Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the "message" that Tesla needs to convey when Model 3 arrives because at its price point the gas and maintenance costs will make a huge contribution to the total cost of ownership. Model S's TCO is harder to swallow because of the higher point of entry price wise. To me Model S at the moment is still about the mission to prove that EVs are better in every way by blowing the doors off ICE vehicles with performance. That's what gets the media attention despite their OCD focus on its purchase cost.

Funny, Tesla's been trying to say how much it costs per month with gas savings, and people have been complaining. :p However, I really don't think that manufacturers will have a problem shifting 200-rated BEVs at $35k, as long as they are BEV-peppy with <= 7s 0-60, especially in countries with high gas prices, and that includes cars that'd rely on slow-fast DC chargers. I really, truly believe that there's pent-up demand waiting for the cars. And I think that Toyota's going to be staring down the barrel of a gun. People didn't trust hybrids and within 10 years consideration had reached 80%. Same will happen with long-range BEV, and growth potential is higher than hybrid because the overall experience is better.

Sooo ... this happened a few weeks ago, I've been too busy to post. A minor event, but it did make me giggle a bit.

I had just dropped a passenger off at the seaplane terminal in Nanaimo, BC and pulled out of the parking/dropoff area. This put me turning right onto the curb lane of two northbound lanes, then immediate stop at a red traffic light. Another car pulled up in the lane to the left of me - older guy with white hair and bushy white beard driving a convertible 'hot rod' style car. His car was well-polished and, I suspect, had a few performance enhancements. It was a warm day, so his top was down and I had all windows fully open.

Immediately ahead of this traffic light, the two lanes merged into one, with my lane disappearing, so I was going to have to merge left. The guy beside me motioned and got my attention, indicating that I could pull in front at the merge. I gave a "thank you" wave. He then said ...

"No way am I going to race a Tesla!"

:biggrin:

Two reports.
On Friday we had a company cookout for lunch. During the event, they have big maps of the US and the world posted to the board and ask people to pin their summer vacation destinations to the maps, one color pin for driving, a different color pin for flying (yes, driving didn't make much sense for the world map). So, I tack pins to the map at most of the 60ish superchargers we plan to hit during our VA-to-WA-to-San Diego-and-back trip with notes that we're doing it in a Tesla. Turns out it was a contest and besides the employee vacationing in Australia I win the "most adventuresome road trip" prize, a VISA gift card. When they call me up to claim it, they say "Here, you can use this for gas" with a wink. I had a couple people come up to me to ask about how I was charging and explained the superchargers and pulled up the US map on my phone. Don't think I sold any cars but I think I got some people thinking. And yes, I am looking to make a big move up the Most Superchargers Visited wiki contest.

Then today, we had to drive to SE West Virginia and back and without the superchargers on I81 we had to take the ICE. I get in the ICE and immediately hit the stalk to activate the wipers, thinking I was putting the car in gear. Then to add insult to injury our navigation for the day was a little Garmin box. A couple times I got surprised by a few upcoming turns that were announced only a few tenths of a mile beforehand. And there were a few times in merges where I stepped on the gas and counted to three before the car responded. I know these are first world issues but I'm now a big fan of the supercharger buildout on I81 in VA.

I am not sure how any of you can single out which 'Tesla moment' is the most thread worthy. We've had so many memorable storyworthy moments, that I would I could almost organize them by category, chapter, or state! Angel

I often look for this thread and try to make it the last thing to read before leaving the website - especially if my preceding reads have been mostly FUD's or contentious arguments about the good and bad qualities of the MS. Feel-good therapy.:biggrin:

Not sure if this is the right place but had my first test drive of a Tesla today. Loved it, really fantastic car and I would buy one today if I could justify the price. As it is, the test drive cemented my intention to put money down on a model 3 the second that they open up reservations.

Not sure if this is the right place but had my first test drive of a Tesla today. Loved it, really fantastic car and I would buy one today if I could justify the price. As it is, the test drive cemented my intention to put money down on a model 3 the second that they open up reservations.

Apart from sticker price, be aware of much lower cost of fuel and maintenance. Count all the costs together, over a ten year period, and even the most pricey Model S is cheaper than any similar spec'ed ICE car. It's just a question of giving less money to the gas station and mechanic, and more to the financing institute.

Apart from sticker price, be aware of much lower cost of fuel and maintenance. Count all the costs together, over a ten year period, and even the most pricey Model S is cheaper than any similar spec'ed ICE car. It's just a question of giving less money to the gas station and mechanic, and more to the financing institute.

