Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, well, I have strong opinions about not sending money to Kentucky or Wyoming for coal ;), but that's the only way to power
even an EV around here. In the PNW you have the environmental "luxury" of hydroelectric power, so you can be ultra-green, but we
don't have any major majestic rivers available to dam up around here (we certainly would if we could!) ;)

Cheap hydro is an advantage to the PNW, but you probably have more sunny days than most places west of the Cascades (summers are usually very sunny here, but winters have frequent overcast). Indiana also has better wind power potential than most of the western states.
Unlocking Our Nation’s Wind Potential

Different renewable energies for different regions.

How else am I going to grill? :mad:

Barbecue briquets can be made from wood or other biomass.

Today I assisted a friend's company in providing a Tesla-only motorcade to a funeral (cremation actually).
Five Model S's were used to provide transportation for those closest to a true Tesla fan on his final journey. (In the center of The Netherlands.) Especially moving was taking a small detour, passing by the company he built and had already retired from. All available staff paid tribute to him by lining up along the roadside.
From all the 'Tesla moments' I've experienced over the past years, this was the most powerful one.

(Surprisingly, he drove a Prius.)

Had a repeat Tesla moment that I haven't experienced since soon after I got my car this morning coming into work.

A kid walking down the street in my neighborhood stopped, mouth agape, staring. He started waving and smiling as I glided past him. I chuckled and returned his wave and smile, glancing to the rear camera to see him watching my car drive away.

I thought my neighborhood had been mostly desensitized to my Model S by now (in fact, given my eclectic schedule, they probably assume I'm just the local drug kingpin) but I guess there are a few who still get excited when they see one of our cars (myself included :D ).

I've even noticed a couple more Model S drivers (and at least one Model X) in my little corner of the world. I've been waving to you, but I never seem to be in a position to do the Tesla headlight flash without confusing surrounding traffic :confused:

I've even noticed a couple more Model S drivers (and at least one Model X) in my little corner of the world. I've been waving to you, but I never seem to be in a position to do the Tesla headlight flash without confusing surrounding traffic :confused:

Yeah, the good news is there are more MS's and MX's here than ever before, the bad news is, we're pretty common now.
I get sad when I pass a Model S and wave or make eye contact with a big grin and the other driver is oblivious - it's like how can they miss how cool it is to drive that car!?!? (course, it's harder to connect the dots when I'm in the prius :()

Yeah, the good news is there are more MS's and MX's here than ever before, the bad news is, we're pretty common now.
I get sad when I pass a Model S and wave or make eye contact with a big grin and the other driver is oblivious - it's like how can they miss how cool it is to drive that car!?!? (course, it's harder to connect the dots when I'm in the prius :()

I guess the best thing we can do is keep waving like lunatics.

You coming out to Pearmund next weekend with everyone?

Hi, @CatB, @kevinf311,

I'll wave to you! I try to be fast enough to stick my hand out the window and give a thumbs-up. Or at least a headlight flash or wave. Sadly, my reflexes suck. :) But I've noticed that down here in DC, the vast majority of Tesla drivers either don't seem to notice or don't care to respond. :-( :-( I don't now why that is. I get it that there are a lot of Tesla down here in the DC area, but I'm coming from the Boston suburbs and there were quite a few Teslas there.

Even after three years of ownership, I continue to think this is the most special car, and those who choose to buy it are always interesting people!

Alan

P.S. What's Pearmund?

Totally agree on your assessment of the car and its owners :cool:

Pearmund is a vineyard in Virginia. A while back, @mrjwen set up an event there to celebrate them installing some HPWC as destination chargers. We liked it so much he has set up another trip.

Details can be found in the DC Area Tesla Club group ( Event: Pearmund Meetup - Sunday, July 31st ).

Would be great to meet you if you can make it!

Pearmund is a vineyard in Virginia. A while back, @mrjwen set up an event there to celebrate them installing some HPWC as destination chargers. We liked it so much he has set up another trip.

Details can be found in the DC Area Tesla Club group ( Event: Pearmund Meetup - Sunday, July 31st ).

Thanks for info... went to that thread... saw the picture... what a terrifying, rum-and-scurvy lot! :)

What do you do with a hyperactive, attention-seeking, 11-year old boy in this setting?

I'll consult The Boss about whether we/I want/can/will go! Thanks for passing this along.

Alan

P.S. Also, I have "insufficient privileges to reply" in that event thread. Very smart! Not wise to allow me to reply! :)

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler

Sorry to miss Pearmund the second time around, but TMC is a much higher priority for me - especially since an awesome friend is letting me be his +1 for GF party. Maybe we can do a 3rd visit in the Fall (preferably when I'm not traveling for work!).
@Pollux - so psyched you're in this area - I was very inspired by your perfect Tesla raffle, and would love to know if you and your better half (or better 3rd if your Tesla is now "family") have similar plans to get involved in MD lobbying :)

.... I've been waving to you, but I never seem to be in a position to do the Tesla headlight flash without confusing surrounding traffic :confused:
I promise to always wave, smile and/or flash my brights to acknowledge the kin of a fellow ms'er (or mx) on the road. I live just over the dc boarder in Clarendon. There's a couple of Tesla's in the area, but for the most part it's a rare. When you see a silver ms, please wave back at me. I'm the guy who looks like :D

I promise to always wave, smile and/or flash my brights to acknowledge the kin of a fellow ms'er (or mx) on the road. I live just over the dc boarder in Clarendon. There's a couple of Tesla's in the area, but for the most part it's a rare. When you see a silver ms, please wave back at me. I'm the guy who looks like :D

I will keep an eye out for sure!

And since I derailed this thread so handily, as penance here is another Tesla moment from a little while back:

A coworker was leaving to move on to another position so we had a lunch outing with him (like you do). He carpooled out with one coworker but noted for the return trip that he needed "one last ride in the Tesla" before leaving us so he rode back with me (Tesla Grin at every on-ramp). Then, before the end of the day, we needed to head to another building and when asked if we were driving or walking he replied "well if we're taking *your* car, definitely drive!"

There are too many Teslas in the metro DC area. My wife and I always try to make eye contact, wave or nod. 95% of people don't notice, so we kind of stopped and are now in the i-won't-wave-at-you-first-but-do-notice-you-and-will-reciprocate group.

I was always a gear head growing up, mostly restoring antique cars. I got into BMWs after learning to drive on my fathers 72 Bavaria. I went through a few 2002 Tiis between me and dad. I got bit by the performance bug and got a 02 BMWZ8. Modified with Dinan everything. I joined an exotic car club but with 460 hp on tap I was still in the low end when we rented out a runway twice a year for drag racing. This changed when I got a P85D for a daily driver. I showed up last year with the blue beast and promptly shocked a lot of lambo, Ferrari and Porsche drivers. They all knew about Tesla of course, they just couldn't believe how the car would dig off the line. Many members grumbled about the car and ribbed me a lot but when I would line up for a run two or three members always jumped in the car for a ride. This would work against me for a great time by hauling an extra 800 lbs. I did change a lot of minds though. Still waiting for my ludicrous upgrade to take it to the next level.