Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last weekend I was driving past one of the local 'good' grocery stores and passed a younger male with a daughter around junior highschool age. He pointed and I could see him say 'nice car'. I was smiling and looked over / back in my mirror as I passed and the girl was jumping up and down, flailing her arms and kicking her feet and screaming Tesla Tesla Tesla!

It made my day + I was listening to standup comedy so I was already laughing :biggrin:

The other day I took my son to a sports game. As we were walking away from my car another car pulled up and a family got out. As we were walking my son turned around and said "Dad, they are taking a picture of your car!"

Another day I happened to be parked near both an Audi R8 and a Nissan GTR. Took some pictures and showed my son who likes cars. He smiled and said to me "Dad, I bet they were taking pictures of your car and showing their kids!"

Went to the airport to pick up daughter and son in law for their holiday visit, wife and another daughter in the car, along for the ride and greetings. Lots of luggage so some went in the trunk, some in the frunk. Two women in the next car at the pickup area came over when they saw the hood go up and luggage go in, asking "where is the engine?" Daughter says "there isn't one! It's electric." I say "well there's a motor between the rear wheels." They marvel at the lack of engine, gas or tailpipes. Fun!

Relayed via my father...whose friend has a Model S (I'm a few weeks away from ordering mine):

My father's friend takes my father to the Giants/Eagles game at the Meadowlands. They are driving through the parking lot...side note: my Dad commented how difficult this was since no one could HEAR the car coming! They had their windows down (to call out to people to move out of the way) when a pack of Eagles fans scream out: "Hey! Your team sucks!!! But your car rocks!!!"

Anything that can bring an Eagles fan to give a compliment to a Giants fan is a truly remarkable product!

Gas station clerk was really curious this morning (I had to buy breakfast and lunch before my flight). I guess he doesn't get to see them very often in his line of work.

then going to dinner tonight, there were only four open spots in the back of the lot that looked safe.... And there was a sheriff car parked next to them too. As I attempted to park next to the Sherrif marked car (I don't trust that parking lot) I noticed a lot of broken glass in the stall I was going to park in. I shifted over a couple spots to avoid the glass. Then as I got out, so did he (had no clue he was in there). As hard as I tried, I couldn't voice my concern over the number of spots that had glad strewn throughout them (a lot of busted out windows there evidently) because he was too enthusiastic about seeing the car. I gave him a good tour.

Over the weekend, I went to Fry's Electronics. Immediately upon parking I was peppered with questions by another customer. Upon my return to the car, a Leaf owner was waiting for me. He didn't have any questions other than wanting to know if I might be willing to allow a test drive in the Tesla in exchange for a test drive in his Leaf. Leafs are boring! I think that I sold another a Tesla.

- - - Updated - - -

I was out washing my Tesla in the driveway the other day. I think I'm the only guy in my neighborhood who wrenches and washes my own cars.
Ah . . . I understand washing your car, but there aren't many places on an MS to use a wrench.

Reactions: F_T_K
Over the weekend, I went to Fry's Electronics. Immediately upon parking I was peppered with questions by another customer. Upon my return to the car, a Leaf owner was waiting for me. He didn't have any questions other than wanting to know if I might be willing to allow a test drive in the Tesla in exchange for a test drive in his Leaf. Leafs are boring! I think that I sold another a Tesla.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah . . . I understand washing your car, but there aren't many places on an MS to use a wrench.
I don't know about that! I have seen a LOT of Tesla nuts...several of them just in this "thread"!!!

A few days after we picked up our car (2 weeks ago but feels like forever now!) we drove about 60km away to a small town, just to have a drive. We parked on the street and went into a small diner to get some lunch. As we are eating 10 minutes later, an old fellow comes in, hesitates, and stops by our table. "Are you the Tesla owners? My brother and I are car nuts, and I just phoned him and told him what I was standing in front of!". I said "if you want to make your brother really jealous, I'll take you on a quick ride." So while my wife did some shopping, I showed him what electric could do, and answered all his questions. He was a nice fellow, and it wasn't as creepy as it sounds that he tracked us down into the restaurant!

I was meeting a friend at Starbucks right after Christmas and when I returned to the parking lot I found a young married couple peering into my car. They jumped back apologetically when they saw me turn the corner and began asking the usual questions. After a brief chat, I invited them to take a ride around the block. They had never even seen a Model S up close and were thrilled to ride in one. When we returned, I showed them the frunk and the footwell and they were even more impressed with all of the storage.

