiding tolls will add and ask them which route they want to take.

I do wonder with all the issues Tesla has with these sorts of things how they think they're going to get self driving right anytime soon. I haven't driven an AP2 car, but Youtuber Ben Sullins has an AP1 X and AP2 Model 3 and he said the AP 1 is still better than AP 2 in his opinion. Though I have seen other people here say that AP2 finally caught up and got a bit better over the last year.

Reactions: navguy12
I thought Tesla broke with Google a year or more back. I may have misremembered though.

There are two ways to fix this: on the screen where the user selects whether they want to avoid tolls or not, they could put a threshhold, ie avoid tolls if the added distance is less than x. The other way would have a pop up before selecting the route that tells the driver how many miles the route avoiding tolls will add and ask them which route they want to take.

I do wonder with all the issues Tesla has with these sorts of things how they think they're going to get self driving right anytime soon. I haven't driven an AP2 car, but Youtuber Ben Sullins has an AP1 X and AP2 Model 3 and he said the AP 1 is still better than AP 2 in his opinion. Though I have seen other people here say that AP2 finally caught up and got a bit better over the last year.

I can't speak about AP2. But AP3 (which I think is still using the AP2 neural networks adapted to the new hardware,) is miles and miles better than AP1.

It reads cars sooner and reacts to them much earlier and smoother, it responds to cut ins better, it almost never misreads a road, and it can negotiate hairpin turns on mountain roads with no issues. It even does zipper merges smoothly and well, if conservatively.

It's not perfect. The biggest bad habit it has IMHO is it aggressively centers itself in the lane when the lane widens, including merges. This results in the car sliding half out of the lane at most onramps and then back in. Not dangerous, but undesirable and annoying. It seems like 20.4.2 has reduced this tendency some, but it is still there.

It also tends to freak out and try to vigorously abort a lane change when something unexpected comes up in the middle, like the lane it is moving on to widening because of an onramp.

The other annoying thing is an extreme sensitivity to side swiping while overtaking. If the car in the next lane slides towards you at all or looks at you funny as you're approaching to pass, you get a braking event as the car tries to avoid getting hit. Oddly, it isn't nearly as paranoid if they are passing you.

I haven't really seen the oft discussed phantom braking, unless the braking while overtaking counts.

• Informative
Reactions: Pollux and navguy12
I too, have had my TESLA moments. The desk clerk / manager of a motel in Montana asked for my Make and Model and when I said Tesla he replied that that was enough, "We do not get too many Teslas. Can I look at it?" I took him for a short ride and he was thrilled. Then he told me that he needed to get right back because his wife was due to deliver their third child, a BOY. All other attributes aside, my Tesla "Trigger" is a wonderful personal ambassador and door opener.

In reference to the above post about using the trunk I would add that I put "Emergency" supplies including a SLIME kit and an air bed with a built-in 12v pump, first aid kit and safety triangle. I guess I am just a 78 year old Boy Scout rememberi9ng to "Be Prepared"