Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First mini-moment happened today in the first 30 minutes of driving the car; going from picking it up at the service center to the detailer for Xpel. I was stopped at a light and finally no trucks around so I rolled down the windows. A car pulls up to the right of me and yells "Nice car!" I of course say an enthusiastic "Thanks!" and then the other passenger yells "How's it drive?" I said "Amazing, unlike anything else." Smiles all around. :)

It's really exciting to see that other people are just as excited to SEE the car and it makes me really happy with my choice.

Edit: Oh yeah second moment was at the detailer! I pulled up and the woman I was meeting was outside so she just directed me where to park. I pull in and get out and while she's talking to me I pop the truck. She turns around and is startled to see my 3 year old sitting there in the rear facing seats!

- - - Updated - - -

I see you are getting yours today, same color as mine :), man its awesome! Take pictures, the car is ridonkulous.
I absolutely will. Hopefully this weekend. My 3 year old took the pictures at the service center and all you can tell is that there's something blue she was looking at. ;)

Last edited:
Today was the perfect day to try out the turn signal pass maneuver. I came up behind a cement truck going 55, cruise set to 60. The 85D cruise light turned blue, ahh I'm tracking him, my speed matches his...time to pass, but wait! There is an old white Ford pickup in the left lane right beside me and he is not moving. Finally he speeds up a little and I look over to a big "thumbs up". I give him one back and he drops back quickly. Then I floor it to pass the cement truck, 85 in a split second to just put a smile on the older gentleman's face in the white Ford. I'll have to do the turn signal trick another day, just had to show off a bit for someone whom I'm sure appreciated it.

I always thought you people who left your car running and left were just exaggerating or trying to make a funny.

Well I have a rental car today (mine is getting the handle fixed and AC compressor inspected), and I walk out of the rental, get my bag and start walking to work. I think the headlights being on is what triggered it, but I had to go back to the car, turn off the ignition, take the keys out and lock the door.

Here's a bizarre one: I left the garage door up as we were packing our other vehicle and a female cardinal got stuck in there. Trying to mate with Big Red, perhaps? I was able to usher the bird out without too much hassle, but she liked the red car, there's no doubt!

- - - Updated - - -

I get a form of "culture shock" every time I drive our ICE car: I have to push buttons, use brakes (a lot!), and manually turn on headlights and windshield wipers. Stopping at the gas station is perhaps the most disappointing thing (next to the absolute lack of acceleration!)
I always thought you people who left your car running and left were just exaggerating or trying to make a funny.

Well I have a rental car today (mine is getting the handle fixed and AC compressor inspected), and I walk out of the rental, get my bag and start walking to work. I think the headlights being on is what triggered it, but I had to go back to the car, turn off the ignition, take the keys out and lock the door.

Fun one from yesterday. I parked in a nice garage in downtown Baltimore and went to pick up some stuff and catch up with an old high school friend. I came back a couple of hours later and there is a guy peering into my car and he was so embarrassed cause I caught him looking into the window.

He says I'm so sorry! I have never seen the inside of one! So I said well then come on into the passenger side and sit down.

He was astonished. He said No way! I showed him the controls and he snaps some pictures of the dash and screen.

He was so appreciative and left with an, that's an awesome car dude and thanks for making my day. :)

So we don't own a Tesla, but are considering a CPO car in a few months now that our Chevy Volt's lease is up. While I have had a lot on conversationa about our Volt over the last three years, most were initiated by me (a total car guy). I was just talking to my wife about this thread and we decided the difference with the Model S is that it simply LOOKS nice (often confused with a Maserati, Jag, etc. at first glance). THIS is what folks first see and are attracted to, at which point they either realize it is a Tesla or have no idea and are curious (in either case they want to know more).

While our gen 1 Volt looks a bit different, it is hardly classically beautiful, and has some common Chevy design elements...basically, it just doesn't get "noticed" most of the time. As a comparison, I had a BMW i3 for a 3 day test drive and got more thumbs up in 3 days than I did in 3 years with the Volt. I know there is little love for the i3 here on this forum, but there is no denying its um "unusual" styling catches your eye. I've found car people consider it hideous looking whereas regular folk often find it "interesting or cool" (ok, some find it ugly too). Finally, the generation 2 Volt (also on my list) is probably better looking than gen 1.0, but is also more vanilla...I predict it will also go unnoticed by the masses...