Was out mushing with dogs at the local ski resort and had parked my Model S nearby. At some point I was looking after the dogs and heard someone come by excitedly and tell his pals "There's a Tesla parked in the lot, come quick". They all dropped what they were doing and with eyes ablaze went to check out my car ;) I later parked closer to where I was mushing with the dogs so I had some fun seeing how random people went and peeked into the car or walked around it ;) While I re-parked the car next to me had the driver next to it and while I was about to walk away I noticed that he was eyeing the car with a confused look so I asked him if he was confused about the car. He said he better keep away as it looked real nice and expensive. When I told him it's an electric he was baffled and immediately said that it looked more like a sports car and he'd never have thought it electric as he considers electrics as those small hovels (i.e. MiEV, Leaf etc). The moment it dawned on him he asked if THAT's the Tesla ;) Seems the media has hit it home for a lot of people that a decent electric car is a Tesla even though they might not know what it looks like. When I told him I spent 40€ the past month to drive 1600km he told me he didn't need to know that (laughing).

Last night we're on our way into a restaurant, and a woman coming out points at our car and says, "is that electric?"

"Yes"

"So what happens when there's a blackout?"

"Well, the last time there was a major blackout I couldn't fill up my gas car because the stations were all closed - no power for the pumps."

"That's a good point."

Her husband says, "And you can always put solar panels on your roof, right?"

:biggrin:

Nice!

Went to the airport to pick up daughter and son in law for their holiday visit, wife and another daughter in the car, along for the ride and greetings. Lots of luggage so some went in the trunk, some in the frunk. Two women in the next car at the pickup area came over when they saw the hood go up and luggage go in, asking "where is the engine?" Daughter says "there isn't one! It's electric." I say "well there's a motor between the rear wheels." They marvel at the lack of engine, gas or tailpipes. Fun!

I offered my friend and her husband a ride to the airport the other day and she said "thanks but no thanks, we have a lot of luggage." I stood by my offer and told her that I had plenty of room for her luggage. Her husband overheard us talking said, "Babe, he has a Tesla, everything will fit." To her surprise everything did fit and had plenty of room to spare.

Last edited:
Grocery shopping today in my Model S. I come out of the store with a cart full of stuff and open the frunk to put it all in. Two middle aged guys are watching. One actually says "That frunk is cool. And it's a gorgeous car." He knew all about the Model S. Of course, they asked me what it cost. Then they stood around watching while I loaded up the frunk. When I was finished they said, "We want to hear it start up." I said "There's nothing to hear." They said, "That's the point." I drove away in silence with them watching.

Yesterday, there was construction closing a lane. I had my signal on to go into the other lane (while at a stoplight). The guy next to me gestures like crazy for to me to role down my window. I do, and he says "Since you're in a Tesla, and it's such a beautiful car, you can go ahead of me!". I thought that was great considering I'm in San Diego and they're common around here.

I haven't contributed to this thread yet, I have had quite a few Tesla moments, but I'll just share one for now.

As I was driving home from the gym a while back I noticed this Jeep Grand Cherokee trying to move up closer over my right shoulder, I saw him weaving in and out, at first I thought he was just in a hurry, but then he kept looking over his steering wheel right in my direction. He eventually pulled up next to me and motioned for me to roll my window down, I did so and he was like, "I've been following Tesla for a bit, how do you like your car?" I replied that, " I love it, it's the best thing I've ever purchased!" to which he proceeded to ask me more questions about the range, etc. I just thought to myself, "this is the future"

I left the Safeway yesterday at the same time as a couple of firemen who had been shopping. They were razing me about the Cubs jacket I was wearing. I asked if they had seen a Model S yet and they said no, so I invited them over to see. Opened the car up and was showing them around. Asked if they had seen the video of the S being chopped up by the Fremont fire department as a training film. I got a business card from one of the chiefs and told him I would forward the video link to them. While we were talking, a hook and ladder team came over. All in all, about 8 fire fighters were there, talking and asking questions. The only thing that was not so cool was a guy walked passed and said, "another one catch on fire?" Another Telsa fire story reference. Anyway, I offered to bring the car by for one of their training sessions so the station personnel could have a chance to look it over and learn where the safey features are on the car. They said they would contact me.

We had literally picked up our P85 and were on our first drive to have some cupcakes from a place called Sprinkles that is my wife's favorite. We're maybe 10 minutes into owning our car and in the Sprinkles lot a burly guy in a construction truck signals me to roll down the window. He's actually on my wife's side and she rolls it down. He says "Don't you just love it! How long have you had it?" I was embarrassed and should have been honest but I blurted out "A couple weeks". My wife looked at me and rolled her eyes but it was still a cool moment.