Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
- At the Chick-fil-A drive-thru tonight, the two teenage boys working the window both asked, "What kind of car is that?" After a few minutes of open-mouthed ogling, the comments were, "That car is beautimus," and "I've got to get me one of those."

- Pulling into the parking lot to get (what's left of) my hair cut, I ended up sitting in the car for a couple of minutes writing a text message. When I got out, three guys from a mortgage company that shares the same lot were waiting for me and had tons of questions. Ended up being about 15 minutes late for my appointment because of "Tesla Time," but these guys were absolutely thrilled. One of them told me, "We drive BMWs and Mercedes at our company, but this blows them away!"

- Took my son to his first day of Kindergarten a couple of weeks back and let him ride in the jump seats. On the way there, I looked into the rear-view mirror and saw a guy in an SUV behind us at a stop light taking a picture of my son in the "trunk." The look on the guy's face was priceless.

Just some of the more recent "Tesla Moments created here in Tennessee." ;-)

People don't give me a second glance on the SF Peninsula...

But last Friday night I went into the city to go to dinner with a friend visiting from out of town. As I was parked on Union Square waiting, I was getting a LOT of attention from out of town tourists both from the US and abroad. Tesla should add a "roving showroom" driving around tourist destinations and hotels.:smile:
Funny how 40 miles away can make a huge difference. I still get tesla moments everyday, but i think a few people around town have gotten used to us. The gate guards on base seem to take bets on who will have us in their line every morning, or at least the disappointment in the other guy is usually visibly noticeable. I had a loaner one day, and the next day when I was back in my car again, I got asked "wait, do you have a black one too?!"

So far I've gotten a handful of grins and thumbs-up, one cell phone photo taken from a BMW stopped behind me at a light that I caught in my rear-view mirror, and one naive "What kind of car is that?" -- "Tesla Model S" -- "Who makes it?" -- "Tesla, they're based in California"...

And some of my co-workers can't get over the fact that I drove it from DC to Pittsburgh -- for work -- twice in a week for a total of ~1,000 miles.

But today I was especially amused at a "Tesla moment" on the phone. I was signing up for my power company's Home+EV pricing plan, and the rep asked me what kind of car I have. Her reply when I told her it was a Model S: "Wow. Pardon me while I drool."

I'm still not used to this, coming from a 2004 Mazda 6 wagon. :)

I just had a Tesla moment where I was the bystander. Today, I stressed out but finally relented and gave my MS over to a valet. I literally sat in my car for about 5 minutes at a metered spot, trying to decide should I take the street parking or use the valet. I had to valet since street parking was limited to 2 hours and I was at a meeting for likely 4 hours and couldn't realistically come out and move the car (in Vancouver you're not allowed to extend beyond 2h even if you pay by phone, etc).

Anyhow, it's a bit surreal to see your own car being driven as I'm the only driver. As I got out, a guy walking by joked "Nice car but it's sure noisy! " A couple others stopped in their tracks and peered inside it. The valet played it cool and said he's comfortable with Teslas, so I gave it over.

Later on after the meeting, as I was waiting outside to get the car, I decided to see what the Tesla app looks like when someone's driving (I never bothered to look). To my delight, the app actually shows an inset speedometer with the power and regen dials all updating in real time, with the map moving with the car. I showed a bunch of people from the meeting who we're waiting for their cars and all were amazed they could watch the car as it drove from the lot right up to our curb. I've never seen that before. I could truly verify the valet didn't go nuts with it.

It was dark and it was great to see the car driving up all lit up and gorgeous. It sure made a different presence than when I only get to see the occasional passing Tesla while I'm driving. Lots of wows as it pulled up.

fun!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1381297729.321848.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1381297729.321848.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 3,601
I think it partially fits here. Got my CoC from Tesla on Thursday (had requested it because the local subsistence provider required it for approval as this is the first Tesla that is requesting the government subsidy in Estonia). So I decided to venture also to the local DMV equivalent to see if I can get the cars type registered based on the CoC (all EU countries require the EU CoC and based on that make a local registration of the body/engine type). So called the info line and asked my question on registering the body type, they transferred me to technical department secretary, who said ok this is a bit exotic let me transfer you to the assistant manager.

