Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a small moment yesterday. I had to pick up some grocery items so had parked in the very busy lot. As I came out I noticed someone putting their cart back was intently looking at my Model S. I got in, waited for a car to finish parking, and pulled out. From the corner of my eye the fellow was rooted to the spot at the carts, staring at the car with his mouth open. It reminded me of the look on the psychiatrist's face in the scene in Terminator 2 when the psychiatrist sees the liquid metal Terminator squeeze himself through the bars (a classic scene, I might add!).
View attachment 86350

Nicely described! I was right there with you seeing what you just told :)

Today I was sitting at a red light, waiting for my chance to hang a right. I noticed a SUV coming around me going the opposite way, making a left. The driver had his bright neon lime green phone hanging out the window *filming* my Roadster as he made the turn. I've gotten pretty used to this car attracting attention, but that was a bit surreal, and I had to laugh.

Took a ~1,000 mile roundtrip (DC-> Boston -> DC). So many people staring at the car, I guess I never pay attention to it because I'm usually driving.

My wife was playing tag with another Tesla for ~100 miles, he caught up to us at the CT Supercharger, had a great laugh. Chatted with people at every supercharger, heh. Great community of Tesla owners.

One specific thing that stands out, we were at a red light and this car of 20-something year olds pulls up, rolls down the window and motions for us to do the same (they saw VA plate, and we were in MA). "How do you charge to go on a roadtrip?" I tell them "There are superchargers along I95, you can stop grab a cup of coffee, rest a little and continue on. O yeah, they're free!" "FREE??????" [jaw dropped, shocking look from all 5 of them]

I work from home, and while I had my last car, I would sometimes go days without driving away from my house. One of the things I would sometimes do is go to the park which is just out of walking distance to walk their trails. It seemed like a waste of gas to crank the car just to go about two miles there and then two miles back.

Well, obviously, now I'm looking for reasons to drive and am not interested in staying home for a week at a time. So, my doctor will be pleased to know that I make it out to that park several times a week, because I know that the walking is good for me AND I get to drive a cool car.

Because I'm narcissistic, I'll turn off the climate and open the pano roof before I pull into the park so I can hear anything people are saying as I silently glide by at 10mph. I'll also do this on the way out, and finally, after a few weeks, I finally passed some kids who knew what the car was.

"Oh wow, he's driving a Tesla!"

"You can't hear it AT ALL!"

"You can't hear it because IT'S ELECTRIC"

While Georgia is one of the largest markets for EV's in the US (at least before June 30th) and there are a bunch of Tesla owners here, Tesla's are rare in my area of suburban Metro Atlanta. I find that most people actually don't recognize the car when I'm out and about, or if they do, they pay no attention. It was actually middle school age kids going to the skate ramps in the park that actually recognized what they were seeing and saying how cool it was. I actually get more visible looks when I visit the office in Chattanooga than I do down here.

It was actually middle school age kids going to the skate ramps in the park that actually recognized what they were seeing and saying how cool it was.

I noticed that too. It's mostly school age kids who notice my car, so it's not a local thing. Many more kids notice it/know what it is than adults, from what I've seen so far.

"You can't hear it AT ALL!"

This! When we were driving out from the in-laws last weekend, I get a comment "so are you going to turn on the engine or what?" (after a weekend of me driving them around in my car)

Pulled up to a stoplight, second in line behind a convertible. The driver of the convertible unbuckled their seatbelt, turned around while climbing out of their seat, and stood up in their car while facing me and giving me two thumbs up.

I was not expecting that. My 15-year-old son sitting next to me almost died laughing.

Ok that didn't take long. My first Tesla moment.

Girlfriend sitting in passenger seat, ignoring me! She had an important work email to answer apparently. I can't believe that was more important than me, but whatever!
So when her guard was down, I pressed the throttle, the phone pivoted from her hands on to her nose. I had a big laugh. She had a big laugh. And I got the attention I deserved.

My wife inadvertently did that to me over the weekend. We were getting back on the freeway after a lunch stop. One of my sons asked me to get him a book out of a bag on the floor next to my feet. I started to lean forward as she started to accelerate. I found myself quickly moving the wrong direction and we all laughed.

We did a Toronto <-> New York road trip two days after delivery and met a dozen people at superchargers, who just drive over from the parking space or walk over and chat with us to the point where we were leaving with full range charges all the time.

Put the car in valet mode when parking in Times Square, and the attendant says "Tesla! Fast car huh?" and I said "not for you". ;-)

You got the bug and now your hypermiling sport is getting ruined. ;) Don't worry though, what you're doing is way more fun than hypermiling.

Yes, but I get a puzzled look when in the middle of an argument I suggest "honey lets go for a drive" .. I need a smooth way out of that.
Actually, even with the 'spirited driving' yesterday, I still managed to get 325 kwh. I've been averaging 260 kwh on my 70D.
The 70D is an AWESOME purchase, and no I have not missed the 85D one bit.
I see you are getting yours today, same color as mine :), man its awesome! Take pictures, the car is ridonkulous.

Coming into work this morning, I noticed two city workers in a truck behind me. I didn't think anything about it. A couple of miles later I pull into my parking lot and they pull in right behind me.

I open the door, and they said, "What the *(#$# kind of car is THAT?" It was pretty funny. I showed them around and they were genuinely amazed. They said they noticed the car handles while driving and said to themselves, "I have NO idea what kind of car that is so I'm gunna follow it!"

Yes, but I get a puzzled look when in the middle of an argument I suggest "honey lets go for a drive" .. I need a smooth way out of that.
Actually, even with the 'spirited driving' yesterday, I still managed to get 325 kwh. I've been averaging 260 kwh on my 70D.
The 70D is an AWESOME purchase, and no I have not missed the 85D one bit.
I see you are getting yours today, same color as mine :), man its awesome! Take pictures, the car is ridonkulous.

Kinda paying a little more attenting to the kwh use too, figuring out my average to work/home, etc. I typically only use 1.8kw to get to work, average around 275 or so in traffic, and top out around 295 when I have to go up that dang parking garage 9 floors, but seems to be my average. The thing that I'm eventually brining down some is the lifetime kwh of around 350 I think or so which is still higher due to the initial like 5-10 miles at factory where they maxed out the car for a long while nonstop it seemed. Took delivery with 11 miles on it ;-) Only have around 525 miles now a few weeks later with all my excuses to find to drive too.

I've kinda wanted to drive more to bring the batter down but even my longest trips so far haven't taken it down below say 100 or 95 miles range remaining... ug!

-T

The thing that I'm eventually brining down some is the lifetime kwh of around 350.

-T

Ha. Wait until winter and you'll be happy with 350 Wh/mi. I have 22,500 miles after taking delivery last September. My Wh/mi has been dropping due to spring and summer usage without heat but still my lifetime Wh/mi is at 349. Expecting to be at 340 when I hit the one year mark. It's more about enjoying the car than saving Wh/mi for me.

I think or so which is still higher due to the initial like 5-10 miles at factory where they maxed out the car for a long while nonstop it seemed.

I'm not sure that's possible?

11 miles out of 525miles is about 2% of your lifetime. They'd need to do ~3,700Wh/mi (is that even possible?) at the factory to get your lifetime average to 350Wh/mi if you averaged 285wh/mi on the other 514 miles of your journey.

Had a great moment yesterday. I've had the car a couple weeks and of course getting a bunch of attention on the road and thumbs up, etc. What was super cool for me was there were public chargers at the beach and after parking, going on rides with the kids, and eating at a pizza place, coming back and the car was fully charged -- for free! Very cool!