And given CPOs have been bought in the 40s-60s, the reasons to wait become harder to justify.

The most memorable moment made me wish I'd had a GoPro on the dash - it would have gone viral.

My mechanic of most of my driving life is now in his 70's, Italian, running his own shop. He had a Mercedes, BMW, Volvo dealership (all at once!) back in his younger years. Now he enjoys running his independent shop, training the young guys and talking to the customers. If you have a Ferrari (not many people do around here!), he's the guy. There's a Testarossa on display in the front floor area, a 348 in the lot and a Dino in pieces in the back. Over the years he's become more my friend than my mechanic! But bottom line, an old-school, Italian petrol-head if there ever was one.

I gave him plenty of warning that I was buying the Tesla, because I knew it would be hard to swallow. The diesel E-Class I'd been driving had been reliable and really, there was no reason to get rid of it. He humored my through the process, telling me that "you're an engineer, you should know what you're doing". Perhaps a statement, perhaps a warning!

So when I showed up on a Saturday and offered him a ride, he was clearly skeptical and curious all at the same time. Walked around it several times, commenting on how nice the lines were. Beautiful red, better than Ferrari's. Looking at the space inside, the details... becoming more impressed.

We drove off, gently, down the local streets while I pointed out some of the basic elements inside. Over the river on a narrow old wooden bridge to an industrial area on the other side. Nobody around, so I came to a stop and immediately launched it.

His eyes went wide and his arms came up... "Jesus Christ!"... "Momma Mia!" (apparently Italians do say this for real, it's not just a movie stereotype). He went from sombre to laughing like a kid on a carnival ride in about a quarter of a second. I pulled over and let him drive (the only person I've bestowed the honour). Out onto the highway, a few more launches, past the exit to the shop, up the hill another 6 or 8 km before turning around and driving back.

"It drives like an S-Class... very solid, very smooth... amazing acceleration... probably quicker than my Daytona was!"

To be compared favorably to both Mercedes and Ferrari in essentially the same sentence is high praise, believe me.

When we got back to the shop, he got out with either a defeated or chastised look on his face. Quietly, he told me he had to apologize... he'd had friends for dinner a few days earlier and had told them about me and my purchase and had evidently said some not-so-complimentary things about EV's and perhaps my intelligence... "I was wrong" he said, "this is a really nice car..."

And then the final seal of approval - very quietly almost to himself - "I would buy this car..."

That's a fantastic story, and you told it very well! Excellent!
Thank you! And as an interesting bit of follow-up... he called me yesterday afternoon to invite me to his 45th anniversary open house coming up soon. He's going to have a few classics from those years on display and... would I mind bringing the Tesla and letting him show it as 'The Future Car'?

He's still enamoured with it and wants me to leave it for the day as the showpiece. Apparently I'll be given a loaner ICE while he has it! :redface:

Of course I said 'yes'...!

Thank you! And as an interesting bit of follow-up... he called me yesterday afternoon to invite me to his 45th anniversary open house coming up soon. He's going to have a few classics from those years on display and... would I mind bringing the Tesla and letting him show it as 'The Future Car'?

He's still enamoured with it and wants me to leave it for the day as the showpiece. Apparently I'll be given a loaner ICE while he has it! :redface:

Of course I said 'yes'...!

Is the loaner ICE the Testarossa?

We were invited to spend the 4th at the waterfront home of old friends. When we arrived around 3, there were a few extra cars in the driveway. Their two now grown sons, a friend of the boys, and the eldest son's girlfriend were still there (home for a visit from MD). We hadn't seen the boys in years, they are now in their mid and late 20s. After the hugs and hellos, the very next topic they brought up was "nice car!". Of course one asked " you don't have the one with Insane Mode, right? ". They knew a lot about the car, but all refused my offer of a test drive, unfortunately. They left minutes after we arrived, so I have a sneaking suspicion they were hanging around to see the car.

I had a small moment yesterday. I had to pick up some grocery items so had parked in the very busy lot. As I came out I noticed someone putting their cart back was intently looking at my Model S. I got in, waited for a car to finish parking, and pulled out. From the corner of my eye the fellow was rooted to the spot at the carts, staring at the car with his mouth open. It reminded me of the look on the psychiatrist's face in the scene in Terminator 2 when the psychiatrist sees the liquid metal Terminator squeeze himself through the bars (a classic scene, I might add!).
T2-Escape.jpg