He says I'm so sorry! I have never seen the inside of one! So I said well then come on into the passenger side and sit down. He was astonished. He said No way! I showed him the controls and he snaps some pictures of the dash and screen. He was so appreciative and left with an, that's an awesome car dude and thanks for making my day. :)
I had a similar experience this June while stopped and waiting to be let through a road repair project on Hwy 120, the Tioga Pass section, in Yosemite. A long line of cars had been waiting for over 15 minutes and people were getting out and walking around. I was chatting about Tesla with an American guy just ahead of me when a German tourist walks up from somewhere in back of me to look at the car. I invite him to sit in the driver's seat and my wife shows him the touchscreen features and talks about the car. We get the signal that the line is going to move soon, he gets out and is all excited and tells me I've made his day, getting to sit in a Tesla and see how it works. So even though there are multiple showrooms in Germany and cars on the road, and this guy was clearly interested in Tesla, this was his first experience inside a Model S! He was stoked.

I had a similar experience this June while stopped and waiting to be let through a road repair project on Hwy 120, the Tioga Pass section, in Yosemite. A long line of cars had been waiting for over 15 minutes and people were getting out and walking around. I was chatting about Tesla with an American guy just ahead of me when a German tourist walks up from somewhere in back of me to look at the car. I invite him to sit in the driver's seat and my wife shows him the touchscreen features and talks about the car. We get the signal that the line is going to move soon, he gets out and is all excited and tells me I've made his day, getting to sit in a Tesla and see how it works. So even though there are multiple showrooms in Germany and cars on the road, and this guy was clearly interested in Tesla, this was his first experience inside a Model S! He was stoked.

It's fantastic isn't it?

Off topic but I was on a Ferrari forum and there are signatures in some postings that said, "the tesla is a glorified slot car and lacks soul. And I will gladly pass it on my way to the next gas station"

SMH

It's fantastic isn't it?

Off topic but I was on a Ferrari forum and there are signatures in some postings that said, "the tesla is a glorified slot car and lacks soul. And I will gladly pass it on my way to the next gas station"

SMH

Eh, i still like my vinyl occasionally too, but i don't have a turntable in my car or in my office.

Nothing wrong with enjoying some ancient technology.

Small world.

We've had our Tesla Model S for two weeks, and done almost 3000 km and visited superchargers 11 times.

On our way back from the beach today, we're at Barrie (ON CA) supercharger when a P85D pulls up. We chat with the owner and find out he is a fellow TMC member, one whom I had personally gone back/forth with in a thread for a few days when he was buying his car a few months ago, and he's from southern US on a big road trip himself, and we happened to meet up in the 30 minutes I happened to be at an Ontario charger. Crazy small world!

Griot's Garage, a car care specialty shop, has a storefront near where I live. I stopped by today to ask for some advice on removing what we've ultimately decided was probably some road salt residue. While we tested out a couple of their products to see which would work best, another employee stopped by with his camera to take some pictures of my car. I've seen some phenomenal cars on their showroom floor and in their parking lot in the past so I thought that was funny until...

Griot's frequently allows car clubs to host shows and cruise-ins in their lot. This weekend, an Oldsmobile 442 club was having a show. There were some really beautiful mid-to-late 60s muscle cars on display. I parked nearby and my son and I walked over to check out some of the cars. While we were enjoying the car show, someone else left the show to go take pictures of my car, then came back to the 442s. Not long after, I saw another dad with his son walking to the show stop and start walking around my car, taking pictures, pointing, and doing most everything we were doing with the cars on display. Made me wish it was cleaner. I went over to talk to him and answer some questions. After we talked for a few minutes, he turned to his son and told him he was looking at the modern equivalent of the muscle cars that were there for the show.

Then, on the way home, we happened to drive up behind another new Model S that still had paper plates on it. It was going about the same speed as we were, but my kids egged me on to catch him so they could wave. I did, and they did. The driver was wearing his new Tesla Owner's hat and cracked up laughing as I pulled up along side and he looked over to see my wife and kids looking over and waving to him.

Last edited:
I used to own Porsche 356's. Yes, they have "soul". But this is the 21st century. It's time to move on from 19th century technology and embrace the future. Driving a Tesla is like driving the future, but I get to do it every day, right now!