Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is one Tesla Moment I had on TV!

That was great coverage. I do wish, however, that there wasn't always so much emphasis on how much the car costs to purchase and more on the TCO with the reduced fuel and maintenance costs. Most people are already used to thinking in terms of how much something like a car or house costs per month, so you'd think it would be an easy discussion to have.

That was great coverage. I do wish, however, that there wasn't always so much emphasis on how much the car costs to purchase and more on the TCO with the reduced fuel and maintenance costs. Most people are already used to thinking in terms of how much something like a car or house costs per month, so you'd think it would be an easy discussion to have.

I know what you mean. The commentators can really put a negative spin, but this is about the best I can expect from the media. :) Quite a few people in my community told me how great it was to see the car and I on the news.

My first tesla moment worthy of posting. I took my 3 year old daughter for her first ride in the tesla. We came to a full stop at a light and I proceeded to step on it. My daughter's reaction was weeeeeeeee! Faster! Roller coaster!

That brought such a huge smile to my face.

I always answer the question, "How much", with "about the same as any other nice car, when you figure you save about 30 to 40 thousand in not buying gas and having maintenance done." If you get into dollars, they immediately put up a mental block, but if you can get them to see that they are already spending the price of a Tesla but they own a Honda, it makes them think.

This morning on the way into work an Elk crossed in front of me on the road. Didn't think much of it since there are many Elk in the area. Shortly after I drove past a baby came hobbling out from the woods to cross the street to follow the mother that had just crossed. It was too cute so I decided to pull over to try and take a picture. I expected it to keep following it's mother. Instead it was more interested in my car than catching up with it's mother. I probably could have taken a better picture, but I kept moving forward hoping it would move along. Soon we were holding up traffic with the baby elk standing in the middle of the road with me pulled off to the side and I needed to leave.

IMG_20150617_071312.jpg

But hey even Elk like the car and have to have a look. :biggrin:

My first tesla moment worthy of posting. I took my 3 year old daughter for her first ride in the tesla. We came to a full stop at a light and I proceeded to step on it. My daughter's reaction was weeeeeeeee! Faster! Roller coaster!

you need to make a video of it like this one:
Tesla- Again! again! - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: EvolutionTeʂla

My kids also love the acceleration. They start yelling "faster faster" when they see a car passing us, lol.

This isn't exactly a "Tesla moment", but it made me grin nevertheless.

I was at a computer networking conference today (Open Networking Summit in Santa Clara, CA), listening to a speaker talk about these new-fangled Software Defined Networks and how you really need to architect your network to use this technology optimally / correctly. If you don't, he said, "It's like buying a Tesla, cutting a hole in the bottom, and driving it like Fred Flintstone."
Santa Clara will be very familiar with Tesla vehicles a month from now. :)

- - - Updated - - -

But hey even Elk like the car and have to have a look. :biggrin:
Nice pic!

Bob - I'm on the same boat as you. Now, I'm looking into selling my other ICE car to get a new Tesla. #4 happened to me in the mall. :redface:

I had my own Tesla moment in reverse today. It was raining quite heavily in Ottawa today but we needed to pick up plants at a local nursery as it was our only free day to do this chore.
So I had to drive our old 1993 ICE Lexus 400 as I surely did not want to dirty the inside of our lovely Model S, especially in the heavy rain. My saga follows:

1. First of all I had to use a key to start the car.

2. Well, as I tried to put the Lexus in gear, the windscreen wipers started swishing back and forth. What have I done? Why won't the car move? It turns out that my Lexus wipers are in the same position as The Model S's DRN lever!!

3 During our drive I kept saying to my wife that I preferred driving our Tesla.

4. We finally arrived at our destination; We got out of the car to look at the plants. We started walking away towards the nursery when my wife kindly reminded me - "The car is still going Dear!"

5. After selecting our plants I went to the car so that I could use it to pick up the plants. With an umbrella in hand I actually had to struggle to use a key to open the car door! I was not a Happy Camper as the longer it took to open the door, the wetter I became despite the assistance of an umbrella.

6. It was also necessary to back the old car up a narrow lane to collect the plants to avoid the downpour so we could load the car without getting too wet! Well, did I miss the camera view and, most of all, the lines in the back-up screen. It was hard to see with the pouring rain. The big screen camera would have been of much assistance.