So the assistant manager answered in a bored voice. I told him I'd need a body type registration and that I have the EU CoC in an e-mail. He then droned asking me what car and model that is for that it's needed. Mentioned Tesla Model S to him and the world changed. The obvious change in his voice showed that he probably jerked upright in his chair with eyes ablaze and a huge grin on his face. He excitedly said that he'd be extremely happy to help and that I should just send the CoC over e-mail to him and that he'd take care of the rest, no need for me to worry about a thing. He then proceeded to ask a ton of questions about how I ordered it, wether the local subsidy is given for Tesla and congratulating me tens of times over the phonecall :)

I decided to also use the moment to my advantage and investigated how the registration is going to be when the MS arrives on a flatbed and if I can just ask it to be dropped off at the DMV and somehow organize that it's inspected and registered the same day. He said that of course this can be organized and if it's a one row flatbed truck we don't even need to offload it, they can do the initial check on it while it's still on the truck and then get all the paperwork organized so that I can have the license plates and registration the same day immediately. That's excellent news for me because I know that there is always a huge queue for registrations so getting it guaranteed on the same day is tough especially as there's got to be a mandatory inspection of new vehicles etc. But it seems that getting to see a Tesla is going to be so exciting for all involved that the assistant manager is going to get me through the paces at an excellent time :D

So now all I have to do is just wait for Tesla to actually build the car and ship it to me :D In any case I'm pleasantly surprised how many common people know about the car even though most have misconceptions about it or not quit realize how revolutionary it is, but I do get questions from total strangers about my car purchase ;) Look what happens when you constantly write about the purchase experience on Facebook, friends of friends of friends hear about it and then at odd moments investigate :D

• Informative
Reactions: ReddykwRun
I held an event for EVs a couple weeks ago for middle schoolers in my area. Tesla Minneapolis was kind enough to provide a car. 75 kids came and all got rides in the Model S. The looks on their faces were priceless! Almost half of them said they are going to save all their pennies and buy one when they get old enough, or tell their parents to get one. It is so great seeing the realization on their faces that "electric cars are really cool!" Our future is safe!

The family and I were driving yesterday, going out to dinner. We got behind a dodge charger that had three younger girls (about 8-10 years old) in the back. All of the sudden all the little girls turned around and were looking at us or should I say the car. It was quite funny because they kept turning around the whole time we were behind them. We kept waving back and forth. Well after 5 miles we finally got up next to them and they rolled down their window and said "we love your car"!! We all laughed and smiled!

Finally got a Tesla moment. Got out of the car in the Publix parking lot and found a guy (probably late 30’s) staring at the back end of the car with his mouth open. I walked over to him and he greeted me with "holy sh--! My brother in law knows I have stock in the company and that I'm hoping to get one in the future but I had never seen one and he said that there are none in these parts and that I'd have to go to Miami to see one. And now here it is!" Needless to say, the subsequent conversation was, I hope, an informative one for him.

@caddieo

I can understand what happened to you. Same thing happened to me when I saw first time for real the Model S in Rome. One thing is to see the Model S in pictures. Then it's completely different to see the Model S for real. The Model S is really a beautiful car.

I took a road trip this week in my Model S85, from the SF Bay Area to Las Vegas and back. One of the cool things I did in Vegas was to drive a McLaren MP4-12C supercar on the Las Vegas Motor Speedway road track. What fun!
The McLaren MP4-12C - Dream Racing

Dream Racing had a row of supercars lined up in front of their building -- a Ferrari 458, McLaren MP4-12C, Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera, Ferrari F430GT, Nissan GT-R, and Audi R8 V10. I was closer to the track watching the cars zoom by, when I looked back and saw a half dozen Dream Racing customers circled around my Model S85, checking it out. At that moment, none of the customers were looking at the supercars parked nearby. I am kicking myself for not getting a photo of that Tesla moment.

• Funny
Reactions: ReddykwRun
Dream Racing had a row of supercars lined up in front of their building -- a Ferrari 458, McLaren MP4-12C, Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera, Ferrari F430GT, Nissan GT-R, and Audi R8 V10. I was closer to the track watching the cars zoom by, when I looked back and saw a half dozen Dream Racing customers circled around my Model S85, checking it out. At that moment, none of the customers were looking at the supercars parked nearby. I am kicking myself for not getting a photo of that Tesla moment.
Thanks for the story nonetheless!

Finally got a Tesla moment. Got out of the car in the Publix parking lot and found a guy (probably late 30’s) staring at the back end of the car with his mouth open. I walked over to him and he greeted me with "holy sh--! My brother in law knows I have stock in the company and that I'm hoping to get one in the future but I had never seen one and he said that there are none in these parts and that I'd have to go to Miami to see one. And now here it is!" Needless to say, the subsequent conversation was, I hope, an informative one for him.

Well, there was another one almost registered to the Daytona area, however, tesla couldn't figure out how since we took factory delivery and we keep it in California.

with the supercharger in port orange... You wouldn't have to go that far to see one...

On Friday I was down in Torrance (Los Angeles) at the Southcoast Botanical Garden, killing time in the parking lot before meeting for dinner, reading feeds on the web with the window rolled down. Man and woman walk to their car. He goes "Wow, look at that, a TESLA!" She "What?" "It's all electric" "Who makes it?" "Tesla" "No, what is the manufacturer" "It's its own thing, Teals is the manufacturer, they are based in northern California. The stock is the hottest thing this year".

I am still surprised how many people do not recognize a Tesla, even in Southern California, one of the hotbeds of the car. At the California Native Plant Society sale where I volunteer, plenty of eco-minded people around. Several people noticed that it was something odd, but did not recognize it as a MS.

But then, in summer, was in the vicinity of Palo Alto in a national forest at the ranger station. A couple of college kids in some beater, and they give me the "cool ride" nod. I'm always surprised who recognizes it, and who does not.

Fun was also the teenager in the passenger seat of a fat MB driven by mom near tony Calabasses, twisting his neck out on the freeway ogling the car, looking sad.

At the gas station today (I had to buy dinner... A sandwich for while flying) some local California construction workers noticed and asked while I was checking out "is that your car out there", "the white one, yeah, that's mine", "how expensive was it", "uh, not cheap", "see I told you it was a $200,000 car, right, it was $200,000 wasn't it".... "Uh, not nearly that expensive".

So today I had been ICEd in my own parking spot. So I called the cops to have the idiot towed. While we were waiting for the tow truck to arrive and I was temporarily going to my office to pick up some of my stuff my friend told me the cops had shown interest in the car so I went and asked if they'd like to see the car more up close :) They did :) Here's a pic my friend snapped while I was going over all the details of the car (range, comfort, etc) :)

546010_684501034915111_654742043_n.jpg

Oh the tow truck finally arrived and they towed the idiot away and I got to go home ~1h 45min after initially planned :(

haha, my boss has been constantly asking why the heck do I want a car that costs so so much and has been in general on the negative side. Today we took a ride together to a meeting and the first time I started from a traffic light to 60km/h in just a few seconds of smooth Tesla acceleration and he has the Tesla grin and was giggling :)

haha, my boss has been constantly asking why the heck do I want a car that costs so so much and has been in general on the negative side. Today we took a ride together to a meeting and the first time I started from a traffic light to 60km/h in just a few seconds of smooth Tesla acceleration and he has the Tesla grin and was giggling :)

Did the experience change his questions and comments subsequently? Just curious.