Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Virtual disagree:
If you do that you'll come back to find cars parked right next to yours (so I've heard).
Not in my experience, although parking lots are never full where I live so that helps. I've been "defensive parking" my S ever since I got it. I especially like end-of-row spots where I can nudge over to the end and leave a big gap with the space on the other side. So far, so good!

Where I live parking spaces tend to be big, to accommodate the huge trucks and brontosaurus-class SUVs most people drive, so that helps. I really dislike city parking garages with compact-car size spaces. We don't have that here.

Reactions: Polly Wog
In my experience that's rare, b
Not in my experience,

Oh, it happens! It's happened with my Tesla a few times, but it happened ALL THE FREAKING TIME with my Delorean. I'd park it way way WAY out in the back of a parking lot, with dozens and dozens of empty spaces around my car... and I'd come back, and some asshat would be parked RIGHT NEXT TO my car. Not even leaving one empty space between cars, but in the very next spot. I could never figure it out. Sure, if someone wants to go check it out and park near it, fine....but why would they ALWAYS take the adjacent spot?

As an aside, I've noticed people seem to bang doors into other cars less than they used to. Years ago I had people open doors into my car when I was sitting in it, but my SO's 2013 Subaru has no door dings and neither does my 2016 Model S. I've been careful not to open my door into other cars for years (though I did bump another car with my S's car door once when the door slipped out of my hand when I was opening it), but people seem to be more courteous now. At least around here.

Now rock dings from the freeway is something else. Washington has weak load covering laws (the first Tesla fire was caused by some junk falling off a truck in Kent, WA). I don't know if it's true now, but at one time Washington had the most wind sheild replacement claims per capita in the US.

As an aside, I've noticed people seem to bang doors into other cars less than they used to. Years ago I had people open doors into my car when I was sitting in it, but my SO's 2013 Subaru has no door dings and neither does my 2016 Model S. I've been careful not to open my door into other cars for years (though I did bump another car with my S's car door once when the door slipped out of my hand when I was opening it), but people seem to be more courteous now. At least around here.
I think it's hard to know whether things have changed. I don't deal with the shenanigans of finding a safe parking spot, and I haven't had any door dings. However, I was once waiting in a parking lot in Glen Ellen, CA. I was in the car with my son waiting for my wife to get out of the grocery store, and watched a guy in an enormous pickup truck get out, hit my mirror with his door, and not even blink. Then he returned before my wife did, proceeded to repeat his mirror slamming move, to which I threw my hands up at him. He looked at me, smiled and nodded politely, as if I were just waving, and drove off. No damage to the mirror, but boy did he hit it hard both times.

It's a good way to get more steps. Keeps me in shape. Not sure how good it is for my marriage though.
My wife is very understanding and doesn't mind me parking way out. It does become a problem when I park, decide the spot is not "dingless" enough, and then pull out and continue hunting for a better place. I get two of those a day before friendly conversation starts to slack off. Thankfully we have cabin overheat protection, because adding "shadier spot" into the mix made things worse.

Was at the dry cleaners yesterday. Had just put cleaned clothes on the parcel shelf in trunk. Walked past another car as I went to get into driver’s seat. Lady was staring at me and the car, from her car as she was about to pull out. Of course I thought she was admiring my car. As I get in I see the display shows the trunk lid is up (face palm). Hop out, adjust hangers so the trunk lid will close and walk back. Lady says, “I wondered if you’d noticed? Is that a Tesla?” I said, “Thank God for having a smart car.”

Was at the dry cleaners yesterday. Had just put cleaned clothes on the parcel shelf in trunk. Walked past another car as I went to get into driver’s seat. Lady was staring at me and the car, from her car as she was about to pull out. Of course I thought she was admiring my car. As I get in I see the display shows the trunk lid is up (face palm). Hop out, adjust hangers so the trunk lid will close and walk back. Lady says, “I wondered if you’d noticed? Is that a Tesla?” I said, “Thank God for having a smart car.”
If only you had the power close option!

If only you had the power close option!

Doesn’t work when the hangers stick out, which is where @aesculus idea comes in. Notwithstanding that I have been known to be a distracted individual from time to time and ignored little things like power close or more importantly looking at the rear camera when backing up. Fortunately I’ve inflicted enough pain with the latter to hopefully cure that from reoccurring. But I like the idea of a smart car for when I am not.

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
A Tesla-owning neighbor/friend and I were walking up the street and we passed the local Volvo dealer. I suddenly remembered seeing a classic nosed Tesla MS there and did an about face to look for it. Found the dealer getting into the back seat after putting the temp tag on the back, and my friend and I asked if he’d sold it. Turns out 2 guys were just getting ready for a test drive and so my friend and I poked our heads in “you will never go back to an ICE” “here’s how you look at the energy graph” “check out how the map shows you where to charge” “range anxiety is a myth” “you’ll love regen” “make sure you merge onto the highway so you can punch it, but be careful” ... I started feeling sorry for the Volvo dealer guy...

Just stumbled across this bit:

I kept my 1992 Buick for 24 years because I couldn't find anything I thought was a better car. The electronics changed a lot, but cargo capacity actually went down, gas mileage did not really improve. . .

Not sure what Buick model you had, but your description reminds me of my 1995 Pontiac Bonneville SE that I had for more than 20 years, and I really bonded with. After ten years, after fifteen years, I was looking at the reviews and specs of new cars and shaking my head. "Why haven't they gotten any better? My Pontiac is still running strong."

Just stumbled across this bit:

Not sure what Buick model you had, but your description reminds me of my 1995 Pontiac Bonneville SE that I had for more than 20 years, and I really bonded with. After ten years, after fifteen years, I was looking at the reviews and specs of new cars and shaking my head. "Why haven't they gotten any better? My Pontiac is still running strong."

I had a Roadmaster which was built on the same platform as the late 1970s Chevy Caprice/Impala and 1980s Bonneville. It had a 5.7L V-8 and had the same wheelbase and width as a Model S, though it was longer. The drive train was still in prime shape when I sold the car. I got the extra cooling package for towing and I think that made a difference, the temperature gauge never went about 180F. The seats also still looked new when I sold it.