7. I also kept thinking that I will have to fill the car up with gas soon!!!

Driving along 495 during rush-hour, bumper to bumper as usual. A moving truck kept pulling along side me and was 'gently' honking his horn a few times. I thought he was trying to get in, but instead he just wanted to get my attention. The driver proceeded to stick his hand out his window, point at my car and then gave me the "A-okay" sign several times.

Neat stuff and made me smile.

We had a Tesla moment the other day. We went shopping at Citti Grossmarkt in Flensburg. We left the car in the charging stall (provided for free) and did our shopping. When we came back a middle-aged couple was waiting for us by the car.

They told us they had been waiting for 10 minutes because they really wanted to ask questions about the car from an actual owner. We answered everything from range, to the classic: "how do you charge it?" Gave them the tour of the insides, after 30 minutes we parted ways and I have the firm feeling that their BMW 645 will be sold of as soon as they can get a Tesla.

Btw, why do people always ask where/how we charge the car? We have a house, it has these things called power-sockets and magic electricity flows from them. It's not like people ask me how I charge my new phone. ;)

I assume you meant you plugged it in, and not just parked? if so, I'm surprised they couldn't figure out that they just witnessed a car being charged.

This is the "message" that Tesla needs to convey when Model 3 arrives because at its price point the gas and maintenance costs will make a huge contribution to the total cost of ownership. Model S's TCO is harder to swallow because of the higher point of entry price wise. To me Model S at the moment is still about the mission to prove that EVs are better in every way by blowing the doors off ICE vehicles with performance. That's what gets the media attention despite their OCD focus on its purchase cost.

I picked up MS up last Wednesday, so its brand spanking new, super white, and clean, etc. Since then I've had way more attention in this car than any other, kinda odd at this point and hopefully they will be a little more common. Questions walking into stores from lots, driving pics, etc. People seem to really like the look of it overall and are curious about BEVs for sure.

Out for a drive to a small neighbouring city today... where there are even fewer Teslas than the 5 where I live (i.e., I don't think there are any there...). Driving along a section of 4 lane in town, I became aware of another vehicle pulling up to drive almost even with me. I glanced over and saw red paint and a silver Tesla side marker. Apparently, I was driving next to a truck delivering a mirror! But no, it was a red P85D, sitting exactly where a reflection of my own car would be situated. It was a double-take moment for sure!

Out for a drive to a small neighbouring city today... where there are even fewer Teslas than the 5 where I live (i.e., I don't think there are any there...). Driving along a section of 4 lane in town, I became aware of another vehicle pulling up to drive almost even with me. I glanced over and saw red paint and a silver Tesla side marker. Apparently, I was driving next to a truck delivering a mirror! But no, it was a red P85D, sitting exactly where a reflection of my own car would be situated. It was a double-take moment for sure!

The same thing happened to me the other day in Ottawa. I was driving on the 417 when I saw a lady waving at me as she passed me - I thought she was giving me an approval sign for the car - when she passed me I saw the Tesla symbol. The first time I have seen another Tesla on the 417! I had trouble catching up ( she was moving) to wave back.

Driving my S85D to drop my 8-year-old off at day-camp this morning...camp is at an elementary school, a typical curb-side dropoff scenario. Pulled up to the curb, waited for my kid to pick up his stuff and hop out. A camp staffer came over to walk him in to the building. We all smiled at each other, as if waiting for something to happen, for a couple seconds. Then I remembered (duh!) to put the car in Park to get the door handles to extend. With that part worked out, the staffer opened the door, and said, "Those door handles are so cool! I've never opened the door on a Tesla before!" I am not sure which of the three of us had a bigger grin. :)

Driving my S85D to drop my 8-year-old off at day-camp this morning...camp is at an elementary school, a typical curb-side dropoff scenario. Pulled up to the curb, waited for my kid to pick up his stuff and hop out. A camp staffer came over to walk him in to the building. We all smiled at each other, as if waiting for something to happen, for a couple seconds. Then I remembered (duh!) to put the car in Park to get the door handles to extend. With that part worked out, the staffer opened the door, and said, "Those door handles are so cool! I've never opened the door on a Tesla before!" I am not sure which of the three of us had a bigger grin. :)

Sometimes I pick up my niece from elementary school. She thinks she's hot s*&^ when I pick her up. Yep, she's spoiled. :smile: